A Sentimental DIY Ornament

>> 12.08.2009

This past weekend, I headed over to a friend’s home to help him set up his family tree. This was the third year that I’ve helped out with this task and the third year that I’ve gone home only to glare at my silver IKEA snowflake and ball ornaments. While my tree had that immaculate coordination factor, its décor was no match for the wealth of memories that his family had accumulated over the years- each ornament seemed to come with a story!

After a little wallowing, I realized that I did have years of sentimental ornaments stockpiled- just not quite ready to be hung. My awards and finishers medals from races would be the perfect addition to the tree!

I simply replaced the ribbons (by removing the attached ring) with a little Christmas wrapping ribbon (that I might upgrade later).

...and the "new" ornaments were ready to be hung!

For a total of $0.00, I was able to add that “priceless” element to my tree. I’m going to keep my eyes open for other object that might be able to ribbon-up and find their way on the tree… Key to my first home? Shell from a beach trip? Ticket stub from a favorite concert?

Do you have any unexpected objects hanging on your tree? What’s your most sentimental ornament?

Amanda December 8, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Love it. I've been wondering what to do with my medals (okay so I only have two hahaha but I hope to get more soon!) and this is a great idea! And someday you can show your kids and be like "Isn't mama the bees' knees?? Yeah, I won those."

As for me, I don't even have a tree and I kinda doubt I'll get one. I know it's sad. Maybe I'll just put some lights on that hideous shrub in front of my house and call it good.

janice December 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM

CUTE! THANKS FOR SHARING.

JANICE

LizzieBeth December 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

This is so sweet. JEGS and I have a crapton of shells from the weekend we got engaged. They have been sitting in his car because I don't know where to put them.

We just bought our first christmas tree last night. I can't wait to surprise him with the shells.

Thanks girl!!

The Brick Cottage December 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

What a great idea! You're medals look great on the tree. Now if only I was a competitor and had some medals, but alas...

I do have some shells though and may have to give this a try!

TexNan December 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Great idea! I'm one who has tons of ornies with memories but there's always room for more. Now I just have to think of what I can string on a ribbon.

TexNan December 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM

BTW, howdy neighbor! I see you're in Austin; well, I'm in the Hill country, Lake LBJ territory. I love to see homish blogs.

Dani December 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I'm totally going to hang up a spare key to our house tonight! :)

Centsational Girl December 8, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I honestly gasped when I saw your idea. I've got a couple of those medals myself sitting in boxes and what an absolutely brilliant idea this is. I must get them out and display them with pride. You've totally inspired me today.

Thanks so much for linking !

ARe you in Austin too? You should hop over to visit Living with Lindsay - she's in TX with you and so are my cousins. I'll be visiting them in the spring !

Kate

chacha December 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Such a good idea! I have quite a few sitting in a box that I could throw up onto the tree. Though, the last age group placement thingy I got was a mug so can't hang that - though I use it frequently and remember how I never want to run a 10K at 6000 feet ever again.

Dayka December 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I have the key to my first home (somewhere), but I've always wanted to have it framed along with a rendering of this house, so I can always remember it when I move on (this is WAY off subject).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Kate- Yep, I'm here in the ATX and loving it! Happy to have inspired you :).

Chacha- I got a mug once too... I use it to scoop my dog's food. At least I see it everyday!

micah @ the yellow front door December 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Great idea! Our ornaments are pretty non-sentimental but I'm OK with it :)

micah @ the yellow front door December 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
WhimsAndInconsistencies December 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I have lots of sentimental ornaments. My grandma has a friend who hand makes ornaments and we get one every year, so those are special. When I got married mom passed on some of the ornaments from our tree. And last year she got me a new version of one of my favorite ornaments from childhood -- a Hallmark ornament with a mouse sleeping in a Crayola box. My sister and I would fight over who got to put it on the tree. I think that one might be my favorite.
Oh! And "Our First Christmas Together" ornament!

katiejennings128 December 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

That's a great idea!! Awesome idea for medals, and it really does make your tree totally personal! Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn May 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM

This is so sweet. Such a good idea! You've totally inspired me today.

led holiday lights