It All Came Crashing Down

>> 10.16.2009

It all started with the dated textured walls in the cramped and disgusting bathroom . I knew that they had to go when I added the new tub and surround.

With all my popcorn scraping experience, I thought I would go ahead and scrape off the texture as well. Unlike with the ceilings, the the top layer of drywall paper came off with the texture and left me with an unpaintable surface.

I knew that the wall needed to be floated, but after getting a $300 estimate for the project, I was motivated to tackle it myself. I got some advice from friends with experience and grabbed some supplies from the HD so that I could go to work.
After hours of floating the walls with a thin layer of drywall mud, I encountered a problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have all of the paper layers evened out and air pockets started to form. This caused the mud to lift off of the wall surface.
...and that's where the 'came crashing down' part comes in.
After a taking a moment, I was back to try it again (and much, much happier with the results). I'm determined to finish this project by Tuesday! Wish me luck :).

Have you ever had to restart on a project after hours of hard work?

Jenny October 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Oh no!! That's terrible - I can't even imagine how frustrated you were. I can't wait to see the finished wall!

chacha October 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Good luck!

Not sure what knife you are using float (I see a large putty knife there), but a wide one makes the job much easier = like 10"+ wide taping knife. Results in smoother mud, less ridges - therefore less sanding later.

Mel October 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Ugh! Good luck, Kasey! Your DIY-ness amazes me, as always.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM

@Chacha- You're so full of DIY info! I'll be sure to pick your brain before my next project :). I'm picking up a larger knife today!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I have three words for you: my dining room. I didn't have the same issue when I skimcoated the lower walls, mine was that the primer didn't want to stick after I'd sanded and wiped them down, so I kept getting bubbles and the primer would lift back off the walls constantly. I was in a rage and had to put it off for a few days while I cooled off! It ended up being ok after several days of waiting fo rit to 'cure'.

Kelly Muys Wood October 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM

ah, good times. here's my plaster horror story:

kelly

thelumberjackswife October 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM

My husband and I bought a house that we had to gut and rebuild 6 years ago. He has had so many issues with sheetrock, raping, mud, paint, etc, etc. He hates that part of it. We have a problem with drywall screws peeking through. He is so fed up, he just stares, mutters unders his breath, and walks away. We'll try again another day . . .

Phoe October 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Oh, dear. I'm sorry you had such trouble!

Gayle October 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Your project sounds like a huge job. Good for you to take on the work yourself! I hope it has gone well over the weekend and that you are almost finished!

Abbie October 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM

How frustrating! It seemed like every project we attempted had to be restarted when we were trying to get our house ready to put on the market.