Can I make IKEA any cheaper?

>> 10.05.2009

Oh, yes I can… by buying it on Craigslist. Unfortunately, I learned that the price isn’t the only thing that drops, so does the quality (and we all know, it isn’t so good to begin with)…

Because I took away precious closet space while adding a tub in my bathroom , I decided that I just had to create additional closet space in my bedroom. Having always drooled over the options in customization that the IKEA PAX wardrobes offer, I knew that I wanted to go with them for the 11-foot wall of my bedroom. With cabinets, doors, accessories, tax, and delivery, I was looking at spending about $2,000.
Motivated by saving cash, I went ahead and purchased a used system in the exact size I was looking for at $500. I thought I had a great deal until I realized that the cheapo IKEA laminate wood had warped in some places and the units no longer fit together perfectly. After a brief renozilla moment, I pressed ahead to try to fix the problem (oh, and obviously the awesome boyfriend was a big help!).

You can see the big crack between the cabinets :(

A little clamp action straightened things right up!

5/16 two-inch bolt; nut; washers

He drilled a four holes (two at top; two at bottom) between each unit so that the clamped boards with stay secure.

Finally, L-brackets drilled at the tops keep the system secured to the walls.
I must say, that it was a little work, but I’m happy with how structurally sound the base turned out. Now, on to the doors…

Anyone out there have experience with the PAX systems? Were you ever brave enough to buy used IKEA furniture?

Danielle and Clint October 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Holy cow thats a great deal! What a pain you had to deal with though. I love Ikea, but their furniture I am not too found of. Cant wait to see it all put together!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home October 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I've never purchased used IKEA items, but I've definitely sold some of mine! I learned really fast that not everyone takes care of their household items like I do. But then again, I have a sickness over keeping things clean, orderly, and spic and span. Ah, well.

Great deal on your closet, looks like it's all coming together!

Jenny October 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Yes! I recently purchased IKEA TULLSTA chairs from Craigslist at half price ($50/ea instead of $100 in store). I took a big risk because I wanted them in the cream color, which would show any dirt/stains. I lucked out though - I got two that only have a couple small smudges, that right now I cover with a small throw blanket. In the future, if it bugs me too much, I can try and clean it more, or buy the slipcovers.

I have had excellent luck with Craigslist in furnishing our apartment. As long as you can check out the furniture before you hand over the cash, you'll be good. I've got a couple great World Market bookcases from Craigslist too for a combined total of about $30. Not to mention a high quality, nearly brand new couch for $150 including delivery, and a brand new mattress, box spring, and frame for $400 including delivery.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic October 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I've never bought Ikea second hand, but it looks like a great idea in light of the money you saved!

I just bought some vintage lamps on there for $15 (for a pair). They were in terrible shape, but I cleaned them up and they're looking pretty good now!

I always had success selling on Craigslist, but never buying. Maybe my luck is turning around!

High-Heeled Foot in the door October 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Oh they look great! I always search for IKEA items on craigslist first!

I'm certain you are going to love the closets. I had something similar in my old apt from LOWES and I loved it!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous,  October 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Wow...I hate those types of renovations..we've had many!! Way to make it work, isn't that what Diy's all about? Thanks for stopping by my blog on Frugalicious Friday...feel free to join in the fun this Friday!! Oh and nice to meet you, I've followed ya back!

LizzieBeth October 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I bought a buffet from Craigslist and did a complete overhaul of it and LOVED the way it came out. You can check out the before and after here

Marcy Tate October 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM

I have also sold some Ikea stuff (table and an end table) but have never bought any used Ikea.

Alison (a girl in her element) October 7, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I *just* finally went to Ikea for the first time last weekend. (We don't have one here in Vegas.) I didn't buy any furniture, but I was super tempted by some of their bookcases!