Brown Paper Packages...

>> 12.17.2009

Don't you love the contrast between plain brown packing paper and the sparkles off of a fancy velvet ribbon or ornament off of the tree? I do! So that's why I might have fibbed a bit in my holiday dollar store deals and duds list. There is one wrapping paper that you'll always catch me grabbing for a measly $1:

Luckily, the $1 brown paper is usually the only thing I needed to buy to wrap my gifts. With a little creativity, I can create fun wrappings using that plus my stash of post holiday clearance finds and random craft tools.

Remember the fishing wire/ bead trimmings I made for my tree?

With the help from those beads and blue curling ribbon, this package gets an icy theme. {always double up when you're using the cheapo curling ribbon- it makes for a much more expensive look}

All it takes are some scissors and a hole punch and a blank index card turns into a gift tag.

I took a little inspiration from my tree skirt and a red sharpie out of my tool box to add a little interest to the brown paper

Oh, and that fancy red velvet ribbon? A total DIY out of a spool of clearance ribbon from last year.

How do you wrap your gifts? Do you throw in all the bells and whistles or just cover the gifts with paper and tape then call it a day (like some boyfriends I know...).

Amanda December 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I love brown paper too. I'm so impressed by the red designs! I've also always had a thing for presents wrapped in newspaper... is that tacky?

Kate December 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM

ohmigosh! I looooove the red design on the brown paper. I may have to steal this for next year (already have my paper for this year). It looks so good!

ConsciouslyFrugal December 17, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I've started "wrapping" things in Trader Joe's vintage-inspired packaging. I placed a gift card for a work function in a TJ's instant pudding mix box. It was quite the topic o' conversation!

Meg December 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Oh my goodness. Beautiful! I never thought about brown paper, but now I will!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM

@Amanda- No~ I'd love the black and white (I would skip the pages with pictures) with a simple ribbon just as much!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life December 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM

You are so crafty! I love those doodles on the brown craft paper!

Ursula G December 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Gasp! You did that with a marker? I thought you must have purchased brown paper with a red design and I was thinking where on earth would you get that at! You should come over and do a damask pattern on my wall. Haha. I love it, it's very pretty!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner December 17, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I agree, the brown paper makes a great canvas to show off the sparkly ribbon and bows! Did you really freehand those red designs?? Impressive!

I usually go for some sort of shiny wrapping paper with some simple ribbon, and this year I jazzed up a few of the gifts by adding ornament charms. (Check out the link for the pics:)

Miss Frugal December 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comment! I am totally with you on the brown paper packages! I've done the same thing this year (to mix in with some other wrapping paper we have) - but the brown paper ones are my favorite! :) Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Kristi Lynne December 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I love this. We did most of our presents in brown butcher paper or bags from the grocery store. It was fun and with some interesting bows, they really looked fantastic. Who knew I was so crafty? :)