(single) GIRLS RULE (at buying houses)

>> 8.21.2009

I have a slight addiction to HGTV's House Hunters/ Property Virgins/ My First Home (anyone with me?). Lately, I've noticed that a lot of the home buyers on the show are single women. It turns out that this isn't just an HGTV trend, but a nation-wide thing. Check out this article from SingleMindedWomen. I was surprised by all of the interesting facts listed- did you know that single women made up 21% of home buyers in 2003?

This info makes me even more excited to say that I'll be joining the Single Woman Home Buyer Club next week (yes, I wish that was actually a club)!!
PS Girls Rule!

Anyone out there a single woman home buyer? Bonus points if you're also a first-time buyer!

Jeannine August 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I'm single (though have been with the same boyfriend for four years) and bought my condo two or three years ago.

My old fashioned mother at first said that a single woman didn't need to own a house, that I should just rent. Then, she decided that I was buying as an attempt to "one up" my brothers, both of whom had gotten married and had their first children in the five years prior. As if buying my little condo in Virginia could top weddings and grandchildren! Ha!

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home August 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Congratulations! Go YOU! I am absolutely obsessed with all those same HGTV shows, even though my husbnd and I bought our condo together almost two years ago. We really like to see what the market is like in other areas, what you get for the money, etc, etc. It's also helpful to see what people are looking for when we go to sell. It's always a little shocking to realize how used we've gotten to Chicago prices! Yowza.

By the way, I've just started reading your blog, and I enjoy your tips on saving, as well as everything else. Keep up the great work! I've added you to my blogroll so I can stay tuned in.

Leigh in Tennessee August 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I love all the HGTV shows. I'm no longer a single woman homebuyer but I was when I bought my first house almost a decade ago. It was both exhilarating and scary to buy my first house but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Since then I've had to relocate and went back to renting. My fiance bought a house (with my full approval and input) last fall and we've both been enjoying it.

stacy di August 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

so so awesome! you should be incredibly proud of yourself!! girls rule...it's true :)

oh, and when my hubby is out of town, I watch those shows all the time!

Kerry September 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I totally agree, let's start the club!! I'm a single woman and a first-time home buyer as well. Today marks four months since I bought my new house (and yes, I'm still marking milestones like that!) :)
(loving your blog, by the way. I just stumbled onto it today!)

chacha September 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

2003? Hehe, I was one of them. I was a single and bought my first place that year.

Addicted to those shows as well. Husband begrudgingly deals with it :o)

Chris from St. Mary's October 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I am closing on my first condo today! I join you as SWFTHB (you figure it out :)

Victoria November 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I'm a single woman home owner... I am also 23. I inherited some money a few years ago and after much thought about banks and markets and liquidity I decided that a down payment on a pile of bricks was where I wanted my money. So I bought my beautiful 100 year old, newly renovated home last February. I had a lot of help from friends and my parents, but with my folks across the country it was mostly just me. You know how shopping for a dress can be sort of daunting on your own? Buying a house alone was terrifying. I ended up making a really great choice, but its scary knowing you could buy a money pit accidentally and its just going to be yourself digging you out.
There are a lot of great things about it the security, the purple walls and the DIY excitement. But there is also a lot of hard stuff. Juggling inside and out is exhausting. cleaning your own gutters, making your own repairs, hiring tree trimmers and trying to understand hanging things in drywall for instance.
It has been a lot of exhausting work and its still a steep learning curve, but there is nothing better than the pride I feel at being so independent and as I like to say, Hard as Diamonds.
ps the good news is that while I dealt with a lot of men in the process none of them had that "car dealer" feel about them. It seems the home buying industry respects women buyers in a way that car dealers are challenged in.