26.2

>> 2.12.2010

This Sunday is a big day for me... big enough so that the thoughts of romantic dinners and  heart shaped boxes of chocolates have been put to the back of my mind. Sunday is a new holiday in my house. It's Marathon Day. For the first time, I'll attempt to run 26.2 consecutive miles with the hopes of earning a shiny new finisher's medal and the title of marathoner.

As you know, I'm careful with my cash... so why would I shell out $125 for this race?

1. A little Valentine's theme: Nate (jokingly) said that I had to run it in honor of our love... there might be a little V-day tension at home if I decide to quit early ;).

2. I'll have someone waiting for me at the end... Did I mention that Nate would be running as well?

3. People will be watching. Spectators, friends, and family will all have their eyes on me. How lame would it be if I just sat down?

4. I've trained for this. The long runs and sore muscles were preparing me for this. My body is ready.

5. It's going to be fun. A friend of mine said, "the training was the hard part, but this is the celebration!" I think it's a great mindset to have going into Sunday with.

6. So I can cross it off of the list. I don't know if I'll be the grandma that runs marathons, but at least I'll be the one who tells stories about them.

7. To impress myself. For some reason I have always looked up to runners, but running was always for someone else... someone fit, someone athletic, someone with good hair (strange stereotype, I know) and a toned stomach. I don't think I have ever been as proud of myself as I was the day I ran 5 miles without stopping. Now, 35 pounds and seven years later, I'm realizing that I am the person that I was so impressed with before and I'm going to run 26.2 without stopping.

8. To win. Okay, I'll admit it... there are a couple of people I'm racing. We're not technically going head-to-head or anything, but I reeeally want to beat them (and no, they don't know that I'm "racing" against them...).

9. For the cheers. Hey, I like attention. Thankfully, I get to wear "Kasey!" across my shirt.

10. Guilt-free face stuffing! AKA: I'm going to eat A LOT of food afterwards.

11. So that I can collect a few more good stories. Monumental, funny, or frustrating... there's always something worth retelling.

12. To raise awareness. Our marathon actually partners with 26 different local charities.

13. For the well-deserved break. I'm excited to start devoting more time to the house and less to long weekend runs.

14. For the street cred.

15. For the community. There should be a lot of energy in the group of 14,000!

16. Did I mention the face stuffing? Food NEVER  tastes as good as it does after a hard, long run!

17. For the bumper sticker.

18. The finisher's shirt. I'm not usually one to get excited about a race shirt, but this one will say, "marathon" on it!

19. To not embarrass myself in front of you guys! I can't come back Monday having not finished.

20. It saved me on gym fees. With all of the running on my to-do list, I didn't need a gym membership to keep in shape.

21. So that I can put all of my expensive gear to use. ($100 shoes, $50 pants, $15 socks, $30 sports bra, $20 mittens...)

22. To be in that 0.1% who see the finish line.

23. There might be a DQ Blizzard ice cream cake waiting for me at home... (see #16 & 10)

24. It brought us closer (see #1 & 2).

25. I love being a runner. I can't wait to be a marathoner.

26. Because there are people who can't.

26.2 Because there will be a day that I can't.

Wish me luck!!

Kim at EF eDesigns February 12, 2010 10:49 AM

I'm impressed! And jealous - I secretly long to do this....and then I sit on the couch. Maybe someday, but until then, go you!!!

Good luck!

Kate February 12, 2010 10:51 AM

Good luck! I love your list of reasons why! I'll be virtually rooting for you!

Meredith Travels February 12, 2010 10:52 AM

You can do it! You have so many great reasons to fight it through!

maura February 12, 2010 10:52 AM

YEAH! Kasey this is great. It is such a great feeling to cross that finish line. I did it in cleveland about 15 years ago. Just to be able to say you did it is amazing. The amount of food you will consume after is also amazing. Don't forget to put vaseline on all those spots that rub together(to avoid chafing). I lost one toenail after running mine(I know its gross but true). Have fun and enjoy the moment. Good Luck!

frugalapolis February 12, 2010 10:57 AM

It's great your so psyched! It will be tough but if you're ready you'll do just fine. Afterward, you'll realize it was more fun than hard. I ran my first marathon in 1989 when I was 27 and my only goal was to finish under 4 hours. Hopefully the weather will be decent. Congratulations on your great feet!

Mrs. Chic February 12, 2010 10:57 AM

This awesome!! i've always wanted to run, your imprising me to get off my buehind and run!

alice February 12, 2010 11:07 AM

A big good luck from Texas! I love your list!
smiles, alice

carrie February 12, 2010 11:07 AM

GOOD LUCK!!!! That's so cool. I admire marathoners; I will never be able to do that.

WhimsAndInconsistencies February 12, 2010 11:18 AM

I will be cheering for you to! (Although virtually from a great distance.) I have been trying to get back in a better running habit and I feel very inspired now to do a 5K (baby steps!)!

Good luck!

Heather @ McKinney Living February 12, 2010 11:38 AM

GOOD LUCK!! So excited to see photos at the finish line! I am (attempting) to run my first race this summer... just a 10K though. I know your recap will inspire many! :)

Danielle and Clint February 12, 2010 12:06 PM

Ka-sey...Ka-sey...Ka-sey! Good luck!

change is a good thing February 12, 2010 12:25 PM

That is so awesome! I'm very excited for you! I ran the Portland marathon in 2006 and have wanted to do another one again. I can't wait to hear how your experience is! Good luck and have fun! :) Go Kasey!!!

Jacquelin Seybert February 12, 2010 12:27 PM

WOW! Not sure if I could do 2.6 miles LOL. You will be great! :)

Jenny @ Anything Pretty February 12, 2010 12:29 PM

Good luck! I am so impressed that you are ready to do this....I was hoping to just get through a half but injuries kept getting in my way and instead of re-training my butt is imprinted on my couch. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

chacha February 12, 2010 12:38 PM

Good luck! It's totally worth the training effort (though not sure I'm going to do it again since long run days that all I can do, then I zonk out for 3 hours in the afternoon).

I had a lot of fun during my first marathon. Hope your toenails survive :o)

AngieB February 12, 2010 12:55 PM

Good for you! Wear that shirt with pride!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 12, 2010 12:58 PM

Thanks for the support!!!

@maura and chacha~ Eek, I like my toenails where they are!

Audreya February 12, 2010 1:07 PM

What an awesome goal! Like someone else said, I am in awe of runners. Even when I was playing sports and in decent shape, I couldn't run more than a mile. (Now I couldn't run to my car in the parking lot and back without collapsing.) I'll definitely be cheering virtually for you on Sunday!!!

SeeJaneGetRich February 12, 2010 2:03 PM

Good luck! I am cheering for you!

Jennifer February 12, 2010 3:24 PM

Good luck!

I ran my first marathon in December. What an amazing feeling of accomplishment! I made a shirt that had my name on it and "my first marathon" on the back and I had so many more people cheer for me because of it, even other runners.

Diane @ InMyOwnStyle February 12, 2010 4:12 PM

Good Luck- I hope you and Nate have a great run. I look forward to hearing how you did and what you chose to eat for your meal afterwards.
My best- Diane

Meg February 12, 2010 4:32 PM

Wow! That is incredibly cool!! I'd wish you luck, but I know you don't need it.

Happy Marathon Day!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner February 12, 2010 9:31 PM

Hehe - I like your 26.2 reasons! And they're all really good ones! I admire you for doing this, and you'll feel so good about yourself afterwards, no matter what place you finish! The food is definitely a nice perk... don't you also get to eat a lot of pasta and carbs beforehand, too?

I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it on Monday. GOOD LUCK!

Christina February 13, 2010 10:25 AM

Luck! You can do it! Can't wait to hear the stories!

Carmie - the Single Nester February 13, 2010 3:26 PM

Good luck! Bon chance! Tanti auguri.

Caity February 13, 2010 5:19 PM

Good luck! $125 is definitely worth it -- sounds like a priceless experience!

Lauren February 13, 2010 8:29 PM

Go Kasey!! You will do awesome! I am going to run my first 5k (I know you are probablly like whatever loser) this June.

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys February 13, 2010 8:47 PM

I'll be here cheering you on too! Go Kasey Go!!! GOOOOOO Kasey! Congrats on this girlie! I can't wait to here about it Monday!

Have a great weekend!

Amanda February 13, 2010 9:36 PM

Baaa! you almost made me cry! I finished a 13 miler today (my first marathon is in April) and I'm sitting here lazing around on my couch enjoying the post-run soreness and face-stuffing. This post is so inspiring and I share many of the reasons for running with you. Good luck tomorrow, or if you don't read this till afterward (those races are eeaaarrrrly!) then CONGRATULATIONS!!

thisgirlandthatguy February 14, 2010 10:40 AM

Good luck!!! I think it's great you two can set goals, practice and achieve something together!

thisgirlandthatguy February 14, 2010 10:40 AM

alanna rose February 14, 2010 5:47 PM

Good luck, a million times!

micah @ the yellow front door February 14, 2010 8:35 PM

So exciting... hope everything went well for you! Face stuffing would be one of my reasons too :)

The Brick Cottage February 15, 2010 8:23 AM

I hope you kicked some butt! I look forward to your recap because I just can't imagine running a marathon. Color me impressed! :)

DescribeHappy February 22, 2010 12:30 PM

I'm so proud to say I know a marathoner! I bet it feels great to know you did it!! I'm a warm weather runner... meaning I run in the spring/summer/fall and then sit idol for the winter. So here I am sitting idol longing to run! As soon as the temps in the morning are above 40 you can bet I'm getting back out there! Whoop whoop to you!!!