My House... Equity Building Opportunities

>> 9.01.2009

Alright, I'm being a little soft on my house with the post title. There are some down right disgusting parts that I'll need to work on! I suppose improving upon these "features" will help build a lot of equity in the house, but I mean... wow. Well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Yep, that's a laminate kitchen counter top... 20+ years old, off white, and rust-stained (a triple threat as far as ugly countertops go). Don't let the refrigerator fool you by using its ugly countertop friend as a cover... it's not white either, but a weird creamy color.

Is it a black hole or just an obnoxiously loud single paned sliding glass door from the 1980's? Hard to tell.

Lucky for me, the previous owner coated each of the bathroom walls with a layer of funky texture followed by a reminder of some of my favorite colors (favorite in kindergarten).

Want more bathroom? How about this fixture?

...or this master bedroom shower. I'm 5'4 and this is too small for me! Good luck trying to bend over to wash your feet in this baby.
I HATE popcorn ceilings. Luckily, I didn't buy a house with 1100 square feet of it. Oh, wait...

Oh, and before you leave my blog never to return because I obviously have zero idea of what thrifty home buying is about... check out yesterday's post (which includes some nice features of the home). I *think* I know where I'm going with this. Actually, I've already started on three major projects that will have a big impact and save me thousands of dollars !! Can you guess what I might have started on? (check out this post for the teaser shot)
So, does anyone else have some of the same *opportunities* that I have?

Laura@JourneyChic September 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Eyesores? Nah. It's all pure potential! I'm gussing that your project has to do with that lovely little shower of yours.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Laura- The shower is a great guess, it sure could use an update (and a good scrubbing)!!

alanna rose September 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I know what you're doing!!!
We also have popcorn ceilings, and they are not my favorite. But they're in great condition (at least that's what I keep telling myself) and we're too chicken to scrape all of them.
I can't wait to see everything that you do to your house :)

tiina September 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Oh, what fun kind of writing and topics. I'll check back for more updates of your project for sure!

Sarah September 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM

It looks like a ton of time and hard work but there seems to be so much potential (from the last post - I wouldn't know it from this post haha). I want myself a fixer-upper one day. Best of luck in your renovations!

Mel September 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Ahh, your bathroom has "Hollywood Lights", as I call them. We have them too...Ugh! Definitely on the must change out ASAP list. Good luck!

change is a good thing September 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM

We got the keys today to our own condo with lots of "opportunities." :) I'll be going in tomorrow evening and will hopefully get some great shots to post as well. I can't wait to see all the changes you make, your place is gonna be SO cute!

LizzieBeth September 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Hey girl. Wow, you've got some work ahead of you- but that's the best part! I love working on the before to the after! My fiance's worst nightmere is "...but I have a vision" haha.

Best of luck with the house! I'll be check back to see the progress.

Debbie September 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Can't wait to see how you fix up your house! I am soooo glad I don't have any popcorn ceilings in my new house!

J & L September 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I think all of your projects are definitely do-able. Your best bet on the popcorn ceilings might be to just remove them entirely and put up Drywall. I've seen shows where people try to sand down the popcorn (messy) and/or cover it up (which means your ceilings will get shorter - no fun!).

Lovin' the blog! Keep it up! You and I are in the same exact boat!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM

@J&L - Thanks for the advice, but I've actually tackled that awful popcorn. Check out how I did it: http://www.thriftylittleblog.com/2009/09/popcorn-is-gone.html
For smooth ceilings, the mess was worth it!

Anonymous,  December 30, 2009 at 11:53 AM