I Reserve My Right to Return

>> 12.28.2009

It was such a great holiday weekend with family, friends, and even snow!! I know that most of you out there probably hate snow at this point but remember, I’m in Texas and seeing snow here is something that definitely does not go unnoticed! Having it on Christmas Eve was enough to get the family instantly out the door and taking pictures…

Here I am with my sister (far right) and younger cousins.

The Christmas gifts were opened, Chinese food was eaten (a family tradition), and a movie was watched (Sherlock Holmes)… but the fun of Christmas wasn’t over yet! I still had my clearance shopping to look forward to! With list in hand, I was up bright and early on the 26th to see what goodies Santa had forgotten to leave for me.

You'll find people lined up outside just to get into Crate & Barrel... talk about a madhouse!

With brightly colored sale signs everywhere I looked, I had to keep my Christmas clearance-shopping tests in mind:

*Can I go DIY for less? Sure, time was running short this year with all of the renovation projects I had going on, but next year should be prime time to glitter and bead everything my heart desires. That’s why I knew I could pass up all of the cheapo wreaths and candles taunting me from the store shelves.

*Does it fit with the theme? My current decorations are all tied together with a modern silver, gold, and red theme so as cute as that rustic brown moose centerpiece was, I knew adding it to my room would just detract from the overall look.

*Was it on the list? No matter how cheap, I know that I don’t need another tree skirt or nativity scene so having my list of d├ęcor needs keeps me time and again from buying unnecessary junk to cram in my garage (unlike some relatives I know…).

*Do I really like it? This is one of the biggest shopping mistakes I’ve made in the past. Just because that wreath window decal is marked down by 90% does not mean that it is a good deal (remember, window decals are never good deals)

*Can it be returned? I can’t stress enough how important this one is! If it passes all of the above tests I’ll snag it in an instant… IF the store’s return policy will allow me to bring it back once I find an even better sale with an even cuter tree topper in the upcoming weeks. Fifty percent is a great markdown for those must-have items that top your ‘needs’ list (and might be gone by the next day), but expect to see prices drop down to 75-90% off in the next two weeks… I know I’ll be checking back in with my favorite stores!

And because I’m sure you’re wondering, here are a few highlights from Saturday:

These sparkly trees were a good 4 feet each and perfect for flanking my fireplace at $25 total (Marshalls).

I loved the disco ball look of these when I thought that they were ornaments, but squealed with excitement when I realized that it was actually an 8-pack of place card holders for $3.50 (Marshalls)! If I decide to go for it, these would be the perfect way to mark dishes for a New Year’s Eve party.

Thanks to Target's return policy, I can take back this advent calendar ($15) or table runner ($15) if I end up falling out of love in the upcoming few weeks.

After going to Target, Marshalls, Crate & Barrel, T.J. Max, Home Depot, Lowe's, my local grocery store, Pier One, and World Market... I'm going to have to give the 2009 Holiday Clearance Award to Marshalls for selection, lack of crowds, and pricing (probably because they start so low to begin with).  I still haven't hit any craft stores, but I'm sure I'll swing by a few to get great deals on ribbon later this week.

Did anyone find great clearance deals this weekend?

I'm linking this post up with the 14th Penny Pinching Party over at The Thrifty Home.

Head over to join in with the fun!

McLaura December 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Good job on your purchases! I have the sparkly tree from Marshalls in green, and I love it! They tend to shed glitter quite a bit, so I put mine on a tray. The advent calendar is beautiful as well.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

@McLaura~ Ha, I learned about the glitter quite quickly! I'm still happy with the trees considering they won't be moved around very much and make such a big statement for so little. Thanks for the tip about using a tray :).

Amy@TheLemonCottage December 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Great buys!
We did a little shopping, but we are out of room in our little house.... so, I didn't get a whole lot. We keep talking about moving, and I am in that bad habit of purchasing things for the 'new' house. We've been talking about it for 4 years... so I need to stop doing it! LOL
~Amy

Kim at Yellow Brick Home December 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM

love that runner!

the hubs and i took the money that santa left under the tree and finally bought a tiny tv for the bedroom. after the great debate (tv or no tv in the bedroom?) we decided the deal was too good to be true.

Carly December 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Love the advent calendar from Target, I had my eye on it before Christmas but didn't love the price...maybe there's a rather cheap one still left at my Target.

By the way...I'm from Texas too! Wasn't the snow just great?

micah @ the yellow front door December 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I'm so with you on the return policy. If I can't return it, I probably won't buy it. Love those sparkly trees!!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno December 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM

You got some goodies! I found 2 brown velvet pillow covers at Crate and Barrel for $9.95 each! And a beautiful throw blanket for $30 instead of $50, those were my splurges.

Kerry December 29, 2009 at 12:03 PM

LOVE the advent calendar at Target! Saw it when we were down visiting my boyfriends family in Boston for Thanksgiving. They only had 1 though and it was kind of broken... not to mention it never would've fit in our luggage! :) Hope you enjoy it!!

Delightful Dwelling December 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Great finds! I'll have to check out Marshall's, I already hit the sales at Target and it was crazy there.

Rebecca at How I Burb January 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Just found your blog. That's a good list to shop by! Kohls . com has been my big place for after-Christmas finds. Earlier this week I ordered 10 each of quilted table runners, kitchen towels, and kitchen towel/potholder combos - for a total of $15 shipped. I'm going to use them for gift packages next year. Now I'll just wait for the super sales next week.

Jen January 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I love your practical list and have basically the same one in my head whenever I go out shopping. I used to buy stuff just because it was cheap and I couldn't pass up a good deal. My home got cluttered very quickly with this method of shopping. Now when I go out I come home with only things I need. I'm definitely featuring your post this week.