A shout-out to the new circular saw...

>> 1.20.2010

I never created one of those "what we got for Christmas posts" so here's a little post dedicated to one of my favorite presents the gifts I gave to Nate.  I can't remember what cost what, but it was about $100 for the circular saw and hand sander~ definitely a great price for such handy tools! Having the saw has already saved us time in cutting down demoed pieces of wood, helped Nate create supports for the bed, and (as of last weekend) an amazing custom tv shelf (seriously, I'm in love).

As you might remember, part of the master bedroom's closet needed to go when it was time for the big shower to tub switch during the bathroom reno. I bought a used IKEA PAX wardrobe to put along one wall as a closet solution so the 3-foot closet remaining in the room was of little use to us. Rather than having an unneeded closet space, I decided the nook would be a great spot for the tv and other storage. That's when the idea to build shelves into the space came up and the new circular saw came into play...

We started out with a small, mostly useless closet:

After a little measuring, stud finding, leveling, and cutting... the supports were in:

Hmm, can you tell that these last two pictures were taken several hours later? Sorry about the quality!

A couple of perfectly cut pieces of wood later and we had a new built-in to hold the tv!

I love how the tv is at the perfect bed-watching angle!

It was easy as 1-2-3! Okay, so beginner's issues arose and this one shelf ended up taking half of a Saturday, but believe me when I say that the shelf is solidly built! We plan on adding even more functionality to the space by adding a couple more shelves for things like linens (oh, and making the space pretty... I promise it will be pretty!).  Stay tuned!

I don't know about you, but I'm seeing diy building projects all over blogland! For months, I've enjoyed seeing Benita add pieces to her home and this couple always seems to have some project to share... then, of course, there's also the blog that everyone is buzzing about. I might be a little biased but I think creating closet built-ins is one of the best projects out there~ easy, cheap, and so space savvy! Just check out the added storage created here and here.

Have you been busy doing any building in your own home? I'd love to see what you've been working on!

I'm linking up to Remodelaholics Anonymous Meeting over at Remodelaholic. I know that you all have great projects to share, so head over and link up!

Graham at Chadwell Chronicles January 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Excellent! We are planning to rearrange all of our closets in the next week or so just like this!

Are you going to paint it or did you just get nice-looking wood? Can't tell from the photos. :)

Audreya January 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM

As a matter of fact, I just posted about my kitchen project! A lot of my friends seem to be doing projects right now. I think it's because of the season - we've all been spending more time in the house now so that just gives us more time to think "I should really do..."

The shelf looks great, even if it took longer than expected. Great way to make use of the leftover space.

Anny January 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Huzzah for the gift that keeps on giving! I rent and will probably move this summer so no new projects :(

Danielle and Clint January 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Boy, that picture says it all! He has the tape measure clipped to his side and he looks exhausted. lol. Great idea and awesome gift!

Heather @ McKinney Living January 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Fabulous gifts and FABULOUS closet makeover!! Can't wait to see the final-final product!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

@Graham~ Nate did buy some good wood for that shelf (we wanted something super sturdy for the tv), but the other shelves will be cheapo so they'll all be painted.

Mrs. Chic January 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I love power tools, great idea for a tv stand built in! We buying a Miter Saw over the weekend to kickstart laying our new flooring and hopefully Crown moudling in the future.

Amanda January 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Very nice! I love how one gift can really cover two people. :-)

Meg January 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Too funny! Lee actually got 2 circular saws for Christmas and had to return 1, and I thought it was such a nice present. It really is a spectacular gift and I absolutely love where you put your TV. I'm going to show Lee this post because he thinks putting a TV on my cute new red filing cabinet is "decorating it."

I liked the idea of putting the TV in a closet (though I was not creative at all and was thinking a small entertainment center in there) and you just took it a step farther and proved how fabulous it is. Bravo!

Amy@TheLemonCottage January 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Awesome!
I love DIY projects.
~Amy

Elisa @ whatthevita January 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Looks great! We want to do a similar thing - a tv in a closet - in our exercise room. We're also planning on building a bookshelf corner in our office closet.. but we're probably just gonna hack some Billy shelves and put them in there...

Diane @ InMyOwnStyle January 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Love your saw, so shiny and new. Many many years ago I bought a table saw for a song when a local hardware store was going out of buisness. It is the best thing I ever bought. I wouldn't have been able to to all the projects around my house by myself without it.
Diane

Amanda January 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM

What a great idea to tuck your TV away in that closet! Circular saws definitely come in handy. We don't have any projects going on at the moment, but I do have several shelf projects in mind that will hopefully get done soon!

Jacquelin Seybert January 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM

My husband just got this saw... it also came with a drill on sale at The Home Depot. We LOVE it! If I knew how much we could do with it I would have bought it a LONG time ago.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

No building yet, but there is some planned! That closet shelf is lookin perfect, I can't wait to see it all 'prettied up'

carrie January 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I whipped out the circular saw just last week to cut out a quick shelf. I love my power tools. And they are MY power tools. The boy gets the electronics & media, I get the power tools. It works for us.

Katy @ A Starter House January 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

have you been happy with the Ryobi? My husband and I are thinking about buying one soon....we've been borrowing tools a lot lately, and it would just be easier to own one at this point. Thanks for your input!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

@Katy~ Yes, it works really well for what we're using it for (non commercial projects). It's a lesser known brand, but actually better made than some of the big guys. Oh, and don't bother with the laser light upgrade, it's the same thing as drawing pencil marks on the wood.

Remodelaholic January 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Kasey, I just have to warn you that buying power tools is VERY addicting! Every single one makes life and projects easier, and in return your house just gets more lovely, and you get more ideas... Ah, I love you power tools, forget Valentine's candy!

Anyway, thanks so much for joining that party, and asking others to join in as well! Job well done and I can't wait to see the rest of the shelves.

... oh and just thinking you could really easily make doors for the bottom half of the soon to be linen shelves, like the ones from the book shelf project on Tuesday, but you probably have your own plans!

Anyway, thanks again!

power tools saw February 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM

ryobi are ok kasey but you should think about dewalt too - their products really do last a very long time and parts are much easier to come by!