How much does your face cost?

>> 11.04.2009

I’ve asked about the breakdown for your life and your hair, but now I want to know how much it costs to put on your face (you know, make-up). You guessed it- like my hair, I don’t put much money into my face. I’ve tried department store cosmetics counters and cheapo drug store brands and I’ve come to the conclusion that most of the products don’t show enough of a difference for me to splurge on (feel free to convince me otherwise).

I’m a thrifty spender, but I’m not going to use bacteria-infested products just to save a few bucks. As you can see in these guidelines, most products (except for mascara and liquid liner) last as least a year. I try to stay on the safe side so I go out and replace all of my products at least once a year. When I do buy products, I only buy items that are on special! The drug and grocery stores always have at least one brand on special and checking out a few different places is always worth the savings for me! Check out how much my most recent batch of supplies cost me:

From top left:
Eyeshadow- $4 (drugstore BOGO deal)
Tinted Burt's Bee's gloss- $3 (grocery)
Blush and powder- $6 (Ulta BOGO deal with $3.50 coupon)
Concealer- $4 (drugstore special with additional coupon)
Tinted moisturizer- $4 (drugstore special with additional coupon)
Bare Mineral's bronzer- free sample from friend
Mascara- $5 for two (Target)
The BOGO special is probably how I ended up with so much Revlon!

I've had the brushes and eyelash curlers for years. I keep them clean by washing the bristles with mild cleanser and changing out the eyelash curler inserts.
Eyelash curler inserts- $2 (drugstore with coupon)
RevitaLift- $10 (drugstore special)
SPF 30 face lotion- $4 (grocery store)
Lip balm- $1 for two (Target)
Grand Total: $43 or $3.58 per month
You might notice that I’m pretty minimal when it comes to products- I came to the realization of what I really needed once I started traveling to my boyfriend’s house frequently during the week. Having to keep everything in a travel makeup bag made me realize which products were frivolous and allowed me to trim down. In addition to helping me cut back on spending, that experience in simplifying made it much easier to learn to love my new, tiny bathroom vanity space.

Are you a drug store junkie like me or do you have more expensive tastes? What’s the product that you can’t imagine living without?

*Oh, and if you're a subscriber and you want to see how all those products actually turn out when applied, head over to the blog- I've added a my profile picture.

Danielle and Clint November 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I am sort of on both sides of the fence with this. I use cheapo products and department store products. But I don't wear a lot of makeup at. So my bill isn't much. I like Mary Kay's face products also. So I think I try to spend within reason

Jamie Lee November 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM

You should look into the All Natural Face on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/theallnaturalface

I think you'd really like them especially because the quantity of products that they give you for your money is really great. It is by far the most affordable mineral makeup that I have ever seen. To give you an idea, I did a post on them here: http://www.startingoutsavvy.com/2009/09/the-all-natural-face/

It outlines everything I bought and everything that the seller sent me. Affordable and good for your skin! You've got to love that.

Oh, and FYI we use the same mascara. I've tried all different price points and I still think Great Lash is the best.

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life November 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I LOVE the great lash mascara (i've also tried basically every single thing out there and I like this one the best)!

Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody November 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Lol. I know! I bought some of the stuff at a sale at the beginning of October, and I was able to hold off all of October, but now that it's November and we don't have any more holidays between now and Christmas (here in Canada), I indulged. And I was a little bored to be honest and it was simple fun.
I was totally angry walking into the Dollar store not even a week ago looking for some Fall pumpkin stuff, and I couldn't even find it! Now I've gone and done this.
Have you decided where to put your renovation money yet? We've got a condo and I'm trying to stay aware of how much we can actually get out of it down the road, even when I want to change pretty much every surface in the place.

Thanks for visiting!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Jen- I'm doing the exact same thing with my renovation money! I've decided on putting the last big chunk into the kitchen countertops because the ones I have are near death and I know it will instantly increase the value of the home.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Jamie Lee- Thanks for the tip, I'm always up for trying new products!

Heather@PixieDust November 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I'm a recovering beauty addict and tend to buy mostly from sephora. so for your amusement? shock? I added up the cost of the items I used this morning - $287. It never seems that bad when you buy an item or two at a time (gulp)

Dayka November 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Thanks for your comment on my post and the tip about the mini-roller. Now, I just need someone to help me with the taping and measuring . . . . . :)

Debbie November 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I use L'oreal foundation & mascara & Revlon face powder. I only use Lancome & Dior eye shadow though, that is my splurge once a year.

Love the profile photo, you are sooo pretty. :)

SeeJaneGetRich.com November 5, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Let's see what I did this morning. Got up out of bed, brushed my teeth, took a shower, combed my hair and I was out the door. My face cost me $0 and I think it looks pretty nice! :-)

Anne Living Life November 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Great post! I have a combo of drugstore and expensive makeup products. Definitely love the Bare Escentials Mineral makeup.

Amanda November 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I'm a little half and half on this one. I wasn't blessed with the best skin, so I use Proactiv (not a plug for them, haha). But honestly, it is the only thing that works for me. It's expensive, but then I have clear skin, which means I can slap on a cheapo powder. As far as mascara, eyeshadow, blush, etc. it is all the same to me. I've tried it all (I have some high-rolling friends) and I couldn't tell the difference between Lancome eyeshadow and Cover Girl unless you showed me the package. I have been thinking about splurging on some of that mineral foundation though...

Mel November 9, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I use a mix too, but could never, ever give up my MAC eye shadows!