Next up!

>> 10.30.2009

I promised to stop talking about my finished bathroom reno, right? That means I have to start moving on to other projects. After polling you all and getting some excellent suggestions (you rock!) on what I should through my money into next, I’ve come to the decision to go with the most popular choice: updating the countertops.

1.) countertops 2.) reface cabinets 3.) new appliances 4.) French door/ windows 5.) wait and do all

While drooling over Micah’s new Silestone countertops, I realized I shouldn’t hold myself to going with granite. My goals are to: stick with a budget of under $3,000, get something that’s great for resale, and dramatically improve the look of the kitchen. I’ll be sure to post updates on my choices and how I came to the thriftiest decision.

I’m hoping that I can also make room in the 2010 budget for new windows (before the Energy Star tax rebates expire). Also, I’m going to keep my eyes out for great deals on appliances. Kelly over at Tearing Up Houses had some great tips I think I’ll try to use!

I really appreciate everyone's advice! Remember, I'll be happy to head over to your blog and take a poll or let you know my thoughts if you just ask me in the comments.

I hope you all have a fun/ safe Halloween weekend!

Like a typical busy bee, she was moving around too fast for me to get a good shot of her costume :).

Mrs. Chic October 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM

LOL - The the dog costume! Looking forward to your next project

Dayka October 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

So I see you have a small budget like mine (actually, yours is twice mine!). Have you thought about granite tile countertops? If you want the look and the price is too much, check them out. They look great when the grout lines a very small . . . . I'm excited to see what you choose.

Kate October 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

lol, Love the dog costume!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

@Dayka- Yes, I've thought about the granite tile and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about having to clean the grout. I'm going to look into how a dark granite with dark grout comes across. It might be an option!

micah @ the yellow front door October 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Wow, I'm so flattered that you were drooling over my countertops! We had granite tiles previously, and I did not care for them. They were uneven and the grout lines were too big, and every so often they would fall off the front and we would have to glue them back on. HOWEVER, I'm sure you would do a much better job installing them than whoever did ours. Dark granite with dark grout would look nice. If it's in your budget, though, I'd go with a slab. I know, I know, not very thrifty. Hope that helps a little or maybe just made things more confusing :) Good luck and can't wait to see what you do!

micah @ the yellow front door October 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM

How could I forget to mention the dog costume - love it!

Jenny October 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Yay! I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen! I hope it's as awesome as the bathroom renovation!

And the bee costume is so cute - it makes me wish I had a dog!

Anonymous,  November 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My friend just put in solid surface (Corian or something comparable) counters and they look amazing. He was sold on them because they looked great, but only cost a few hundred more than laminate. Plus they can be sanded down and refinished if they need a 'refreshing' later on.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Thanks for the tip, Sara! Those solid surface countertops seem to be popping up all over the place. I'll definitely price those out.