Best Resolution Ever

>> 12.30.2009

Did the post title catch your eye? Okay, so sometimes I exaggerate, but this time I’m serious! In 2009, I single-handedly knocked out* a monster of a resolution that will change the way that I live my life for years and years to come (…and it might be slightly off-topic for this thrifty blog, but it costs absolutely nothing and made so much of an impact on me that I felt like I should share the idea with you as the New Year comes closer).

The year 2008 was most definitely one of the hardest years of my life: someone close to me had died, I decided to leave my former career, ended a long-term relationship, and dealt with debilitating illness. After all of that, I decided it was time to pull myself out of the funk I was in and do something to focus on all of the positives in my life. That was when I decided to jump on board with Project 365, a year-long venture in photography in which one takes one picture for each day of the year. After a quick Google search, I was armed and ready to go with great tips and Flickr groups full of inspiration.

I’m by no means a photographer (it’s a simple Olympus point-and-shoot for me), but by focusing on my purpose for doing the project, came up with images that instantly surface memories of the moments I captured. Can you say that you remember something from each day of the year?

I started off the year with the very first sunrise. (day 1)

Some images bring back feelings~ This one was taken on my way back from my first date with Nate! (Day 30)

Remembering the feeling of cheering for the marathon to reminds me of why I'm in training for my own. (day 46).

Bringing my camera everywhere with me paid off more times than I can count. (day 108)

I always chose the most memorable images over those with the best quality (day 128)

(day 178)

As a bonus to the whole thing, my photography skills started to improve. (day 208)

The renovations ate up quite a few spots after buying the house. (day 226)

Of course, that boy I love made a few appearances. (day 298)

And this one seemed to be in more than her share of shots. (day 317)

In the end, it was more about the memory of the image than who actually took the picture. (day 334)

And even if 2009 wasn’t the best year of my life, looking back at the large photo collection filled with familiar faces, proud accomplishments, and simple moments I experienced really makes it feel that way.

Did you follow through on any resolutions in 2009?

*okay, I haven’t “finished” it yet… but I’m confident that I can make it these last two days

ashley morgan December 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Love it! So great for documenting your life.

Aimee December 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I have tried twice now to do the project, I so love the idea of it. I started again this month, but plan to keep trying even though I have missed some days.

Your photos are great! Love the dog pics especially. :) Happy New Year!

Kerry December 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I took part in Project 365 in 2008 - was going to carry on through 2009 and stopped in April. I still use the same photoblog I always did, and I may consider taking it up again in 2010! it's a great feeling to accomplish it I found :)

Jessica December 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I really hope to do this in 2010!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home December 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I about cried at the photo of the pup. I'm such an animal lover, it's almost a sickness.

Awesome job on chronicling your past year! I've always thought that would be fun to do, but since I am a photographer and can take up to 3,000 photos at weddings, it almost seemed like more of a chore.

Ha! Nonetheless, it's super cool to see that you followed through with your resolution. Well done!

Kate @ Twenty-Six 2 Life December 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I one hundred million percent LOVE this! I've been itching for a photography goal of some kind and I think I may have to steal this for 2010!

Nicole December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I've heard of Project 365, but never really knew what it was. I've been trying to decide on something I'd like to accomplish in 2010, and I think this would be a great thing to do.

Heather December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I. LOVE. THIS! What an amazing resolution - I might be stealing this for 2010! What a great way to document the year and also find something to smile about each day. Wonderful!

Carly December 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I LOVE this idea! I always have my camera with me..this might just be something I accomplish this year as well. Great post! :) Have a great New Year!

Babs December 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

What an inspirational idea! I'm with the other comments--I may do this myself in 2010 as well :) My wedding is this year so documenting every day of this special time will be fantastic!

Thanks SO much for the idea :)

micah @ the yellow front door December 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Awesome idea Kasey!! I know someone who did this last year too. Great resolution for 2010 :)

Audreya December 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I LOVE this idea! My blog post today is about how I hate New Year's Resolutions and never stick to them... but this one is awesome and I just might give it a try!!! Thanks!

Flavia @ Estilo Home December 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I've heard about this and thought it was a great concept, but never tried it myself. From your success, I might have to try this as well! It's so easy to let life go by but this is such a great way to capture those special little moments.

WhimsAndInconsistencies December 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I'm glad you liked your 365 project since I'm starting mine on Friday!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" December 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Best resolution ever indeed! What a great idea to capture every memorable moment and reminisce with your loved ones. Your post was such a heart warmer (perfect for today's arctic weather). Are you continuing with the project in twenty-ten?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

@Dolores~ Great question! I haven't 100% decided that myself :). I'll probably start it, but not hold myself to finishing because I have another giant resolution that I think will be equally rewarding and suck up a lot of my time.

I might switch to a picture of the week or 1-shot a day (where you use the first shot you take rather than selecting one from several trys) format instead.

Either way, I'll never stop carrying my camera around with me and capturing as many memorable moments as I can! It's the 'I'm taking this because I have to' shots that I might skip out on for 2010.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty December 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I am so impressed that you completed a resolution for an entire year. That alone is an accomplishment. And what a great project to show for it. It must be so great to be able to go back and "look through" your year!

Kristi W. December 30, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Wow this is really impressive! Nice job sticking with your idea. I am really glad you bounced back after a rough year. Thanks for sharing your resolution with us. :)

Kathryn December 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I had never heard of this project. Thank you for sharing this and your recap of this past year - it is inspirational and I am going to make Project 365 part of my New Years Resolution.

Sorry it has been a tough year and best wishes that this coming year is better one for you.

Kathryn December 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

CC December 30, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I love the project and the pictures are wonderful. What a fantastic way to docunent your life. Have a safe,wonderful and Happy New Year..

Mel December 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I love this. It's a great way to remember the monumental and even simple things that happen in your life. Happy New Year!

Jaimie December 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

This is awesome. I am officially going to do this this year! Also, I am going to start doing some photog tutorials on my blog, so I hope you stop by!

Amanda December 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Neat idea for a resolution! I bet it really made you stop to appreciate things. I'm not sure I even remember what my resolutions last year were, so I probably didn't follow through with them... Oops. I resolve to do better in 2010! :)

Stephanie Lynn December 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Your photos are fabulous! I can tell they are filled with lots of memories and feeling just by looking at them. What an amazing idea...I really would like to try and do this! Thanks for sharing...Here are some blessings for the Happy New Year! =)

Ocean December 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM

That is a great idea!!! Love your pics!

SimonsSistaSaw December 31, 2009 at 4:41 AM

Thanks for confirming what I thought would be a great goal. Your pics (and year) look amazing so congratulations on all you have achieved. Project 365 is one of my goals. In blogging about it, I've linked to this post. I hope that is ok -

Alexis L. of One Grand Home December 31, 2009 at 6:38 AM

That's amazing. I am glad to hear that you have conquered and transitioned and triumphed in 2009 and I know 2010 will be just as bright for you. I don't normally make New Year's Eve resolutions but the Project 365 commitment is one worth keeping. Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration, Kasey.

Melissa,  December 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Wonderful testimony to your commitment and accomplishments! As others have said, this is inspiring me to think harder about my own resolutions--and even possibly adopting this one as my own!

Peck Avenue December 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM

ive been thinking about doing this for awhile now - its so encouraging to hear how much of an impact it made on you. i feel like this is one of those resolutions i may actually stick to!

Amy January 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Thank you for dropping me a sweet note on my blog! I am thoroughly enjoying yours as well! I had a resolution last year that was the same as yours: I wanted to keep a photo journal by taking 1 picture a day, only I failed miserably at it! You are an inspiration and a much better goal keeper than I! Thanks again and keep up the good reads!

Andhari January 1, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Those are beautiful pictures, it captured all the simple and not-so-simple things in life, especially if you feature a person you love like that :) may 2010 brings you better things :)

Tovah January 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure how you found me but I'm glad you left a comment and linked back to your blog--I've enjoyed reading your thrifty tips and your bathroom reno was truly amazing. That shower was so small! It brought back memories of the year in college that I lived in a basement apartment with a teeny tiny shower:)

Oh and Happy New Year! Great resolution to take a pic a day.

DescribeHappy January 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I have to say I really enjoyed hearing about project 365... first time I've heard about something like that! I am also a camera junkie and can't help but always have a camera with me. Gives me a nice idea to use all those pictures! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog. You can bet I'll be coming back to read more here! Good luck starting your Masters degree!