Meet My Thrifty Boyfriend...

>> 11.23.2009

You've seen him pop up on some of my blog posts...

Remember this classic shower before pic (don't forget to check out the afters)?

Or when he helped sand the ceilings after I scraped the popcorn?

Well, I think it's about time for a formal introduction! Meet Nate:
We've been dating since January 2009 and couldn't be happier! He's actually moving into the construction zone (aka my house) in December (and yes, he's contributing rent). We have a lot in common: we love keeping active (running and triathlons are our favorites), can't miss NBC's Thursday nights, and have a shared obsession for self-serve yogurt.

Gotta love a guy that will take pictures with a giant sandwich when asked :).
Oh, but did I mention he's thrifty? After saving up for the past year, Nate was posed to buy the tri bike of his dreams this past weekend. Not one to blindly throw money into a big purchase, he did his research and found a way to strike the deal of his dreams. By buying last season's model at a shop that was in the process of liquidating their merchandise, he saved almost $800 off of the list price and stayed way under his $2,500 budget (tri bikes aren't cheap!).

For you cycling buffs out there, here's a pic of his new love (I promise, I'm not jealous...):
Are you the thrifty one in the relationship or does you SO take that role? Any other cyclists out there?

Meg November 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Aw, you guys! What a cute couple! it sounds like you're a thrifty match made in heaven. And did I mention I love 30 Rock?

My husband and I are both pretty frugal. All of the things in our house are either repurposed childhood furniture, hand-me-downs, purchases from Goodwill or on Craig's List finds. Our biggest splurges were a new sofa and mattress from Macy's, but we got those using wedding money, during their fourth of July sale, using discounts, and with a year of no financing. What would have been about $2700 came out to $1100 total. So, you could say we both love a good deal.

Who impresses whom the most in your relationship with thriftiness?

Amanda November 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Okay, it's a little eerie how much we are alike. For starters, I love 30 Rock. Second, I definitely have the thrifty gene. And Stan (my boyfriend who also pops up on my blog every now and again) is also thrifty, although he is willing to splurge on a high-quality ski jacket, backpacking tent, etc. And, he's big into cycling! He helped start the cycling team where we went to college (University of Utah). And I'm the runner- I did my first half-marathon last spring, and am itching to do another one. He sometimes accuses me of being cheap (of which I am sometimes guilty) but for the most part, we agree on most money issues. Thanks for sharing about your bf! (And way to go on charging him rent:-)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM

@Meg- That's a hard one to call! It's a little bit of a give and take: I'm always helping him find the best deals on clothes and saving coupons that I think he'll need, but he helped me find the best airfares for Thanksgiving and talks me out of making unnecessary purchases. I'd say we're a good match!

Speaking of 30 Rock, I made him take a "which character are you" quiz the other day and he turned out to be Jenna (I'm a Liz)!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Amanda- That's too funny! My guy was on his college cycling team as well (University of Texas).

Another 30 Rock note- Nate haaaated 30 Rock (don't ask) when I first met him, but he watched every episode on Hulu after I told him that it was my favorite show. He eventually caught on to the hilarity and loves it now. I later told him that it was almost a ‘dealbreaker!’

Sarah November 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I'm definately the thrifty one... FYI I just recently mentioned your "weed" post in my recent "thrifty tips" post. :-) Hubby likes that I'm thrifty and save us money - he just lets me handle it!

Jamie Lee {Starting Out Savvy} November 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Yall make a really cute couple. My fiance and I are both pretty frugal but I'm the one who keeps us on track. :) Tell Nate congrats on his big purchase!

LizzieBeth November 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM

:::waves:::

Hi Nate. It's nice to meet you ;)

Kim at Yellow Brick Home November 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Great to meet Nate! Funny timing, I just posted a meet and greet of us today on our blog :)

To answer your question, I love my man, but I'm the thrifty one in our relationship. I would never, ever, ever send him on a grocery trip by himself. He'd come back with 10 boxes of cereal, a bag of cookies, and maybe an apple, along with what's on the LIST. He'd be the first to admit it, too!

WhimsAndInconsistencies November 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Husband and I are going to try to start biking some when the weather becomes acceptable again. Hopefully that will be awesome.
Fortunately, Lee and I both appreciate a good deal and know when to something is worth the extra price. We both put saving and donating as a top priority. I tend to be more of the fanatical one, probably because I'm organized and OCD. ;)

micah @ the yellow front door November 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Aw, you make such a cute couple!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't call either of us thrifty, but we're getting better.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Hello to Nate! We are both pretty thrifty, Shaun's cheaper than I am though. Neither one of us even have a bike! Ridiculous, I know. Well actually I do have one, but my parents are holding it hostage at their house....maybe I should get that back?

Bromeliad November 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Hi Nate!

I am the thrifty one but my husband is the wheeler dealer.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home November 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM

You guys are adorable and well-matched.

I'd like to call myself thrifty but cheap feels like a more honest word. The husband is too but is extremely generous when it comes to indulging me, which is sweet.

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" December 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Ok, I'm a little late, but Welcome Nate!

Quick question, will we see a "man cave" surfacing in the near future? ;)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM

@Dolores- Ha, he wishes! I will have to make some decisions based on his "needs" though. Right now, we're in the middle of the office vs. guest room debate.

Anonymous,  December 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!