I’m Pulling a QVC

>> 10.14.2009

Like QVC, I’m thinking about the holidays waaaay too early… and no, I’m not talking about the holiday that happens to be later this month (remember how I started planning for that in September?). Yep, the ones with the turkey and the twinkle lights. Come on people, debt-free holidays don’t just plan themselves!

Debt-free holiday action plan:
*Compare rates across airlines. Check

*Book flights at least 30 days in advance. Check

*Create gift list with budget. Check

*Put aside money to fund gift budget. Semi-check. I’ve spread the costs out over the next few months by adding them into my budget sheet.

*Shop for gifts. I’ve started brainstorming ideas for some, but I don’t want to jump the gun on this and get things people can’t return.

*Bake cookies, hang decorations, and send cards. I’m not that crazy.

And no, thrifty isn’t spending $41 on a “fiber optic revolving angel” and I’m not replacing my doorbell with a big red button.

Sorry, I just love making timelines and goal lists! I do hope you’ve started thinking about flights already- they really only go up in price from here. Remember, the cheapest dates for airfare are on the actual holidays. Is anyone else out there a planning maniac like myself?

onegrandhome October 14, 2009 at 10:52 AM

You are so organized--I love this.

My holiday plans are not complicated this year so I'm not involved in a ton of planning. I usually do up rather involved menus at Thanksgiving and Xmas but this year, we made our plans early and simply:

Thanksgiving dinner will probably be at the NYC Austrian restaurant Blau Gans. Last year was my first time having holiday dinner at restaurants and it was so much more relaxing than cooking for hours.

Christmas dinner will be at Jean Georges, if budget allows. We'll make a decision around Thanksgiving time. If we dine there, those will be our Christmas presents to each other.

For New Year's Eve, we're going to the Metropolitan Opera's performance of Carmen and then somewhere in the city for drinks at midnight.

I still need to:
- Decide on a couple of Xmas gifts
- Design holiday cards

High-Heeled Foot in the door October 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Great tips! Thanks for them!

I smiled when I read QVC on the title. I normally don't watch QVC, but on saturday morning it was the only thing that caught my attention. Wolfgang Puck was selling all of his cookware items and I was totally trying to convince my hubby that I needed a bread maker!

Don't worry I resisted temptation and didn't buy anything, but I am still thinking about it!

Meg October 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Thank you for reminding me I need a good game plan. I love giving gifts more than actually receiving them, and I always care a lot about what I give. This year's budget will definitely be smaller, so I need to plan ahead.

Maybe you could write a future blog about clever gifts that are really fun but cost effective? I like your spending savvy perspective.

Heather October 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I agree with Meg! I am always looking for thrifty gift ideas!

Last year I stocked up on after-Christmas 75%-90% off sales and bought quite a few little gifty things like coffee mugs, note pads, etc for those last-minute enexpected gifts (i.e. office secret santa). I also bought quite a few decoractive pieces at those sales. I can't wait to decorate this year, especially since I immediately packed everything and can barely remember what I bought!!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

@onegrandhome- We do the restaurant route for Christmas too, but it's usually my parent's treat. It makes for a stress-free day for all!

@High-Heeled Foot in the Door- I always find myself flipping through and becoming sucked in by their sales pitches too :). Luckily, I haven't bought anything yet.

@Meg- I'm on it... but you might have to wait until after Halloween :) Here's a post I wrote up about general gift giving: http://www.thriftylittleblog.com/2009/08/thrifty-little-tip-time-expensive.html

Hampers October 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

You seems to be a well organized person and your tips are really wonderful. enjoyed your blog very much.

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" October 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I'm a maniac when it comes to planning. I tend to chart my plans on excel and create a pretty elaborate plan of action. Ohh, I'm getting goosebumps. ^_^

Jamie Lee {Starting Out Savvy} October 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I'm a crazy planner too but I make mental lists. I think you have to be once you move away from your family or start splitting holidays between your family and your significant other's family. Plus, I'm a music designer so I've been listening to Christmas music for the past few months. It's impossible not to start thinking about gifts and budgeting for the holidays when you have my job.

Jenny October 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

My plans weren't really as explicit as yours, but I've definitely been following one. We booked our flights a few weeks ago, and arranged for someone to pick us up from the airport. I'm doing hand-made gifts for Christmas to keep costs down, so all I'll have to do is buy the necessary ingredients/parts and assemble it once it gets closer. But I am doing research/keeping an eye out for deals to make sure I get the best bargains on those costs! And no, no cards - I have waaaaay too big a family! But you can bet I'll be baking cookies!

Anyway, I love your idea of having a written action plan - I should do that for more things in life!

pk October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I really can't think about the holidays yet, but I know I probably should be. :-) Great advice...
pk @ Room Remix

Sharon October 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Absolutly. I spread my buying out so it doesn't all land in December. In fact I set Nov 30 as the last day to buy. I got out a box on the weekend and pulled all the stuff I have bought so far so it is in one place and I can see what else I need. Organized and frugal.

seejanegetrich.com October 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM

You're so right about flying during the holidays. I was recently checking on flights to London for new year's and the cheapest one would have me fly on christmas day. I then scrapped the idea and decided to stay home instead!

Aimee "Roo" October 16, 2009 at 12:04 AM

You are smart to start planning now. I have been doing a little planning, but I find it really hard to get into the mood before Halloween is over. :)