I dib it!

>> 2.15.2010

Yes, I know how to spell! Read on for more about the "dib" in my title...

I'M A MARATHONER! Before I elaborate on the details of the day, I want to thank you all for the supportive words you offered in my 26.2 reasons post. I was soooo nervous on race morning and rereading all of your comments helped more than you'll ever know!

Here we are before the big race. Waking up at 4:45 has never been so easy!

That's me at mile 16. I couldn't believe there were ten miles remaining!
On a side note, how lucky were we to have such beautiful weather?

Nate kicking butt at mile 11.

Okay, so now you believe that we were both running. Here's a little recap of how my race went:
Mile 1-8
I was feeling great and right on pace. I chatted it up with a few runners nearby and could talk with ease.

Mile 8
This is where my stomach began feeling queasy. I've run this distance hundreds of times, so it didn't make sense for me to be having issues here. I think I might have been over-hydrating at the aid stations.

Mile 8-11
Did I mention that Austin has a bit of a hilly course?

Mile 14
This is where the big problems started. I felt like I could lose my dinner at any moment and watched my pace group fly right by me. I like to call this the beginning of my ten mile "wall."

Mile 16
I realized that I had 10 miles to go. TEN MILES??

Mile 18
My pace had slowed by at least a minute per mile, but I no longer focused on what kind of pace I was making. I just wanted to finish that thing!

Mile 21
My dad met up with me on the course to help me pull through to the finish. I don't know what I would have done without him. He reminded me to stand straight, relax my shoulders, and make light steps to loosen my legs.

Mile 24
Mile 24!! Now the finish line was really within my reach. I was going to make it!!

Mile 26.2
Seeing that finish line was the best feeling ever. Running it wasn't the most fun I've had in my life, but I accomplished my big goal and ran the entire 26.2 without stopping!

This is me pretending to be happy after the finish. Trust me, there was some dry heaving a couple of minutes later. Oh, that was TMI... sorry!

How was Nate doing after the race? He was as sore as you might expect, but in an overall good mood because he ran a strong race...
...but with the combo of short running shorts and warming blanket, looked like he was walking around without pants :).

What is a marathon without the loot? All finishers received a medal, technical finisher's shirt, and sporty backpack:
I just love all of the heart details... this might be too cute to make the tree!

Oh, and about that "dib..."
The shirt, backpack, and medal are great and all, but my favorite thing of the day literally took the cake! Rember my little mention of the DQ Blizzard cake pig-out fest I planned for after the marathon (see #23)? When my mom went to go get the cake, she explained to the Dairy Queen staff that I was running a marathon that weekend and she wanted a special cake to give to me for the occasion. My mom requested "congratulations" on the cake, but the staff said that the cake was too small to fit a word that large. "You did it!" was the next thing that popped into my mom's head. She wrote it down on a piece of paper after she realized that the employee didn't quite get the message. Ten minutes later, the employee returned excited with a special cake for the marathoner...
My mom felt bad for the employee so didn't correct her on her mistakes (1 for 3 isn't that bad, is it?).

Does it get better than a marathon and a Cake Wreck in the same day?! How did your first marathon go?

P.S. All ten toenails are doing great! I'd call that a victory in itself, right?
P.P.S. For you runners out there, I ran a 4:15 and Nate ran a 3:35.

The Brick Cottage February 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Wow! Congratulations! The cake is so funny!

Jessica February 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Congrats to you! That is a great accomplishment!

LizzieBeth February 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Girl, I am soooo proud of you! I was thinking of you over the weekend. Congrats on "dibbing" it!!!

SeeJaneGetRich February 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Woooohoo! Awesome! I am super proud of you. Major congratulations. The cake is hilarious. :-)

Kate February 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment - you should be so proud of yourself!

carrie February 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

What an amazing accomplishment!!! So incredibly awesome! You must be unbelievably proud.

That cake is sad; funny but sad. Oy. 'You' & 'did' aren't exactly challenging SAT vocab.

Anonymous,  February 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

CONGRATS!!

DQ also messed up my nieces cake "Happy Birthdy"

Heather @ McKinney Living February 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Hahaha that is hilarious about the cake!! Cake Wrecks is one of my favorites!

CONGRATULATIONS! What a huge, huge accomplishment for the both of you!!

Danielle and Clint February 15, 2010 at 12:11 PM

WOW!!!! Now, I can only run a 5K so I have to say, I can't believe you ran 26.2 miles! Congrats!!!

Meredith Travels February 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

ohh! a cake wreck? I'm so jealous! I've always wanted one!

And hurray! you ran a marathon!

Audreya February 15, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I'm so proud that "yu dib it!" :-) As a cake decorator, however, I am not proud of that fact that anyone with a little icing (or tube of blood red gel, in this case) thinks they are a cake decorator. But, that's another story. I'm sure the cake was tasty either way.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I can't even fathom the dedication it took to complete a marathon. I would say something like "You go, girl!" but I'm not cool enough to pull that off! :-)

chacha February 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Woo hoo! 4:15 is great, especially for your first marathon and a hilly course at that. My first I ran 4:26 and I was thrilled. Your medal is really nice, too - they didn't cheap out on that.

Yeah, mile 16 is where it got dicey in my last one, too. But for my first (LA marathon), it wasn't until mile 24 (I had run an 18, two 20s, and a 22 miler in training - so I think that really helped - I only did one or two 18 milers for Rock n Roll).

I'm sure your quads are screaming at you now. Hopefully you have today off! :o)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

@chacha~ If (I don't want to think about it right now!) I do another, I think I'll try to fit in more long runs. I did a 17 and 20, but I'm sure doing more long runs will help me with that final kick. I have no idea why I was having so many issues at 8, I've done an 8+ run every week for the past two years. Oh well, you can't win them all!

Oh, and yes... I'm in some big time pain. I can't even walk the stairs!! Luckily, we're off of work today (Nate is taking tomorrow off too).

Caity @ Penny Couture February 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Wow, congratulations!

My favorite part of the post was the finish line being in reach at mile 24 -- 2.1 miles alone would be about the max that I could run!

maura February 15, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Yeah! good job Kasey- I am sure you are still tired but the joy of finishing usually outways that! I am glad to hear you still have all 10. You dib it you dib it! Congrats!

Anny February 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM

wo0oo0o congrats to you!

Amanda February 15, 2010 at 3:48 PM

4:15 is awesome! I have no idea where I will finish- I'm guessing anywhere between 4:15 and 4:45. You are very inspiring but it is also terrifying to read your descriptions! I think my friends and I will have to get a DQ cake (and I'm actually hoping for a Cake Wreck- hahahaha).

Jamie Lee February 15, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Congratulations Kasey! I'm so happy for you!

change is a good thing February 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM

That is so great, congratulations!!! What an accomplishment. And you managed to keep all your toenails? I'm jealous! When I did my marathon, I lost several. Now that it's been a day since the marathon, do you think you'd do another one some day? Great finish time too!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

@Amanda~ It was hard, but I'm sure it won't be as hard if you don't end up with stomach problems like I had. Nate didn't start feeling the burn until around 20.

@Change is a good thing~ That's tough to answer today (because I can barely walk... but I have a feeling there will be another marathon in my future. The hardest part of it all is really sticking to the schedule of long runs. Nate is already planning to do a Half Ironman in the fall!

micah @ the yellow front door February 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM

CONGRATS!!! I bet "yu" are relieved that it's over. I would be :)

Um, that cake is hilarious!

Meg February 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Congrats, congrats!! What an incredible accomplishment!

As for the DQ worker, bless her heart!

Mrs. Chic February 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Congrats!! This is so awesome!! WOW

Mrs. Chic February 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Congrats!! This is so awesome!! WOW

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" February 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Congrats!!! I don't think I could ever not stop during a 26.2 mile run.

And please tell me you will be submitting your cake to Cake Wrecks. ^_^

Jenny @ Anything Pretty February 16, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Congrats! What an accomplishment (and the cake makes for a great story).

SlenderSwan2B February 17, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Holy Smacks! You did AWESOME!!!! My hubby just did the Disney Marathon 2010 (his first) and your time smacks his (4:36) LOL

donkee February 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Congrats to you both! Fantastic job :)

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner February 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM

YAY!!! Good for you! Glad you had nice weather for the run, too.

Wow, I almost feel bad for that DQ employee too, but that is just horrible! And it looks like they spelled it "yu" instead of "you"?? Yikes.

Tovah February 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Congrats, that is amazing. I can't imagine running a marathon, I was proud when I finished my first 5K but i think that is far as I can run in one stretch:)

And that cake. Wow. Seriously? I'm sure it still tasted good though.

spark! (Ada-Marie) February 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Congratulations, Kasey! Way to go! I ran a half marathon last March and enjoyed the distance. Not sure if I will ever go 26.2! So impressed! xxoo

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys February 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I realized that I didn't actually comment on this post! I read it on my phone and was so happy for you guys! Congrats Kasey!!! You should be very proud!! And as for that cake....very funny!