Pipe Problem

>> 12.09.2009

Today's the day... the kitchen countertops are scheduled to be in! You helped me make the decision to go with new countertops as my next big project and then gave me guidance when I needed to make a decision about keeping a bar step-up (the decision was no). I thought everything was decided and this would be an exciting day full of shiny, new counters!

Well, that was until I found a pipe under the bar that will prevent it from coming down :(. It would be nice to move the pipe around and go with the original step-free plan, but I'm just not willing to shell out the dough to make that happen. I'm hoping that the countertop company can work with me in changing the plans so that the place can return to a usable state as quickly as possible!

While the countertops saga is still "to be continued," let's look at the positives...

Like how I saved $300 by doing the countertop demo myself...

...and how that ugly overmount sink is out, never to return!

Also, I do have an amazing boyfriend that saved me a hefty plumber's fee by removing the sink :).

So, there are some positives! Let's just hope that having to keep the step-up turns out to be one of them...

Have you ever come across any structural surprises while doing demo on a project?

Amanda December 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Um, YES. When the plumbers installed the new tub in my teensy bathroom, it was wider than the previous one- so the pedestal sink was hanging over it! So they moved it to the right, which crowded the toilet, so they moved that to the right too. Only that made it so the door wouldn't close! What a nightmare. Fortunately they came back again and were able to find a "sweet spot" that wasn't too close to the sink and still allowed the door to close. Oh- and not to mention, when they did all the work on the tub they discovered hairline cracks in the big old cast-iron pipe and had to replace it. So needless to say, it was MUCH more of a hassle than originally anticipated, and more expensive. But it's so worth it now (I'm almost completely finished with the bathroom and I just need to decorate before my big unveil on my blog!) You'll still love the step-up- maybe while it's open you can run some electrical through it so you can have some extra outlets? Just a thought. Can't wait to see it!

Kristi W. December 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I haven't had any problems like this (thank goodness). Way to look at the positives! Also I gave a shout out to your blog on mine. Hope you get a couple new readers. :)

Meg December 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Oh no! Where there's a will, there's a way. Things will somehow come together. And you really were smart to save by going the DIY route. Hats off to your boyfriend for helping too!

chacha December 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM

If you don't care much about the step up, then, ok. But your counters are sort of permament - meaning you can't change your mind later very easily.

I would guess to move a pipe lower (don't need to be that much lower) would be 100-200 bucks (given you demo the drywall on the back on your own so it's easy access for a plumber). Not ideal, but, if you really want it removed, you might just want to bite the bullet now b/c you really can't later.

Danielle and Clint December 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM

O no!!! How horrible is that?!?! But as a contractor once said to me, anything is do-able.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic December 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Oh no! Not fair!

I have to admit that I'm afraid of the same thing with my "step up". I want to get rid of it because it's unusually high and I know there's electrical stuff that needs to be moved if that's going to happen. I'm scared to do anything!

I'm sorry about the pipe. :(

Sara @ Russet Street Reno December 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Ugh, bummer. I haven't run into this problem yet - but we haven't done much demo per se. I can't wait until you get those counter pics up!

Virginia December 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Oh wow what a pain about that pipe! Glad you are looking at the positives though. I will be great once it is done =)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I do wish that I had run into that problem a little earlier so that I could weigh my options, but the installers were scheduled to come in the next day!

@Amanda- Doing electrical when the walls are knocked out is always a great positive- that's why I installed two lights after knocking down the upper cabinets. I don't think that I'll need to add any more plugs because I already have one for each workspace in my small kitchen (one of the good design moves that were made when it was built).

Alexis L. of One Grand Home December 13, 2009 at 3:52 AM

I'm too much of a scaredycat to demo myself.

[hangs head]