Thrifty Mattress Shopping

>> 9.22.2009

After buying my new home and finally having the space to upgrade to a queen sized bed, I needed to go out and do some mattress shopping! I, of course, went out with the goal of finding the best deal possible… the problem was that I had very little experience in buying mattresses. The next thing I knew, I was Googling my heart out trying to find any insider information that would save me a buck or two (hundred).

It turns out, it’s really hard to depend on a deal when you go mattress shopping, but there are a few ways to score some big savings:

*Don’t feel pressured by a ‘sale.’ Mattress stores have ‘sales’ every week. If you’re set on a particular make or model, your best bet is to ask the employees what day the new prices come in (the store I went to changed ‘sales’ each Tuesday) and return each week/ month until you see your mattress drop in price. I’d say that this is a must-do, easy way to save a couple hundred dollars.

*Compare delivery charges store-to-store. While the mattress prices might be similar, choosing one store over another can save $20+ off of delivery fees. Also, make sure that hauling service is included if you intend on getting rid of your old mattress. The company that hauled mine said that they clean then donate the mattresses to battered women shelters.

*You might not need a box spring. Box springs add on an average of $100 to the price of a mattress set. Depending on your bed type, the base might have enough support so that the extra box is unnecessary (most platforms are this way). Also, if you have a newer mattress (last 5 or so years), the box spring was probably built in a solid method (verses with coils) and will work just fine.

*Ask about cash discounts. Most companies offer financing, but if you’re able to pay for the purchase in cash, they might be able to offer an additional 10% off of the price.

*Find a clearance center or sale section and work hard. By checking in frequently, you can save hundreds of dollars when a mattress model goes out of production. Many of the mattresses in this section are cheaper quality, but look for those top brands and with perseverance, you'll get your deal!

I can’t wait until the master bathroom is finished and I can rip the plastic off of this baby!

Anyone buy a mattress recently… were you surprised about how expensive they are?! Have any tips?

Mel September 22, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Bet you can't wait to sleep in that new bed! Hooray! My tip: Don't discount a department store like Macy's. We ended up finding a great quality, brand name mattress there, on sale, extra coupon, no interest for 12-months.

Meg September 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I second the Macy's comment. We waited until they hosted a big sale and got a great deal.

Congratulations on the new mattress!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home September 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Kasey, we "splurged" on a new queen size mattress after getting married last November, and couldn't be happier! How I ever slept on all those college days mattresses is totally beyond me.

We really took a risk and bought from Overstock.com, with NO return option. After reading what felt like a bazillion reviews, we took the leap! We've been sleeping sound ever since. Here's a peek at our find:

LizzieBeth September 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

when JEGs and I moved in together we thought about upgrading to a Queen, but after we saw the prices of mattress,we were shocked!

So we decided to wait until we bought a house. We'll just be on top of each other for the next 2 years ;)

Phoe September 23, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Thanks for all the tips! I'll be needing a new bed one of these days.

Kate September 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

So jealous! We've been wanting to upgrade our queen to a king for awhile and are still waiting to take the plunge. It's going to be great sleeping on a brand new comfy bed!

Amy @ Renovation Innovation September 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Great tips! We'll need to get a new mattress for our guest bedroom ever since the attic flooded and seeped through the ceiling into the bedroom and ruined the bed! (not to mention the ceiling, the floor and the kitchen below)