My LABOR Day Plans

>> 9.04.2009

If you caught up on my not so subtle hint in the title, my Labor Day will be full of labor! I've already shared a how-to on one of my giant money saving projects and as things are beginning to wrap up, it's time to share the next:

Yep, the awful/ cramped/ dirty/ dated master bathroom! *Fingers crossed* this will end up costing me thousands less than the average gut reno, but end with equally beautiful results! I'm not going to be able to DIY a big portion of the project (I'm definitely not a plumber!), but I've come up with ways to save hundreds on my end of the project. As always, I've tried to stretch my dollar as far as I could and I found some great tips for hiring out the project for less.
Why, you ask, would I spend a three day weekend dripping with sweat and exhausted? Well, let's see if these pictures will make the answer any clearer... The view from outside the door. Not exactly inviting!
Painted texture is not as easy to remove as popcorn... I'm not looking forward to this one!
The mirror, the lights, and the cabinet... yeesh!
Hey, it's the boyfriend! I thought he would be the perfect model for the crazy short shower head height :).

If you're anti popcorn and want that second post explaining how to prep/ paint the drywall ceilings, come back Monday! Also coming up: I'll explain more about my bathroom remodel, layout the numbers on my renovation savings so far, give a few random thrifty tips, and introduce myself (with a picture!)

Anyone else taking the "labor" in Labor Day literally? Planning a fun, thrifty getaway? Going to a Hawaiian resort (do tell- I'd love to live through you!)?

Kate September 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I laughed out loud at the last pic with your boyfriend. Good luck with all the work! I can't wait to read more!

LizzieBeth September 4, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Cannot wait to see the end result. Bathroom renos make me happy.

I have to actually work on Labor day.. does that count ;)

katiejennings128 September 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM

am really enjoying your updates! I have a handyman husband, so he does most things around our house, but I always want to learn so I don't have to ask him to do everything! btw, do you live in Austin? we are from there, living in the UAE right now but heading back for a visit soon! looking forward to chuy's!! just wondered, your post from before looked like a view from Zilker or something. :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM

@LizzieBeth- I hope it will be okay if I think of you while I'm doing work. It will be, "at least I'm not doing 'real' work..." :)

@katiejennings128- Yes! I am from Austin. The pic from before was taken from the new Long Center facing Auditorium Shores.
Also, I have to mention that I have a great boyfriend, but he doesn't live with me and this is my house so I'm taking on everything alone (minus his help for a couple hours here and there). I actually did the demolition of that cabinet alone-- it took me FOREVER, but it feels so good to know I did it!

Sarah @ In A Dream September 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Oooh I'm excited for Monday! I love seeing how people save! Have a fun literal labor day!

Amanda @ Bits and Pieces September 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I cannot wait to dive into your blog for redesign on a dime! Thanks for popping by to comment on our master bath remodel- I appreciate it! Have a fantastic (hard-working) weekend!

thereddeer September 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Doesn't sound like much fun - but it will be worth it. No Labor day for us here in Aussie - so just the usual weekend planned.

alanna rose September 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Since we canceled our vacation plans (we're saving money!) we are now painting the great room. Labor day was made for home improvement projects!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home September 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Kasey, this place is FULL of potential! I can't wait to see what you do every step of the way. My husband, Scott, and I talk about our "next" home all the time. Right now, we live in a newly renovated condo building in Chicago, but we imagine ourselves in 5 years living somewhere else - and tearing down a single family home and starting from scratch!

chacha September 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM

All about the "labor" - fireplace destruction, tiling, grouting, and hauling to the dump. Very productive weekend all around!

della stella September 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I have the *same* wierdo texture on my kitchen walls as you have on your bathroom walls. I wasn't brave enough to try to fix it... just slapped a coat of it to cover up the dark orange that it was when we moved in. I am loving your renovations!