Excuse Me While I Brag

>> 10.08.2009

I try to stick to writing about thrifty tips, renovation stories, and first-time home buying experiences as much as I can (ok, so I’ve bragged before here and here) but after scoring a great deal on a dining table off of Craigslist I just haaave to boast about it a little!

It all started one Friday night as I was looking though the furniture ads on Craigslist (yeah, that’s the type of thing I do on a Friday night)… One of the ads read “Pottery Barn dining table $200.” A little excitement started to boil up inside, but I held it down knowing that on Craigslist people tend to exaggerate- you’ll often find “Pottery Barn” means “Pottery Barn-like,” Bought a year ago means four, and gently used means “my kids only spit up on it every other day.”

From looking at the picture and the price ($200 for a six person table), I knew it was at least worth checking out. I immediately contacted the woman and was over the next morning. In person, the set was in even better shape than I thought it would be in- no scratches or wobbles! The seats will have to be recovered, but that was one of the things that the seller had already mentioned. Check it out:

Yes, they’ll need to be recovered, but I’d like to see that as an opportunity for some personalization :).

They remind me of the Oval Back Dining Chairs from West Elm (currently sold for $159 each).

My chairs had the original price tags on the bottom! Yes, $169 each!

The beautiful top of my Kirkwood table (sans leafs)- you know, the one that PB sells for $599?

Hmm... I might want to darken mine like the one PB sells currently.

Have a big shopping steal that you’d like to brag about? Comment in your link if you have a post about it!

Also, since I get to recover the seats and paint or stain the wood to match, have any suggestions for me?

Jenny October 8, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Awesome find! I love Pottery Barn stuff - and to actually find high quality PB stuff on Craigslist is a rarity, I agree. Congrats on the bargain - I can't wait to see how you rehab it! I love dark wood too, so I'm sure if you refinish the chairs and table it will look like a million bucks!

Kate October 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Great find! Refinishing furniture is not difficult - I've done a couple pieces already (and have more in the works) and the worst part is sanding. I actually get a kick out of staining so I think that's fun. :) Painting is easier than staining though so if you're leaning towards black that's always an easy option!

Recovering the seats should be super easy too - you just need a staple gun. I think your new table and chairs are going to look fabulous when you're done. Good Luck!

Heather October 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

WOW!! That is a fabulous deal!!! I think a darker stain would look super chic and I can't wait to see how you decide to recover the seat!

This is my best find.. but it has NOTHING on yours! :)

Danielle and Clint October 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

No freakin way!!! What a deal!!

Katja October 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Great deals are brag-worthy! It looks really nice but I think that I too would stain the table, would look even better that way:)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Wowee is that a great deal! I found a lady selling two *brand new* large Pottery Barn shelves in the white finish for $60 on Craigslist. They retail at $60 a piece, so I just paid her the money and ran before she changed her mind on the half price deal! haha

Flavia @ Estilo Home October 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM

What a great deal! I love the chairs. They are even better than the West Elm ones as they have an upholstered seat, which like you said, will be fun to customize!

"Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Wow, $200 sounds too good to be true! Great buy. I can't wait to see the transformation.

I've got a little bragging of my own. ^_^ My husband and I found an original Tanker Desk on Craiglist for $60. After a little sanding and spray paint, the desk looks oh so Mad Men. I wrote a blog post about it here: Welcome to my humble Ablog: Refinished Tanker Desk

thereddeer October 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM

What a steal! I haven't had any great purchases like that - I ain't too thrifty!

Jamie Lee October 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM

What a great find! I love finding deals. I'm excited to see what you do with these. I'm sure they'll look great. My best recent deal was the mirror that I posted about last night. $300 mirror at TJ MAXX for $60! You have to love those discount stores. Thanks for stopping by earlier!

LizzieBeth October 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM

wait.. there is a burning deep in my chest.

wait.. wait..