Cheapest Bathroom Reno Ever

>> 9.10.2009

Well... I sure hope so! I’ve mentioned before how awful the bathroom shower in the master was so I knew that I needed to put this project on the top of my to-do list! I haven’t received the final total for the project, but I’m hoping that I stay somewhere near my original budget of $2500. After a few weeks of work, we’re not quite to the after stage yet, but here are a few more of the before shots to keep you entertained :)

View from outside- it was like a little (pink) cave!

I'm taking this side on. I plan on changing the cabinet, light fixture, walls, and mirror. Some progress!

So far, I’ve learned a few ways to keep the costs down on bathroom renovations:

*Talk to friends. This project probably wouldn’t have even happened if I hadn’t spoken to a friend of a friend in Costco about wanting to maybe do the bathroom at some point… It turned out that although he isn’t currently doing construction, he has a very rich background and works with a lot of people in the business. What did that mean for me? Having someone I trusted work on the project and give me discounts along the way

*Hire people who are looking for side projects. I saved big here because a friend did the demo and the tiler did the job on the weekend. This is where my flexibility played a big part. I decided to put up with some noise and mess after work and on the weekends and in return, got deep discounts on regular rates.

*Be choosy about the materials. I decided to go with subway tiles for the tub surround, which will give the room a modern feel and keep my budget in check. For the tub and fixtures, I went for above standard grade so that they would give the room a “master” feel.

*Undershoot your budget. Projects like these always go over budget! By starting with a number that was comfortably under my budget, I had some room for change as estimates began to be off and expenses grew.

The project will (hopefully) wrap up in the next week. I can’t wait to share the final $ total and results!!

Anyone ever go through a bathroom renovation? How much did your project go over budget?

Heather September 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Man, I hope to get a crack at our YELLLLLLOW teeny, tiny master bathroom eventually. Can't wait to see the afters!

Laura September 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Great blog Kasey. Thanks for you comment on mine today. My bathroom is also a little pink cave, but it will likely stay that way for a while. Right now I'm kind of digging the retro pink and green tile!

alanna rose September 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Great ideas! We haven't had to do a big bathroom reno yet, but I see one on the horizon :)

Mel September 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Haven't done one yet but really, really want to. I can't wait to see your progress!

micah @ the yellow front door September 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Can't wait to see the "after" pictures!

change is a good thing September 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Great work! We are going to be doing the kitchen the same way you are doing your bathroom. We have a friend who is currently out of work, but he's done all the renovations on his house and let me tell you, they are beautiful. He's gotten his contractors license and is insured and bonded, but is still doing mainly handy-man type jobs. We're excited for him to do the work, we can help him out and we completely trust him in our home when we aren't there. We'll also be there helping him do a lot of the demo work to speed things up and to keep costs down. I'll try to get some pics posted too, if I ever figure out how to do that in a blog post. :) A challenge for this weekend for me! Can't wait to see the progress on your bathroom.

Kelee Katillac September 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Hi Kasey! Thanks for stopping by--great to have a new friend!

Looking forward to your after pics--there is NOTHING better than a fresh bathroom!

love, kelee

Miss Mustard Seed September 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Boy, you are really going to town on your house! I look forward to seeing the finished results.

Miss Mustard Seed September 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Dani September 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM

We are doing the kitchen right now. But the bathroom will be soon after! Gotta love our vanity with gold sparkles in it! Gah!

The Repair-Home Team October 13, 2009 at 5:02 PM

We think your bathroom renovation would make a great entry in our “Share Your Project” contest. You can win up to $2,700 just by uploading your project description and the before and after photos you’ve already taken. We hope you’ll consider submitting your project!

For more details check out: http://www.repair-home.com/project/