Last Minute Costumes on the Cheap

>> 10.27.2009

I thought the boyfriend and I were all set to spend the night in watching scary movies and stuffing ourselves with candy on Halloween… until a surprise party Evite came into my inbox yesterday. Obviously, I’m not the type to break the bank on a costume and I’d much rather put my extra money towards projects in the house so I’ve been brainstorming cheap, low effort costumes.

Yes, this was the image off of the Evite. Looks like it's going to be a classy affair!
image found here

Check out the ideas I’ve come up with for which I can us my own clothes along with a few accessories or some dollar store make-up:

-Zombie: Wear some ripped up clothes, add a little greenish makeup, create crazy hair look with hairspray, and smear fake blood liberally
-Vampire: Go the Twilight route and wear normal outfit, but add fangs and some powdery facial makeup for that sickly look
-Rapper: Grab some extra large clothes and add a little bling
-Celebrity: pick a celeb that I look similar to and mimic hairstyle and outfit- Think how easy it was for Tina Fey to dress as Sarah Palin.
-Hillbilly: Blackout a few teeth, add a bandana, throw hair into pigtails, tie the bottom of a button up shirt
-Nerd: Roll up jeans, tuck in shirt, add prop glasses, poof up hair
-Witch: I’ve done this before using a black dress, dramatic makeup, knee high boots, a hat, and broom
-Ninja: A friend of mine used this one once- it’s an easy costume for someone who does karate and owns numchucks.
-50’s Housewife: I happen to have a dress that’s pretty 50’s looking. I’d just add heels, an apron, curl the hair and carry around a plate of cookies (maybe the cookies will distract everyone from my last minute duds).
-Hippy: add a headband, a tie-dye shirt, jeans, sandals, wide leg jeans… I think I’ll keep saying, “peace” to everyone until they catch on.

What do you have planned for Halloween? Have any cheap and easy costume ideas?

Jenny October 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Haha those are awesome ideas! I went as a Hippy last year with a crazy tie-dye wrap dress and beads, but if I had to pick my favorite idea from your list it'd have to be 50's Housewife. I love the idea of bringing a plate of cookies - you'd be everyone's favorite.. lol

I think I'll be staying in on Halloween though, since my fiance will probably be working. We'll definitely be carving pumpkins though, and I'll have a bunch of candy in case any kids stop by!

Danielle and Clint October 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Clint and I were actually Hippies last weekend! Very cheap! The only expenses we had was a long hair wig for Clint, peace sign earrings for me, and some long bead necklaces. We spent about $20 all together. Great ideas!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I think I may be in the same boat as you - thinking we're doing nothing and now we're going out. I'm thinking a zombie may be in my future. I was a construction worker one year. I went to the dollar store and bought a kids tool set and belt, a yellow plastic construction hat and orange vest for all of five bucks. Wore a white tee and old dirty jeans. It was cute with my long blonde hair sticking out of the hat!

ashley morgan October 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I love the 50s housewife idea! Love, love, love. Please take a picture if you do that.
We also have a party to go to and need quick costumes. We have a bin full of costumey type stuff like hats and wigs so I'll throw something together from there. No idea yet though.

micah @ the yellow front door October 28, 2009 at 11:46 AM

We are also going to a costume party. Think we are going to be Bill & Sookie from True Blood. Should be fairly easy and cheap... I hope!

Meg October 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Totally in bad taste, but I went as a pregnant redneck last year since we were going to a bar. I made a shirt that said "pour me another, I'm drinking for two!" and duct taped blankets under my shirt.

I topped it off with a jean jacket, a headband, and a perm from a hair crimper that I bought in fifth grade. Best of all, my fake belly was the perfect drink rest.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

@Meg- Bad taste, but hilarious- I love it!!

Tran December 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I was a tourist one year. Put on my I love NY t-shirt, some shorts, white sneakers, binoculars, hat, fanny pack, sunglasses, and stuffed some maps in my pocket.

I was also a nerd. Wore knee socks, pig tails, glasses and a kick me sign. The boyfriend was a soccer boy, wore gym shorts and a soccer jersey he received as a gift, sneakers, and a bandana on his head.

Wish I could find photos...