Bathroom Budget Breakdown

>> 10.28.2009

When I revealed the after pictures of my bathroom last week, I promised that I would share the budget breakdown of how I did the entire thing for under $3,500. To make it easier for those of you who aren't up for tearing down walls and moving plumbing, I’m going to break down the redo into the facelift and renovation portions:

Vanity Area:
-Repaint vanity with glossy black: $8.50 for quart of paint; $5 spray primer (Home Depot)
-New vanity hardware: $3/each x 3= $9 (Restoration Hardware Outlet)
-Glass shelf: $25 (Target)
-Black mirror: $25 (Marshall’s)
-Light Fixture: $25 (Restoration Hardware Outlet)
-Soap dish: $3 (Target)
-Towel ring: $5 (Target)
-Hand towel: $3 (Marshall’s)
-Vase: $1 (thrift store)
-Outlet Covers: free (came with house)
-Painting tools: free (used for home painting project)
Facelift: $109.50
Renovation: $0
(before... obviously)

Walls:
-Paint for base and stenciled portion: free (left over from painting other rooms)
-Semi-gloss paint for upper base: $9 (Home Depot)
-Painting tools: free (used for home painting project)
-Stencil for creating faux wallpaper treatment : $2 (JoAnn Fabrics)
-Artwork: $4 (garage sale)
-Coat hook for towel: $3.50 (Target)
-Towel: $6 (Marshall’s)
-Labor to remove old cabinet and mirror: free (diy)
-Wall resurfacing supplies: $48 (HD/ Lowe’s/ local store)
-Wall resurfacing labor: free (diy)
Facelift: $24.50
Renovation: $48

Tub Area:
-Shower fixtures: $150 (Home Depot)
-Shower curtain: free (repurposed IKEA window treatments left in house)
-Trash removal: $90 (Craigslist)
-Tile supplies: $175
-Contractor’s fees associated with turning tiny shower area into space for deep soaking tub: $2,612 (see itemized list for more budget details... I paid in two parts- $2,000 and $612. A $110 fixture credit was given after that invoice.)
Facelift: $150
Renovation: $2,877

Total Facelift Costs: $284
Total Renovation Costs: $2,925

Grand Total: $3,209

Not so bad, right? I had an original budget of $2-3,000 so I’m happy with the final total. It definitely wouldn’t have been possible if I didn’t go diy with the drywall finishing and wall retexturing- that project was estimated at $500.

Do you have any bathroom renovations in your future? Have you recently completed a project? Comment with the link- I’d love to see what you’ve done!

Jenny October 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I love the budget breakdown! I think the most impressive part is that you spent less than $150 on everything but the shower. It made a huge difference, and is definitely something that would be easy to tackle (as long as you don't have to fight drywall!). I'd love to do this, but alas.. renting stinks sometimes!

micah @ the yellow front door October 28, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I am so jealous you have a RH Outlet!!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Thank you for the itemized breakdown. Again, you did such an amazing job with the room.

I have two bathrooms with almost all original components (the floors and fixtures are the only modern improvement; granted cheap tile was used). I have the little cave shower in one bathroom as you did. The other room has a tub but no shower head!! I mean, what were they thinking?!

I am planning to get estimates from contractors very soon for an entire renovation. How many estimates did you obtain before finally contracting a company? Were any referred to you? I'd really appreciate any tips or advice you can give me. Since we will be renovating both bathrooms at the same time (moving in with the in-laws while it takes place) I want to make sure I get more bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!

Kate October 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I love how you broke this budget down. I want to eventually makeover our bathrooms, but they won't need any serious renovations - I've been wondering how much I can expect to spend on tiling and misc. items. Looks like you got some killer deals too - $4 for art! That's a steal!

I also have a RH Outlet near me ... I like to torture myself by looking at all the furniture I still can't afford :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM

@Micah- I know! I also have a Crate and Barrel Outlet and PB Outlet- I have to pinch myself each time I get to go.

@Dolores- I’m happy to help out! Check out this post for a few money saving tips I learned when starting the renovation.

Basically, I lucked out with the contractor though- he is a friend with years of experience and I could trust him to keep my best interest in mind. The subcontractors he hired might not have been at the very best prices (I’ve learned that the tile could have been a bit cheaper), but they were all timely and did great work.

The one big tip that I can give you is to buy all of the materials yourself- tile, grout, 2x4’s, fixtures, paint, etc (rent a truck from Home Depot if you need to). By doing this you’ll save the 15% or so that the contractor will charge you in management costs (he might claim he can get a discount, but check out the numbers before you go with it). Plus, the subcontractors will probably overestimate for everything and charge you for it.

Also, DON’T PAY UPFRONT IN FULL! Sorry to scream, but that’s the best way to protect yourself from a runaway contractor. Don’t go with anyone who won’t sign a contract and itemize the expenses for you.

thisgirlandthatguy October 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I love the breakdown! Thanks so much for the detail.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses October 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I like your color combination, Kasey! Very nice.

Here are a few of the bathrooms I've done:

Kelly

Mrs. Chic October 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I love what you've done with your bathroom! The glass floating shelf below your mirror looks amazing. I also swooning over your subway tile in the bath tub! Wow

Great job!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

@Kelly- I'm off to check them out right now!

@Mrs. Chic- Thanks, people keep saying that! Just goes to show how easy it is to create a modern look with a $25 item straight off of the shelf at Target.

The funny thing is that I almost didn't use a shelf at all. When I ended up hanging the mirror higher than I was expecting to (thanks to a tall boyfriend), I thought I'd add a shelf to balance the space below.

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Thanks for all your advice Kasey. I will definitely insist on purchasing all the materials myself; such a great inside tip. ^_^

And the scream is always a must when it comes to payments. I've also been told to always pay with Checks to make sure there is a paper trial and proof of payment; cash can get a little messy.

Liz November 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I love the bathroom! i just re-did my bathroom a few months ago, and the layout looks very similar!

I didn't keep track of the money spent exactly, but it was cheap! DIY tile, new paint, new hardware and fresh paint on the vanity.

I'm still looking for cute handles for the vanity and art above the toilet...

Bathroom Furniture March 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Did I say earlier I loved your post? If not, I liked your post....Thank you.

Nicole
London UK

Gwelf,  July 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Followed you over from a comment a The Brick House. Could you share the model and maker of your soaker tub?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog July 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM

@Gwelf~ Sure, it's ARCHER by Kohler. I've seen it around so I'm sure it's pretty easy to find on Google.

Ashley August 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I love your budget breakdown! I have a small bathroom with a pre-made stand up shower stall that I want transformed into a tile stall. Your budget breakdown helped get the jitters out of me as I was thinking that would cost me about $8,000. But my bathroom is like 36 square feet. So, $3,000 isn't so bad! :)