Becoming a Spender... It's Hard!

>> 8.26.2009

For years, I've been contributing every extra dime I have to my house savings account. I meticulously tracked every dollar spent and lived simply in order to save what I could. The right time to buy the house has finally come and instead of embracing the excitement of the process, I'm obsessing over my shrinking bank account. I've always done a little shopping here or there, but writing each giant check is like receiving a hard punch to the gut. The money is all there and it was put away for the house in the first place, but I'm still having a hard time letting go. I'm starting to think that I had more fun saving the money than actually reaching the goal.

How do you feel when you spend from savings? Is it excitement or do you mourn the money like I do?

Mel August 26, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I just sent this post to my younger sister. Single gal who just bought a house and is constantly saying - "I don't have any money now!" Just remember, you gals are going to see a return on this investment! :)

dink2sink August 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I didn't mourn our down payment money at all. That felt awesome. But watching tons of cash flow out of our bank account for household stuff was tough. I do feel like we shopped smart, though. We maybe should've just spread it out more...

(and that was me above...wrong profile! please delete it for me, if you can, thanks!)

leanne August 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I can totally relate. When I bought my condo 2 1/2 years ago, I felt the same way. You will get over it and when you see that you are building back up your savings and that every month you are spending money on your investment when you write your mortgage payment out instead of throwing it away on rent, you will be so glad you purchased. :) So happy for you!

Bromeliad August 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I'm a mourner, big time.

:::Lyzz::: August 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Never wrote a bigger check in all my life and it was hard. At least there is something to show for though at the end of the day, which makes it feel a little better.

chacha September 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Mourn. It's both a sickness and a blessing.

Anonymous,  November 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Dear Author www.thriftylittleblog.com !
Completely I share your opinion. In it something is also idea excellent, agree with you.