The Not So ‘Holly Jolly’ Home

>> 12.14.2009

Note to self: renovations + boyfriend moving in + Christmas= never again.

I'll admit it- I don't have a perfectly decorated home for the holidays. Hey, at least there's a tree somewhere in there! Anyone else in the "I just bought my first home and I'm still stuck in the renovation/ move in" phase?

Amanda December 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Yes ma'am. Not even a tree at my house... the only attempt I've made at decorating is lamely draping some lights on my porch. They kinda look like they were hung up by an 8 year-old who couldn't reach very high- even though they were hung up by a 24 year-old who can't reach very high.

Kate December 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM

We've been in our house for nearly 2 years and we're still in that phase. At least now I feel like I've started move through it - slowly but surely right?

Jaimie December 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Though I am not in this phase and am decorated, I still feel like my house is a disaster! No worries.

Graham at Chadwell Chronicles December 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Yep. We moved in at the beginning of June and we're about to move all of our bedroom furniture into the living rooms so we can repaint, recarpet, do... everything to the rooms. We did put a tree up, though. There's even a video of it on our blog. :)

priscilla December 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM

oh my gosh, yes! we just moved in and while we have a tree up and stockings hung, the place is still a renovation mess. i'm trying to not be too depressed about it.

LizzieBeth December 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM

We aren't renovating, but it's our first Christmas in our first apartment. Suddenly there is all this new furniture and I have no clue how to decorate it! haha

Alexis L. of One Grand Home December 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I'll be honest and say that I am serially disappointed with the outcome of my holiday decorating. No matter what I imagine, no matter how hard I try, I never quite meet my own expectations.

Ah, the joy of the holidays.

chacha December 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Dude, we moved in April of 2007 into house #3 and we *still* aren't 100% unpacked. I have a couple opened but unpacked boxes with decor items in one of the spare bedrooms.

Ever since I stopped renting I have been in this situation, remodeling, and no time to fully settle in. Until it's time to move again and you have to make your house look good.

Dani December 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Yup yup! We are having a "teensy" Christmas party on Friday, and our tiny widdle tree isn't even decorated - and the mini blinds aren't up...and we have a shower curtain and SHEET covering up our front window!!! I hear ya.

The Sale Rack December 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

my mom has been renovating for two years and has had no tree, so kudos to you for having up your tree!

Angela December 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I feel your pain - but you got your tree up and that's something to be proud of!

Amanda December 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Haha - love that equation! Just be sure to try and take some time to relax and enjoy the holiday! :)

micah @ the yellow front door December 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM

You've got quite a lot going on right now! Don't worry, it takes awhile to settle into a new house. At least you have a tree up, right?

thisgirlandthatguy December 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM

YES! We threw the tree up in an hour with about half the ornaments because I couldn't be bothered to unpack another thing. I haven't blogged in a month because we're just now getting internet - it's driving me CRAZY!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic December 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Mine is in the process of moving in and one of the things he did was rent a storage unit. It was a fraction of what his rent was and I get to use it, too. I think I won out pretty well in this deal. :)

ashley morgan December 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Yes, completely. Our living room and dining room are complete though, so decorating there has been ok. But things have definitely not gone as smoothly as previous years. Your tree looks beautiful!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno December 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Totally feel your pain! There are way too many rooms in my house that just have junk crammed in them. Don't even give it a second thought, we bloggers love to see stuff everywhere, it makes us feel SO much better about our own mess! ha

Danielle and Clint December 15, 2009 at 6:43 AM

We just moved my best friend into her new home and she is going through the emotions of it all also. I had to help her paint for 2 weeks just so she got one project done. lol...But on a better note, congrats for all the new fun things happening in your life!

Sarah December 15, 2009 at 7:47 AM

We just moved into our home in November... we definately weren't ready for Thanksgiving, but we've managed to get a good bit unpacked and decorated by Christmas... not near as much as we normally do, just strung some outside lights, put the wreath on the door, put up the tree & hung stockings, and set a few other decorations around... hubby normally goes all out outdoors, and he also normally puts out his big village inside, but he didn't do any of that this year...

Christina December 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM

You are doing better than we are! (And I appreciated everyone's comments above.)
We just got married in September...so after moving my husband into my (now OUR) condo and finding a place for all our nice wedding presents and his stuff...there is no energy left for Christmas decorating!

We are enjoying going to the holiday parties and seeing everyone else's Christmas decor...we'll get into it next year!

Ursula Graham December 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Haha I love your unorganized mess! It makes me feel right at home! I'm so stuck in renovation there's really no room for a tree this year. I'll make a little corner for gifts and add some sparkle soon though, but that's about it. :)

donkee December 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM

It's been two years since we moved in after our renovation. We are still knee deep in decorating and figuring out what works best for us...ever evolving process...:)