Bathroom Afters!

>> 10.23.2009

I wrote my first post on this bathroom almost two months ago so I'm excited to finally share some after pictures! So, let's get to it...

Before: A cramped space with the 'tiniest shower ever' was a little less than welcoming.

After: The room is much more welcoming and open-feeling thanks to the addition of a 18 inch deep Kohler soaking tub and white subway tiles that reach up to the ceiling.

I'm loving this counter-height shelf I had tiled in so that I could store my bath products.
Before: It was a joke for someone like my 6'4 boyfriend to try to take a shower in the cramped space.
After: It's a space fit for a king (or basketball player)
Before: The left side of the room was an embarrassing mess straight out of the 1980's.

After: Updates to the walls, fixtures, and vanity create a modern French hotel vibe.

It went over-budget and over the timeline, but now it’s just over! While I’d love to take a bow and embrace the thrill of victory, I think I’ll just go take a bubble bath instead ;).

Oh, but come back and see me next week- I'll have a full breakdown of all the costs associated with the project (hey, I still came in under $3,500) as well as more on how I pulled some of the details together. Plus, I'll let you know what's next on my list (hint: you helped me to decide).
So, what do you think? …by "what do you think?" I really mean, “say really nice things to me after I’ve put so much into this project.”

Heather October 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM

FANTASTIC!!!

Your bathroom (BEFORE) looks very much like our 'master' bathroom! I am excited to see your breakdown and plan on stealing many ideas and thrifty tips when we finally save up to re-do our's!!

Enjoy your fab new space!!

The Brick Cottage October 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM

It looks great and I can imagine that the shower/bath is now a retreat (seriously, who has a shower head installed that low?!). I especially love the wall treatment. Great job!

Kate October 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM

It looks great! I love the ledge idea - it's so simple and practical it makes you wonder why every shower/tub doesn't have that! I also really like your new light and that glass shelf over the sink. Two big thumbs up from me!

Meg October 23, 2009 at 11:22 AM

WOW. That is seriously impressive. Your bathroom looks so sleek and I love the paint job. So subtle yet so stylish and striking. BIG round of applause!

Jenny October 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM

That's gorgeous!! You've got to tell us how you did the paint treatment on the walls - it looks so polished and sleek, like it would be in a posh hotel or spa! Beautiful!

Maggie@Okay, now what? October 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It looks fantastic. A huge improvement!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Omg, I love it! Talk about a great face-lift! I really like the petite glass shelve about the sink; very beneficial. And I can't wait to hear how you managed to do everything with the very low,low cost of under $3500.

BTW, I have the same tiny shower stall, which I call "the cave." I'm a tall gal and I too faced the low shower-head conundrum. A nice costco product relieved my constant pliƩing but I still look forward to my bathroom remodel which will be very soon.

Great job, once again!

Flavia @ Estilo Home October 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM

It looks wondeful! I love what you did with the walls and look forward to hearing all about it. Great job!

Graham at Chadwell Chronicles October 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Excellent job. I especially appreciate the shower head being 6' 4" myself.

We are talking with contractors now and waiting for our tax credit to get started on our bathroom. :)

WhimsAndInconsistencies October 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM

It looks wonderful! Congrats on getting it finished! I'm especially fond of the way the walls are painted. Very classy!

thisgirlandthatguy October 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

You did an amazing job. I've really enjoyed watching the progress. Congrats!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Holy cow, that wall treatment is sweet! I think it's wonderful that you reused what you could and only demoed what you needed to, but it all looks brand new regardless. Great job, girl!

Mel October 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Lovely and modern now! I love the updated vanity/mirror/light. Great inspiration!

Katie October 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM

this looks great, i really like your material/finish choices. i'm excited to see the budget breakdown, you have given me hope for our bathroom!!

LizzieBeth October 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Kasey that is stunning. I love love LOVE the color choices and I am oozing with jealousy over this beautiful bathroom.

The subway tiles are so classic. And the pop of red with the shower curtian.

OOoo! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the house now!!!

chacha October 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM

It's horrible. Ha! Kidding, of course. It's great - I like the upper half of the walls - is that a stencil or wall paper? It looks like it has a shininess. Seriously, it looks great. Did you knock out a wall or something to get the extra space to put in the tub? Maybe you went over that already - I should go back and read the other related posts...

erinlovesdesign October 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM

This is so beautiful! I love it, and it's so dramatically different from the before.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments! I'm still trying to train my boyfriend to be so nice- his lack of excitement yesterday had me going a little Renozilla. Seriously, you guys have made my day!

@Chacha- I promise, I'll do an entire post about how to do the wall treatment next week! Basically, I created the top portion by painting a semi-gloss as a base then painting over it with a DIY stencil.
Yes, I did have to knock down a wall. I ended up taking about 9 sq feet out of the bedroom closet.

micah @ the yellow front door October 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM

It is gorgeous. I bet you are so relieved that it's done!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic October 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I LOVE the light fixture over the sink and the walls. Fantastic!!! I also love your little shelf...I don't have one and wish I did!

Congrats on getting it done!

Katie October 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM

It's gorgeous!!! I l.o.v.e. the walls!! Enjoy your new tub! :)

Amanda Wright October 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Oh my gosh! Love the bathroom! Now I'm motivated to start fixing up the small creepy bathroom in our basement. ; )

Tracie@gurtler+home October 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM

That looks beautiful! I love what you did with the walls.

Kim at Yellow Brick Home October 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I'm absolutely loving the walls against your dark wood of your sink cabinet. Great job, I can't wait to see the breakdown!

Shane and Casey October 24, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I can totally relate to your boyfriend about low shower heads. They are the worst thing. Ever. Your bathroom looks great, too! A very nice difference. The glass shelf is probably my favorite.

SeeJaneGetRich.com October 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Awesome! I am so impressed by the before and after pictures.

Jessica from We Took The Bait October 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM

K- It's beautiful! You did an amazing job.

I wish you lived closer, I'd hire you to do wonderful things to our ranchalow, starting with our bathroom. I think the bathroom on Three's Company looked more modern than ours does.

Great work!

Anonymous,  October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Wow! What did you do to make the vanity look so updated?

Jamie Lee {Starting Out Savvy} October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Kasey, this is amazing! It looks so luxurious! You did a great job!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM

@Anonymous- Thanks, I'm glad you like the vanity! I was lucky that the cultured marble top came in a neutral off-white color so it was easy to pair that with a solid glossy black paint. You'll also notice that I used new chrome drawer pulls instead of knobs (I think that knobs look a little dated).
Replacing the 80's frameless mirror and light fixture with more modern pieces probably had an effect on how you perceive the vanity as well.

stacy di October 26, 2009 at 2:00 PM

what a HUGE difference. I love the colors and accessories...and especially the before/after showerhead photos...so funny!

katiejennings128 October 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM

it's absolutely beautiful! congrats!

Angela October 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Your bathroom makeover is gorgeous. I love all your ideas, especially the faux-wallpaper. Such a beautiful result!

Dayka October 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for your comments on my kitchen post! This bathroom looks great, as well! I love the treatment on your walls-is that paint, or wallpaper? I know you must be ELATED for the new bathtub, too. Subway tile always looks so classic! Great choice. I would think the black in the kitchen would be okay, as long as you had a light countertop, but myabe white cabinets with a black granite would be better? Do you have any photos of how it currently looks? If so, I'd love to see them. Thanks for stopping by!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

@Dayka- It's faux. Fake it till you make it, right?
Here's a post with some current kitchen photos.

Jenny November 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Love the bathroom and especially for such an awesome price. I love the inexpensive white subway tile and have my eye on it when we get around to redoing our master bath. What color did you do the grout because I also love it...gray?

Also love the cabinet and "wallpaper". You can tell you put tons of work into it and it was so worth it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and helping me with the color dilemma! Can't wait to see more projects!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Jenny- Yes, the grout is gray. There was also a silver option, but I wanted to go with a dark color so that: 1. you could see the pattern of the tile more clearly 2. I wouldn't have to deal with mildew stains in the future.

Amanda November 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Oh my gosh it looks great! I posted somewhere on your blog before about how we used the same subway tiles- here's how I did mine: http://hiphousegirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/img_7508.jpg I think my grout lines were thicker than yours- 1/8" I believe. I love your grayish tan paint- that's more like what I was going for when I picked "Obsidian Glass", which is a lot closer to black. Oh well, live and learn. I'll ping you when my bathroom is finished!

onegrandhome.wordpress.com November 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I know I am a million years late but let me sing your praises, Kasey, in detail.

First of all, your work ethic and the quality of your finishes are amazing. The space looks professionally done.

Your room is gorgeous. The palette is cool, calm and relaxing, something that is often forgotten in over-decorated bathroom spaces.

That tile ledge is a little bit of genius; so functional and a nice visual accent.

I love the subway tile; classic, inexpensive, and completely timeless.

The stencil is so much more practical (and personal!) than even moisture-resistant wallpaper.

The grout color is as stylish as it is practical.

Coming in under budget is an accomplishment all its own and really shows that it's possible to execute without being excessively spendy.

The overall effect really is boutique hotel in the best way.

Congratulations!!!

Vic December 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Love the faux wallpaper paint idea... what a great, simple, and inexpensive trick... that would be far easier to switch up down the line if you ever chose to!

Hattie December 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Lovely! You did a great job on making over such a tiny space!

Rocio @ Casa Haus January 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Wow! Ever since my bathroom remodel, I LOVE looking at great bathroom transformations, and yours is AMAZING! How did you do the effect on the wall? I notice some figures...

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM

@Rocio~ Thanks! I actually wrote a tutorial about that faux wallpaper treatment here.

SHM March 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

where did you get your wallpaper? i love it!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

@SHM~ Thanks, it's actually a faux wallpaper treatment I did with stencils check it out here: http://www.thriftylittleblog.com/2009/10/creating-faux-wallpaper-in-bathroom.html

Mary March 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I love what you did with your bathroom!!! I am in currently in the process of re-doing mine and sometimes I wonder if it will EVER get done!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am thoroughly enjoying yours!

Carrie @ Two Poms and a House March 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

great makeover! I'm sure you are relieved to be finished! I love the yellow flowers for an accent :)