How I Saved by Speaking Up...

>> 11.17.2009

As I mentioned here, I decided to go with a Lowe's granite countertops for my kitchen. Then after doing a quick poll on whether or not I should do a bar step-up, I decided it was time to go in and make the big purchase.

As we were going through the paperwork for the countertops, I came across a little cost discrepancy (always read before signing). Although I first began working with the Lowe's salesperson under a price promotion, the salesperson told me that the granite company was no longer honoring the promotion as it had expired. That $230 difference would go a long way towards the other projects I had planned so I wasn't willing to let it go easily! In my most calm and matter-of-fact voice I replied:

"Well, I know that you run these types of promotions all the time, so I guess I'll just cancel my order and wait for the next one to come along... that is, unless you can call them again and ask what they can do for me..."

Did the salesperson want to lose his commission? No. Did the granite company want to lose a customer? No. Did I end up getting the promotion past its expiration date? You know it.

Bonus tip: Friday is the best day for haggling. In my case, the manager of the granite company wanted to get off of work for the weekend and ended up caving in.

In case you're wondering... I ended up going with 'Absolute Black' (I like that it has minimal color variations). Here's an example of a beautiful kitchen that went with the same material (found on this blog):

Have you ever saved money by speaking up or haggling?

I'm linking this post up with the Penny Pinching Party over at The Thrifty Home.

Head over to join in with the fun!

Living It At Home November 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Hello! I really like the black countertops. I was thinking of doing that at some point. Thanks for all the great info. Good luck! ~jamilyn

Kate November 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Love the black countertops - can't wait to see them installed! They'll look great!

Amanda November 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I always speak up. If you're not rude, the worst that will happen is they will say no. You're right about being calm- it is much more effective. But you also have to show that you know what you want. Even when I'm in the wrong (like once with an $80 overdue library fine- yikes) I still call and politely ask if they can help me out a bit. Same with parking tickets, etc. They usually at least knock off half. Of course, lately I have been learning to just avoid those types of fees in the first place!

onegrandhome November 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I tend to leave the outright haggling to my husband, who is a world class bargainer. I have been able to get discounts on slightly damaged items in big box stores and though it doesn't relate to homes, I have resolved to never eat another bad, expensive meal again. I've sent dishes back all over America and it makes me a much happier diner when I splurge on a pricey night out.

chacha November 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Good job haggling!

That there is an IKEA kitchen - Stat cabinets. I know IKEA kitchen stuff from sight - it's a sickness.

Jamie Lee {Starting Out Savvy} November 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Good for you! I've saved tons of money haggling for wedding stuff. Things are needlessly expensive and vendors often don't offer discounts unless you ask!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" November 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I would have done the same thing if I were in your position.

My haggling strategy involves offering to pay in full with cash; from furniture stores, car repairs, to gym memberships. And I always make sure I get a receipt. ^_^

Danielle and Clint November 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Good Job! My mom always said, "Kill them with kindness", and it usually works. But I do find that Home Depot, by us, is not as willing and helpful as Lowe's with this sort of stuff.

Btw, LOVE the countertops! I was considering the black granite because the contrast was awesome against white cabinets.

Meg November 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM

You know, at some point I need to just grow some coconuts. I really have a hard time speaking up and everyone is always telling me I need to just stand up for myself.

I film promotional videos for my company that we post on youtube and other viral sites and we bought a new camera recently. Long story short, I had to send in the corporate check before they sent us the camera. They waited until they received our check to let me know the camera I had JUST ordered the week before (that they had sent me an invoice for) was suddenly discontinued and the next model up was going to be 100 dollars more.

My boss made me stand up to them, and before I knew it, we got the camera we wanted for 100 dollars less than they had originally quoted. I must say that it felt pretty good!

You seemed to know exactly how to handle it. Thanks for the Friday tip!

Mrs. Chic November 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I'm glad you spoke up! The black counters are going to look reall nice

Jen November 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for linking up to my party. We must be on the same wavelength because this is the perfect post. I love how you got the discount without asking for the discount, but canceling your order.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Heck, yes! I ask for discounts whenever possible, and I will also ask contractors to 'do better' when they give me a price. I recently ordered custom windows and got $100 off the invoice price just by asking, a discount he offered in exchange for a cash payment.

The Brick Cottage November 18, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Great tip! I find that being nice (and resonable) will go a long way when trying to negotiate. I know I've mentioned it before (so sorry for mentioning it again) but I used to work in retail and being cool headed goes a looong way to those making the decisions. I've received discounts on furniture delivery and protection plans by simply asking "is that the best offer or can you do better?".

micah @ the yellow front door November 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Those black countertops are going to look FAB.

We got free delivery from Lowe's on our appliances just by asking.

Kristin November 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM

My friend haggled over a chair at Crate and Barrel and saved a hundred bucks!

Christy November 22, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Beautiful countertops! I have had no luck attempting to haggle in the past at box stores, maybe it is time to try again.