And the search is officially ON!

>> 1.28.2010

Well, the search for an awesome set of NEW KITCHEN APPLIANCES (for cheap) will be on once I get a bit of your advice.

Remember, we hate this...

But I was struggling with the idea of getting a new refrigerator after spending on my bathroom and countertops... and having to save money up for grad school.... that was until my company offered to pay for my tuition and books! So, with an emergency fund already in place, money automatically going into a retirement account, and no other big looming debts to pay in the future, I can easily afford to buy new appliances. Yes, a self-cleaning oven is on the list as well!

So with kitchen plans that look a little like this:

I'm thinking: white uppers and black lowers (and white subway backsplash)

Do you think I should go with....

or

or

Black, stainless, or white? I'm planning on moving in about five years so resale is important to me. I think a kichen with a black and white theme might look good with any of the above and going with black or white might make it easier to find a great deal on a scratch and dent or Craigslist option.

oneluckycouple January 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

My vote is for the stainless steel refrigerator. I love how classic they look in a kitchen of any color. So exciting to get a new frig! :)

McLaura January 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Very exciting! If you're thinking about the resale value, stainless is probably the way to go, but I think that black would look fantastic as well. I hated the kitchen in my old apartment, so I looked into ways to spruce up my appliances as well, and I found you can get stainless steel peel and stick films, which look pretty good in the pictures. Good luck!

Katie January 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM

if resale is important i think you should go with stainless - good luck with the appliance shopping!

Christina January 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Congrats on getting tuition benefits through your work! I do that and it saves me $1200 plus each semester.
Being a full-time worker and part-time student is a super challenge at times, but you can do it.

I'd talk with any real estate or designer friends you have, to what will get you the most resale value and design appeal for your buck.

Heather January 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM

If you are planning on resale, I would deff go stainless. We got all of our stainless steel appliances off Craigslist. We ended up with all newer top of the lie appliances (Samsung 4 door Stainless Steel Fridge, Fisher and Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher, etc) and paid about $1500 for everything (fridge, range, dishwasher and wine chiller)

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life January 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I don't think you can can go wrong with any of these options but I think the Stainless steal has better re-sell value (people LOVE stainless steal when they are buying a new place...) Just something to think about!

Mel January 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM

My vote is for Stainless Steel!

Meg January 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Stainless. It's sleek, it's classic and will definitely give you the best return. I am so excited for your hunting! I'm on the hunt as well and look forward to your tips.

Jamie Lee January 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Go with Stainless. It has a better resale value and won't look as dirty as quickly as the others.

maura January 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM

How many times have you heard some one say WoW what a great whitefridge or WoW what a great black fridge? Go for the stainless It will sell like hotcakes.

carrie January 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Stainless for resale. Not that you need ANOTHER comment saying that. ;)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Wow, I thought I get at least a few black or white supporters out there...

queenbee January 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I agree that stainless is the way to go. In my opinion its the most versitle. Dont forget to sell your old appliances on craigslist to recoop some of your cash.

micah @ the yellow front door January 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM

My first choice would be stainless, my second choice would be white. Really don't think you can go wrong though with a black & white kitchen!

Mrs. Chic January 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I'd go with stainless steal...nice balance against your white uppers and black bottom cabinets.

Tran January 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM

SS or black! I think white gets dingy and yellows over time.

Babs January 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Stainless! Great resale value for the home and nice balance to the white and black. I can't wait to see it when you get it finished!

Strapless Living January 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I'm going to have to break ranks and vote for the black. For the following reasons: I think it'll be easier to get a good deal one on, stainless steel appliances are a dime a dozen nowadays (so I think you'd still do well in resell with all matching appliances, plus who knows what the next trend will be!), and finally, I have stainless steel appliances and they are a pain to keep clean. I don't know if anyone else has this issue but I am constantly wiping smudgy fingerprints off my fridge.

Aimee January 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I like the black! I think it's sleek, and it will be easier to keep clean too. Plus, stainless will one day be the "avocado green" of the 70s. :)

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman January 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I'd go with the black ones. I think it's classic and sleek. Stainless is super trendy but I've heard that it shows fingerprints and is hard to keep clean. Plus it very well could look seriously outdated some day. I vote for black.

Amanda January 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I am struggling with the same dilemma. I'm doing a complete kitchen renovation in March and I have to buy all new appliances as well. I don't live in the best neighborhood so I don't want to "put perfume on a pig". However, it does seem true that the second a buyer sees stainless they're like " ooh honey look STAINLESS!!!!" So... I probably would go that route, but do Craigslist. My second choice would be to get whatever color your other appliances are.

Katy @ A Starter House January 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM

It all depends on where you live - if I bought stainless steel for our neighborhood (which we are planning on replacing the appliances when they bite the dust...they are 14 years old, yikes!) I would have to realize that I would probably only get some of the value back. People that move to my neighborhood are typically just starting off and don't care about finishes, but rather functionality. It would definitely sell my house faster, I just might not get even half of that back. So long story short, whoever mentioned talking to a realtor is spot on - they will be able to tell you what is the best decision for your house in your area. (I'm a sucker for stainless and have been looking at some at Ikea...I just need to research the quality of their appliances more!) Good luck with your search :)

WhimsAndInconsistencies January 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Stainless steel! I loves it! Yay for getting new appliances and having someone else pay for school! :D

Lauren January 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM

stainless or black.. I hate our white fridge..

Diane @ InMyOwnStyle January 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I noticed that most comments said to go with the stainless. That would be my second choice. Stainless seems classic now, but give or take 5-7 years it is going to look dated. Black is too trendy- people either hate it or love it. For re-sale its a 50/50 gamble. White is classic, especially if you go with white upper cabinets that are in your inspiration photo. When you sell, it will look neutral and that is what home buyers are looking for - they could move their stuff in and it would coordinate.
Hope this helps
Diane

Cece @ Craftysmurfette January 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I think it's a toss up. We chose white b/c it matched our other appliances and was a "fit" for our neighborhood...however for resale currently Stainless is in. I just wonder for how long? Do you have an appliance outlet store near you? We picked up our fridge at a Sears Scratch n Dent store at a great price, and since our fridge is encased in a cabinet the small dent on the side isn't an issue at all!

Heather January 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I would for sure go with either black or stainless. As a potential buyer it makes the kitchen seem a lot more expensive without having to add that much more in expense for you. White is so hard to keep looking clean, and you can get stainless now that don't leave all the fingerprints! Good luck and keep us posted with your money saving tips on these large ticket items!

Jenny January 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Stainless. The white one might look not so white and crisp anymore after a while, and with the black one you'll have this huge dark thing in the kitchen. I think stainless would look great!

More Style Than Cash January 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Stainless....but, ask the sales people what the new trends are. I heard that some manufacturers will stop making black appliances altogether so that in a few years they really will look dated. You could also check what the European style magazines are showing, we are usually a few years behind them.

LizzieBeth January 28, 2010 at 7:36 PM

you can never go wrong with stainless!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty January 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I leaning towards stainless for all the reasons that everyone else mentioned. Also if you ever decide to switch up cabinet colors they go with everything.

The Brick Cottage January 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Wow, you certainly hit on a hot topic! Personally, I don't like black appliances and lean more toward stainless or white. I think with your black granite counter tops that stainless would look pretty sleek and contemperary. Although I would probably go for faux stainless just because keeping stainless clean would drive me crazy! I don't think stainless will be a dying trend and that it's on its way of becoming a classic.

jacquelin Seybert January 29, 2010 at 10:03 AM

We have the stainless and absolutely love it [it wipes down easily too for those darn fingerprints]. The freezer on the bottom is a MUST!

SeeJaneGetRich.com January 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Stainless Steel because it sooo sexu! :-)

sara,  January 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I'll tell you what: if you can get a stove cheaper because it doesn't have self-cleaning, I'd go that route. Everyone (including me) wants a self cleaning oven until they get one. I've only used mine once, almost burned the house down, just about suffocated from the noxious fumes and finally had to leave the premises for 3 hours while I had to open all the windows in the kitchen during the middle of the winter.
For sure go on some message boards and see what other people have to say yea or nay about them.

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue January 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM

my mother in law has the black one and its harder to keep the smudges away than the stainless. I vote for stainless.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home January 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Can I please convince you to buy a ridiculously expensive and terribly cute Smeg?

For resale, the smart money is probably on stainless. I agree with More Cash Than Style that your best bet is to check out what the Europeans are doing since we are so hopelessly behind.

Amanda February 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I think stainless would be a nice complement to the black & white look, but maybe I'm biased because that's what we have. We had to buy ALL our appliances when we moved into our house, and I remember how much research we did before we finally made a decision! Ugh. We got all ours at Sears because they were having a big sale on Kenmore appliances at the time. So far, we're pretty happy with everything. Good luck!

Chilling Steve March 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Did you ever make a final choice? What type of fridge did you end up with?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 25, 2011 at 8:06 AM

@Chilling Steve~ I ended up with a Samsung stainless-look bottom mount. Read about it here: http://www.thriftylittleblog.com/2010/04/theyre-new-and-theyre-fabulous.html