Gymless and loving it!

>> 9.30.2009

With a new mortgage payment coming up (tomorrow!) and about a million things I want to spend money on fixing, the monthly budget needed to be streamlined big time! Although I loved going to my boot camp classes and watching The Biggest Loser while I ran on the treadmill, having a $50/ month gym membership is just out of the question. At first, there was a giant hole where the fun in my fitness routine was, but I’ve come to find a few ways to fill the gap:

*Mix it up with the small screen. Now that I’m stuck with cable for the next year, I’m making the most of it by recording programs on FitTV. With the variety of shows that FitTV airs (yoga, boot camp, belly dancing, etc) and my cheapo stash of workout dvd’s, I’m never at a loss for some selection in my workouts.

That's right, I have Paula and Kathy... I never said I was cool.

*Get into training. I have some big races coming up in the next few months (including a marathon) that I’m hard at work for. Knowing that I have to keep up with a schedule so that I can complete the event really helps me to focus and do the workouts.

*Keep it social. One of the best additions to my workout routine has been my new running partner. We meet two or three times a week and talk to each other the entire time we run, making things fly by! In addition to those workouts, I do a group track workout on Tuesdays (on a free school track) and long runs with my boyfriend on Saturdays. With so many people to see, I look forward to the sweat.

*Multitask by adding purpose into fitness. My dog needs daily exercise so I take her out on runs and hikes whenever I can. In addition, I try to walk or bike to restaurants or shops in my neighborhood when possible. The feeling of accomplishment after doing these workouts keeps me coming back for more.

Anyone else give up a gym membership lately? Maybe you’ve been going without one for years… how do you keep things interesting?

Kate September 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I too have a Paula DVD, I think it's a different one though. If you're ever looking to add new DVDs, Jillian Michaels' DVDs are pretty good. I'm super impressed that you're going to run a marathon. That's awesome!

Danielle and Clint September 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I have a question for you...I like to run 5K's. I have a friend that runs with me. I have a hard time talking to her while we run. What is the solution to this? Does it just take time to build up? Straight up, now tell me...I am not cool either :-)

Heather September 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Just a second shout-out for the new Jillian Michaels DVDs! 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones and Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism are KILLER!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

@D&C- I suppose it might take a little bit of building up to be able to talk, but I think the pace that you're running is the biggest factor. I wouldn't be able to talk much at 8 min/mi, but I can easily talk at a 9-10 min/mi pace.
While you're running, check your form to make sure that your chest is upright (some people slump when they're tired) and you aren't looking straight down at the ground (gaze about ten feet out to watch for cracks in the pavement) so that the air can easily pass through to your lungs.

I'm glad there are at least two others on the Paula train with me :).

alanna rose September 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

My favorite part of the gym is being able to drop my toddler off at the day care while I work out; but even with that perk we're considering not renewing our membership for next year.

"Welcome to My Humble Ablog" September 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Oh, I came across the gym membership dilemma as soon as my hubby and I made our first mortgage payment. We decided to keep the membership after we haggled with the sports center. We paid a one-time free for a 3 year membership. With this payment, the monthly fee comes out to about $14.

BUT, I strongly suggest you buy a jump rope! I jump rope in the house when I just need a little pick-me-up. Man oh man, cardio workout galore! I believe it also helps with enhancing your endurance which can be beneficial for your marathon coming up.

BTW, great blog! Adding it to my reader. ^_^

-dolores

Mel September 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I have one month to go before being laid off and two months left to fulfill my membership at my "very nice but double the price" gym. No choice, must quit. It's going to be 30 below in Chicago soon (bye bye anything outdoors!) and I don't have enough motivation to work out in my living room by myself. :( Hoping the hubby can strike a two-for-one/family plan deal at his gym, but that means back to the "crappy" gym I went to before. Sigh...

Jamie Lee September 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I got a gym membership at Costco for 24 hour fitness. It was a 2 year package where you can go to almost any gym and ended up costing only $12.50 a month. If you already have a Costco membership then it is a great deal.

Meg October 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Woohoo to no gym! I have an elliptical machine at home that I love and weights and I hope to one day have an impressive at-home-gym.

Craig's List is a great place to find treadmills and other workout equipment that are just being given away or are being sold for practically nothing. I also occasionally find great workout videos on Youtube.

That Costco deal is an awesome tip!! This was a fun and creative post.

Thanks Kasey!

Strapless Living October 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM

moving really threw a wrench in my workout routine and it's been WAY too long since I worked out. our office has a small gym in it (yes, spoiled, i know) but I haven't worked up the nerve to run where my boss can see me sweat, I keep saying "i'll start next week!"

Jenny October 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Awesome post! I've stopped buying gym memberships because I don't go often enough to make it worth the cost. Instead, I too decided to do a (half) marathon! I'll take the $25/month or whatever the membership would cost and put it toward the entry fee, which is for charity anyway! I find it a lot easier to motivate myself when I'm doing it for a good cause, like the Susan G Komen 5k I'm doing this month. Donate to charity and get fit at the same time!