Adventures in (De)Tiling

>> 12.16.2009

You know I love to do demolition (aka create large holes in my walls) supposedly it’s to save money… but sometimes it ends up costing me in wall repairs. Demo-ing the laminate kitchen countertops was such a success ($300 saved!) that I thought I would be able to take care of removing the kitchen tile backsplash as well. Last night as I chiseled away at the tile backsplash in my kitchen until midnight, I think that the only thing that I was saving myself from was sleep.

9:00PM
Nate: Would you like me to help?
Me: Yes, that would be really nice.

9:15PM
Nate: They’re not coming down.
Me: I’ll Google a better way to do this.
...um, I think this is it?

9:20PM
Me: Ugh, I just made a giant hole in the drywall… maybe I should be more careful.

9:30PM
Nate: Can I go to bed now?

10:45PM
Me: I’ll just rip it down; I’m sure the tile guy can fix it later.

Three hours and a ridiculous number of tools later, the kitchen is de-tiled and re-destroyed. The tile guy is coming today so we’ll see how much repairing my destruction will cost this time…

We all need our little moments of destruction, right? Okay, it's possible that I was still taking out a little of my anger from the counter situatuion.

Jestagrrrl December 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM

wow, we're going to redo our kitchen in the beginning of the year, look what I have to look forward too :)

Kate December 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Whoa! That is one impressive demo job!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft December 16, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Wow! You have done a ton of work. Looking amazing so far. Can't wait to see more progress!

chacha December 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what happens when you demo tile attached to drywall. It doesn't come off without pulling off parts of the drywall.

The tile guy might want fresh drywall there, so worst case, you have to cut out the bad, put up some new pieces in that section. Or hardibacker (or greenboard) instead of drywall. Let us know how he does it - I am curious :o)

LizzieBeth December 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM

We'll filed this one under 'life lesson'. ;)

micah @ the yellow front door December 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Yikes! Luckily ours came off in a couple of big pieces. Can't wait to see the new backsplash!

Amanda December 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Yeah, he may have to just re-drywall or put hardibacker up. Tiling on an uneven surface is no fun, and it doesn't yield very good results. Sorry for your trouble! At least you had mancandy around for support.

Jacci December 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Oooooh, in a weird way that really looks like fun. Was it satisfying in a weird way, too, like picking a scab? Something about tearing out the parts you don't like and making room for the pretty new is just so great. Looking forward to seeing the new tile up!!

~Jacci

Ursula Graham December 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Wow that looks like a lot of work. I didn't realize tile could be so attached, ugh! I hope the repairs are relatively cheap and simple.

Dayka December 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Love the new sink and countertops. How exciting it must be to be getting a new kitchen!!! Torn drywall is the worst--thank God you don't have to fix it yourself! Can't wait to see the finished job!

Amanda December 16, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Ugh - what a task! I applaud you for trying to do it all yourself though! I liked the play-by-play. :)

kelly@TearingUpHouses December 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM

i wrote a little post about tiling and demo a while back... http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-bag-of-mail.html

ah, good time...

kelly

p.s. that is so funny about our posts today!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno December 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I think our kitchens were twins in another life. We had to just pound out each individual 'brick' in the backsplash, too. We found random holes, paper towels stuffed into the walls, all kinds of crap. That is why the kitchen is on 'hold' indefinitely!