Quick and Thrifty Bathroom Upgrade

>> 11.03.2009

Want to class up your bathroom in a matter of seconds? It's as simple as changing your post title from "Cheap and Easy" to "Quick and Thrifty" (sounds a little classier, right?).

I know I promised not to mention the big makeover I finished a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not going to... I'll just mention a little detail that I didn't before: the bath products. While the $1 shampoo and conditioner I use in my cheapo hair routine are great for my wallet, they just don't cut it (ha!) when it comes to looks. What do I do? Peel the labels off. Seriously. That's it. Check out the difference:
I know, you'd swear it was a $3 bottles of shampoo ;)!

Wasn't good enough of a tip for you? Here's a bonus tip: you might notice that I don't have any shaving cream on my bath product shelf. To save space and money, I use hair conditioner to shave my legs with. Try it- it works just as well as any foaming cream! Bonus tip #2: Yep, I stick my razor in a toothbrush holder to keep it from slipping onto the shower floor.

Do you have any quick tips for upgrades in a bathroom?

I've linked this post up to DIY Day over at A Soft Place to land. Head over to check out all of the other projects (and a giveaway)!

Emily@remodeling this life November 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

love your subway tile.

I use conditioner instead of shaving cream too!

SeeJaneGetRich.com November 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I've used conditioner before to shave but it wasn't foamy enough and I thought I was wasting a lot of my conditioner. I sometimes keep my razor in a big soap box that I have.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM

@SeeJaneGetRich- I think the tricks to using the conditioner are to: 1. use the cheap stuff 2. let it rest for a good minute or so to work its softening magic (just like you do with head hair). Still, it just might not work for everyone.

Coree November 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM

You have great $$ saving ideas! I too use conditoner as shaving cream. I think it makes my legs feel softer too!

Jenny November 4, 2009 at 9:39 AM

That's a cute idea - removing the labels. I don't think my fiance would be able to remember the difference between shampoo and conditioner though!

The Blasphemous Fiendess November 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I do the label peel off too! I use conditioner for shaving my legs and I like to find a moisturizer that i can use all over, including my face, which means great moisturizing properties but not oily. I like Kiss My Face, Jason and Beauty Without Cruelty products.

The Blasphemous Fiendess November 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Blasphemous Fiendess November 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chelsea@domesticatedbliss November 5, 2009 at 8:42 AM

This is so embarrassing, but my face is expensive....I am a Bare Minerals lover and loyal customer. I use coupons though! We also have an outlet in town too!

Danielle @ MissMouthy.com December 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM

This is my kind of DIY project! It matches my skill level perfectly!
To save time and space, I shave with the Venus razor that has a strip of shave gel right on it. It's a little pricier, but it really does save time.