Bathroom Half-ters

>> 10.20.2009

EDIT: I finally finished! Read through this post, then come by and see the afters!

I was reeeeally hoping to have the full afters of my bathroom ready to show today for the Procrastinator’s Party at the Inspired Room.

Back when I joined the party , I came up with the following goals:

-finish out drywall; float walls
-paint vanity cabinet
-add hardware
-hang new mirror
-install new light fixture

Well, I didn’t get to all of them, but I’m happy with the progress that I did make (and the $300 I saved by going the DIY route with the drywall floating ):

A large dark cabinet and dated fixtures took over the small space.
In addition, the walls had a dust collecting frosting-like texture.

I scraped off the texture.

Then I took down the cabinet during my crowbar phase.
I painted the walls a modern grey combo (don't worry, I have plans for that line)...

...and freshened up the old vanity with glossy black paint and new hardware.

What’s left? I need to:
*Finish the paint- I have a special faux wallpaper-stenciling project in the works.
*Hang light fixture and mirror- I called in reinforcements for this one (the boyfriend)
*Add accessories such as art, towel bars, and soap dishes.

Not too bad of a list, right? Please hang in there with me; I hope to have the big reveal for you later this week! For now, you can probably check out some fully-completed projects over at the Procrastinator's Party.

maitlandmommy AKA Sheri October 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM

love what you've done so far. So clean and crisp now. I have to ask how much of a pain it was to take that texture off? That's quite an accomplishment in it's own right. I can't wait to see more.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Sheri- Taking off the texture wasn't all that bad. I did my popcorn ceilings in September http://www.thriftylittleblog.com/2009/09/no-more-popcorn-ceilings.html and that was probably a great warm-up for it.

Unlike with the ceilings, the texture on the walls didn't slip off the drywall surface and I had to scrape below to where the papery part of the drywall was. That led to issues with air pockets forming during the floating process because of the uneven paper layers, but after some extra scraping everything worked out.

chacha October 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I'm digging the grey color - I think I'm going to do a grey for my downstairs bathroom, if I ever get around to fixing it up.

The walls look nice a smooth! Looks like you did a good job with floating (it's really pretty easy if you're detail-oriented, which I suspect you are. The downside is just the mess of dust and such).

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 20, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Ooh la la! Very nice so far, looks like a brand new room already.

Kate October 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

What color gray is that? I've been keeping an eye out for grays and that looks like a good one. Love the way the vanity turned out. At first I thought it was brand new! When you said you had painted the one you already had I scrolled up to the before photos because I didn't believe it!

micah @ the yellow front door October 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Looking good! Can't wait to see the after pictures!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Kate- The bottom is Dolphin Fin by Behr. The top part is Irish Mist by Behr.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating October 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Wow, you're making tremendous progress! There's absolutely NOTHING fun (to me) about installing and finished out drywall. I have a couple of places in my condo that need some new drywall, and I'm putting it off.

I look forward to seeing it finished! Starting Monday on my blog, I'm having Progress Report Mondays, where people like us can show off our progress on larger projects like this, even though they're not finished. It'll just be a way to show off the progress we've made and cheer each other on. Hope you'll stop by!

Danielle and Clint October 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Lookin good Kasey! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the finished product!

cherry October 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

It already looks like a new room great job can't wait to see it finished. hugs, Cherry

Sjn October 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I'll hang in with you and you hang in there with me... for the picture perfect finished product! Deal!
I'm priming the "down to the wallboard paper" spots and spackling today. I'll keep you posted!

Amber October 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Wow that is looking amazing already- what a difference! Great work, I'm sure the finished job will be beautiful!
~Amber

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions October 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I think you're coming along nicely, especially considering the size of this project. It's a lot for one person to do. Looks good so far!

Meg October 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I love the glossy black paint, new hardware, and tone on tone grey walls. I can't wait to see the wallpaper stenciling idea!

Jenny October 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM

That's an amazing transformation! It makes me wish my landlord would let us update our dated bathroom cabinets - I'd get right on it!

I can't wait to see the reveal!

Laura@JourneyChic October 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM

You've done such a great job so far! The vanity looks so nice after the fresh coat of paint and new hardware.

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 20, 2009 at 5:29 PM

The vanity looks as good as new! You've made so much progress. Can't wait until the grand reveal!

beth October 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Your bathroom is looking really great!! Keep up the good work! :)

nannykim October 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM

wOW--IT IS LOOKING GOOD ALREADY!! Much improved without the dark cabinets. When you said foux (sp?) wall paper I thought of this dining room I once saw. They made it look like it had a lace type wallpaper, but it was just a complicated stencil.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards October 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Wow! That looks like lots of work. Great job!

SeeJaneGetRich.com October 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Wow, this looks really good. I can't imagine the amount of work this took.

onegrandhome October 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM

You've done an awesome job thus far. So inspiring!

"m" October 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM

It's coming along great! You probably could've finished if that mud floating wouldn't have been a pain in the patootie. Look forward to seeing the end result. Keep up the good work!

Sara October 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM

That's amazing progress! I, too, have frosting-looking textured walls in our half bath and am looking to get rid of it, so you've just inspired me! :-)

Mary Ellen (megardengal) October 20, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Wow what a lot of work you have done!! Cant wait to see it all finished!

Marcy Tate October 21, 2009 at 2:38 AM

I really like the gray color you used- it looks great with the black paint on the vanity. Looking forward to the reveal- keep up the good work!!

Pearl Maple October 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM

That looks like a really big project and it is coming together beautifully, good luck with making it just perfect for you.

Astrid October 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM

WOW! Looks awesome!!! I bet it's going to be gorgeous when it's all finished!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room October 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Dramatic difference!!! I love it! I know it will turn out amazing.

Great job!