Save More; Give More

>> 1.15.2010

My daily routine is full of thrifty choices and money saving tricks. I save so that I can add luxurious elements into my home and stock my closet with a variety of clothing options… so when exceptional circumstances arise, I know there are places that I can find money to use towards expenses outside of my normal budget.

Currently, people of this world are in desperate situations and organizations are anxious to take action with the help of your funding. Could you change your plans to a $10 weekend or $20 party and set aside the difference for the needs of others?

With that said, I’d like to share the post that I had planned for today:

I've never force-fed you before. Think about it… in the 150ish posts that I’ve written for this blog, I’ve never once done a recipe post. Sharing one must mean that there’s a reason for it, right? Right!

I’m sure you remember this soup. You know, the one I served in the Ten Party Project football party? It’s a triple threat kind of a dish: cheap, easy, and delicious. Oh, and you only need one pot!

The ingredients:
Package of Taco Seasoning
Ground Beef (I use the vegetarian version)
Cans of:
1-Black Beans
1-Green Beans
1-Pinto Beans
2-Corn (I like 1.5 cans in mine)
1-Diced Tomatoes

The steps:
1. Brown the meat in the empty pot. (Do the same thing if you’re using fake ground beef.)

2. Open up all of the canned veggies and dump them into the pot (liquid and all). Turn the heat to a level where it’s warm, but not boiling.

3. Add the taco seasoning. This is the only place that you can potentially go wrong. Start with a tablespoon and let that sit, then add more if the soup needs it. I doubt you’ll end up needing more than have of the package.

4. If the soup is warm and the flavors taste good, you’re finished! Add some tortilla chips or cheese to the top for that extra yum-factor.

This soup costs a whopping $6 (go here for a full budget breakdown) and serves six adults. With all of the veggies, it’s actually a great low calorie, healthy meal. Enjoy!

Do you have any quick and thrifty recipes that I need to add to my arsenal? Please share!

I'm linking this post up with Penny Pinching Party over at The Thrifty Home. Go, share, and get inspired!

Jennifer January 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Looks easy and delicious! I might try this tonight!

Danielle and Clint January 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I do have a cheap and easy recipe. We call it pizza pasta. You take noodles (boil first), pizza sause, shredded cheese, any toppings you like on your pizza (we like mushrooms and black olives), put it all in a casserole dish, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. So easy and quick!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" January 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I was hoping you would post this yummy recipe; I can't wait to try it out! One of my favorite recipes to make is broccoli and cheese soup w/ corn bread. I am very leant with the cheese and use about a quarter of the amount suggested and save the remaining cheese for the next time. Perfect for those cold weather days!

Strapless Living January 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I actually make a really similar version of this (but have never tried adding veggie ground beef, great idea!) but I make corn bread to go with it. Take a slice of the cornbread, put it in a bowl, top with a little shredded cheese and then add the soup. It's so comforting and good during the winter. Plus boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix are only like fifty cents!

oneluckycouple January 15, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Hey Kasey! I LOVE to cook, and I've posted a good number of recipes on my blog. Most are fairly inexpensive to make. I've learned that if I keep staples on hand (like canned diced tomatoes, pasta, rice, onions, garlic, olive oil, chicken broth, black beans, chicken, seafood, etc.), it's easy to whip up so many recipes. Or, if you don't have an item, you can easily replace it with something you have or prefer. Here's where I link all the recipes I post. More are coming! http://oneluckycouple.wordpress.com/recipes

Kate January 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I have to admit that one thing that really excites me about this recipe is that you only need one pot ... I really hate dishes so the one pot thing is super. I might have to try this one out on The Hubs!

Amanda January 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Yum, thanks for sharing! I am always on the lookout for cheap and easy recipes!

Abbey @ Practically Perfect January 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I do something very similar in the crock pot. I put everything in (I add corn and several other types of beans--usually whatever I have on hand and a can of chicken broth) and let is cook on low all day. I sometimes use ground beef but I usually put in some chicken (3-4 breasts) and then shred it once it's cooked. We just LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!

LizzieBeth January 17, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Om nom nom.. that looks good.
I am jotting this one down!

DescribeHappy January 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

That sounds really yummy!! I need to try this!

Jen January 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I love simple meals like this. I must admit that I had dismissed your recipe when I first read "hamburger" but then you got me back with the vegetarian substitute which I have used before. I also love what you said about going with a little less and donating the money. Once a month we don't eat 2 meals and donate the money that we would have spent.

G January 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I made this recipe last night at about 10:00pm b/c I was starving and in the mood for it. Took me about 7 minutes b/c I slammed my fingers in the door earlier and had to deal with that (hence the late start to dinner). Anyway, the hardest part was opening the cans that weren't pop tops one-handed. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM

@G~ I'm so glad to hear you liked it! There's only one recipe on my entire site so I hoped it would be a good one :).

G January 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I did - I absolutely loved it AND it could not have been simpler. I have been eating the leftovers for lunch at work and it seems to get even better with time!!