Full Frontal

>> 2.11.2010

Because everyone(okay, just a couple of people) seemed interested in seeing a wide shot of the art above my IKEA Expedit shelves, here's the full frontal. The art is actually a framed museum poster from that I picked up from a thrift store ($100) a few years back. It's very large... so large it wouldn't fit in my Crossover SUV after I bought it! I had to call in a favor and have a friend drive across town with his truck in order to take it home.

I feel like this is one area in my house that is completely to my taste. I love the simple black and white of the bookshelf mixed with the global feel of the artwork. I'll probably use the colors in the print to direct most of the choices in my open living room. The walls are a very light shade of grey and the rug is yellow-based. I'm thinking of painting the entry table a dark blue a and using teal for the window treatments. Black and white accents will probably be everywhere from the art to the fabric for the dining chairs. Hmm, maybe a moodboard is in order...

Do you have a piece of furniture, art, or textile that inspired the decorating scheme of your home? How do you decide on a color palette?

PS Bad winter weather strikes again! I'm sorry, but this was the best image I could get with all of the clouds :(.

carrie February 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Must be an arty kind of day; I just posted almost the same thing (http://brickcitylove.com/2010/02/10/the-crutch-painting/). The crutch painting a dear friend did is inspiring much of our master bedroom decor.

We picked the wall color first and then checked to make sure it didn't fight with the painting (but didn't match exactly; too matchy-matchy). Everything else in the room is pretty neutral creams & browns, except for a couple shots of unexpected color.

I love your print!! Great texture.

Audreya February 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM

When I was studying in Florence, I picked up there two water color prints... one of the Duomo and one of the Ponte Vecchio. When I get back, my grandpa made oak frames for them. I always decorate around them. Luckily, the colors are vibrant and autumn-ish... which are exactly my taste and I can redecorate every few years and still have a lot of options. They are in the living room now but when the kitchen / dining room is finished, they will live in there. I don't choose the wall color specifically around them, but definitely not to clash. Like the post above mine said... not too matchy-mactch but not too far off.

When you started talking about blues and teals, it reminded me of another of my favorite blogs: http://everythingleb.blogspot.com/
She has lots of posts in the color scheme that you might find interesting.

Mrs. Chic February 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM

It funny how items we buy to inspire rooms, I found a placemant (grey) that has really inspired my bedroom makeover i'm in the process of I just turned in into a pillow -

I do think a mood board is in order! Looking forward to seeing where your ideas take you

Danielle and Clint February 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM

What an awesome piece, Kasey! It looks so good leaning against the wall!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM

@Carrie~ Crazy, huh?!

@Audreya~ I'll have to go check that blog out, thanks!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Our green & blue sofa pillows inspired us to paint our living room walls Magnet Dapple. It was the start of our serious paint addiction!

p.s. Love your art print!

Carmie - the Single Nester February 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I decorated a room last year in my home that I call my "Cape Cod" room. Designed around a turquoise vase from Crate and Barrel.

micah @ the yellow front door February 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM

What a great statement piece! Love it!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner February 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Very nice! I wish we had some more art in our house like that - our walls are still so bare!

My husband's parents got us a black sideboard as a wedding gift, and that was one of the first really nice pieces of furniture we owned. I think it inspired us to get a lot of that same style of furniture throughout the house (black with the rubbed edges that look worn).

Dave (twoyoung.com) February 12, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Dang, that piece goes really well with those shelves. I bet it would go well with almost anything though!

I've yet to find a worthwhile piece like that.

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys February 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Loving the art! Dang, I wish it was something I could buy....The colors are perfect!

Great Find!!!