Because I’m Sooo Not Perfect

>> 1.05.2010

I think that you get that I’m not perfect by now, right? I mean, I showed you my impression of holiday decorating and more than one of my DIY mishaps. Plus, unlike some decorating goddesses’ homes (um, have you checked out Sara’s bedroom?), I’m nowhere near whatever ‘finished’ is. BUT when it comes to saving money, I’d like to say I have some skills…. but really, I’m not perfect!

Take last night for example: I went over to my neighborhood thrift store to drop off a few boxes of donations. For my troubles, I received a coupon good for an in-store purchase.

Which led to a little shopping

...and a few purchases.

Like this pantry organizer that I was just out shopping for this weekend: I saved a good $10 by finding it used. Plus, like a real thrifty purchase, I was able to put it into use right away (can you tell that pantry organization is on the to-do list?).

Oh, but there was also the large bamboo bowl.

It was so pretty and scratch free...

And the tag said that it had just come in that day. What if someone else bought it?

So I did.

I tried to tell myself that I got a great deal because the $6 I spent on both the bowl and pantry organizer was less than a full-priced organizer I had planned to buy at the Container Store, but deep down I knew that I really didn’t need to spend the extra cash on that bowl. I also knew that Nate wouldn’t think I needed the extra bowl… and that’s when I hid it in the giant mess we call the garage.

Can you find it in there?

That’s right, I actually HID something that I bought! Waking up this morning and thinking about it, I couldn’t believe that I crossed the line from being able to explain my purchases to needing to conceal them all together. Don’t get me wrong, I still believe that I got a great deal on something that I plan on using (hello, I’m hosting ten parties in 2010), but it’s the boyfriend that I can’t explain it to… and really, it isn’t so thrifty to hide things in your garage.

Have you ever gotten to the point where you’ve hidden a purchase?

Kerry @ First Time Fancy January 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I haven't "hid" something exactly... unless you count not showing off a new clothing purchase and putting it in your closet right away and not saying anything the first time you wear it so your boyfriend can't comment that you didn't need another top/shirt/skirt/pants, etc. :)

Most household purchases I show right away, even if I think he'll think we don't need it... I can't say I haven't thought about it though haha

Amanda January 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

OH MY GOSH! That is so funny because the bf was helping me organize just a week ago, and he found some cheesy little butterflies that I'd bought at the thrift store and was planning to paint. Right when he picked them up I thought "Dammit I meant to hide those!" Needless to say, he rolled his eyes and I wished I HAD hidden them.

Kate @ Twenty-Six 2 Life January 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM

tsk tsk Kasey!

I can't actually say that I've hidden any purchases from my husband but I've definitely over-emphasized the 'necessity' of certain items in the past(I NEEDED those $85 pants!).

Amy@TheLemonCottage January 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I am laughing so hard right now! I get really 'mission impossible' when I bring home garage sale finds... he doesn't have a clue! :)
~Amy

Jaimie January 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Oh I totally get you. Sometimes guys just don't understand that we really really really really want that damn bowl!!!

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman January 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

That bowl is awesome! I would have bought it too. It's funny that you are hiding it, but won't your boyfriend see it on the blog? I've never had to hide anything from Rob, luckily. We have "fun money" accounts where we basically each get a monthly allowance. We have an agreement that we can spend our fun money on whatever we want, regardless of what the other person thinks. So no need to hide the crap I buy. :) It's usually stupid stuff like makeup or hair products. But I'm getting better about that stuff.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM

@Kristi~ Nate is just sick of all of my decorating stuff. He says I have too much. Can you tell we're having merging issues?

Nate doesn't really read my blog very often... unless he's in it (those are his favorite posts).

Sara @ Russet Street Reno January 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Kasey, you are too sweet! And YES, I hide things from Shaun all the time! In fact, there is a bag from Old Navy still in my trunk from a shopping trip last week, because I keep forgetting to take it out while he's at work! haha

I need to stop that crap.

xoxo, C January 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Wait, we aren't supposed to hide things?! :)
Most recently I've been hiding the crazy on sale Christmas stuff I've bought in the trunk of my car. If he only knew, I would be in a world of hurt.

Rebekah @ Shell Blog January 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

i'm LOL'ing at this post!!! i've never hidden housewares, but i've DEFINITELY hidden shoes and clothes. it feels icky, but sometimes what he doesn't know won't hurt him!!! ;)

Audreya January 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I'm also laughing along with most of the other ladies. I can't think of any specific examples of hiding items from David (though I probably have), but I am totally guilty of "over-emphasizing". I'm also guilty of answering "How much did this cost?" with "Um, 20-something". What? $29.99 is 20-something. :-) You caught me - I'm NOT the thrifty one in our house. I read your blog for inspiration!

Carly Skinner January 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I'm laughing out loud at this post as well. I can't say I've ever hid anything, Cody (my husband) is the one who works full time while I only work a small part time job since I'm still in school, so I think I'd feel super guilty...but I've definitely over-exaggerated my "need" for things and most of the time, just like you, I definitely regret it later lol.

Amanda January 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Um, YES! Usually I just conveniently forget to tell him and let him find out on his own eventually. I mostly do it with clothes, but occasionally home decor stuff too. I try to remind myself though, this house would be so empty and barren if it weren't for me and my shopping! :)

DescribeHappy January 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

No.. don't hide the bowl. Can't you just fill it with something and strategically place it somewhere? Think ... knitting things and put on the coffee table?

Floreta January 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

ha! that's funny. spending money in a cohabiting/partnership situation is wayy different than doing it single. definitely makes you more aware imo.

Strapless Living January 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hm...I don't think I've outright "hidden" anything but I've definitely exaggerated a sale price and used the "oh I've had this forever," line, haha. But this year all the holiday consumption totally overwhelmed me and the idea of adding anything to my house makes me nauseous, so I think I'll be on a medically required shopping hiatus for a while!

change is a good thing January 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM

OMG!! That is hysterial! And it really is a lovely bowl that I'm sure you will find a ton of uses for. I think you scored a serious bargain on that one. I would have bought it too.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home January 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM

You are pretty perfect Kasey but it's nice to see you 'fess up. Amazingly, yes, I have hidden expensive items a couple of times since the Mr. and I started living together. A really bad habit that I should really nip in the bud.

SeeJaneGetRich January 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I love that bamboo bowl! I've a similar goal to your ten parties in 2010 resolution. Mine aren't going to be parties but they will be simple parties with friends and let me tell you I don't have a nice big salad bowl like the one in the picture and may end up serving salad in a big plastic container!