Puddles

>> 2.25.2010

I need your help... my house is under attack! There are Hugo puddles popping up everywhere!

I've raised a boy puppy before and never had this issue. We take him outside after every feeding, before bed, before we leave, etc. I've tried crate training before, but it just didn't work with our lifestyle.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping this problem under control?

Audreya February 25, 2010 9:05 AM

We've had this issue with Bruiser and tried every cleaning product on the market. What has worked best is a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. (The cheapest thing! And, of course, what we tried last!) The vinegar breaks down the hormone or whatever it is that makes dogs want to re-mark an area.

Hopefully as Hugo adjusts to his new home, he won't "do something naughty", as we like to call it. :-)

Fianna February 25, 2010 9:11 AM

Being a rescue, I assume he is already fixed? That stopped my male border collie from making his presence known throughout the house.

Otherwise, I can only swear by crate training. I do trust my girl dog much more than the border. Not sure if it is a male/female thing... Since he is new, he may just be trying to establish dominance... Oy...

Danielle and Clint February 25, 2010 9:21 AM

What helped with my dog, Fatty, when he wasn't potty trained, was taking him outside almost every hour when I was home. Then he got a treat when he came in, if he went potty. It took a good month for him to get it down. But I know every doggie can be different. Try calling your vet for advise also! They sometimes have good solutions too!!

Good luck!

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman February 25, 2010 9:23 AM

Here's my advice.

First, clean up every last bit of his previous puddles. If he smells urine, it will trigger his sense to mark things. I'd even get a black light and take it around the house so you can find former ones you might have missed.

Second, our dog really responds to rewards. So I would give your dog tons of great treats that he loves whenever he pees outside. Just act super excited about it. He will learn that peeing outside is a desired behavior, and he will want treats. Eventually he will do it without treats.

Is he peeing when you're gone or when you are home? You may need to confine him to one room while you are gone. It's a similar concept to crate training - he won't want to pee in the area where he has to hang out. You can gradually give him more space over time as he does well.

Crate training really does work best, but I understand if you don't want to do it.

The Brick Cottage February 25, 2010 9:53 AM

If he's doing it when you're not at home you can try puppy training pads (they are scented to attract puppies to potty on them). Dogs can generally hold their bladder for one hour for every month old they are plus one hour (so a three month old can hold it for four hours). When Bindi was young, we kept her confined in the kitchen (using a baby gate) and she used puppy pads while we were at work but when we got home, we'd take her outside. And at night, we'd use a crate (and set an alarm for the hour(s) that we needed to take her outside). She got used to the routine fairly quickly, but then again, she is female and doesn't feel the need to mark.

Kate February 25, 2010 10:11 AM

Crate training does wonders for house breaking - just make sure the crate is the right size (not too big or too small). A crate should be a safe, happy place for a dog to go, so it isn't a negative for the dog at all. Even if you don't want to crate forever, it might be useful to start out with a crate and then gradually leave him out for longer and longer periods of time (that's what we've done with our dogs anyway).

Everytime he goes potty outside have a "Potty Party" and act like his going outside the.best.thing.ever. (which really, it is!).

If he's going while you're at home, make sure he's never out of your sight. If you need to, use a leash to tether him to you. As soon as you see him gearing up to pee take him straight outside and let the "Potty Party" start!

Since he's new and still young, it make take a little bit. You can also try to bell train him (so he rings a bell when he needs to go out) which some people have a lot of luck with. The best thing is just to reward him when he goes outside and to try to interrupt him if you see him in the act while inside.

Good luck! I know house breaking isn't fun.

Katie February 25, 2010 11:00 AM

we also crate trained our 2 (boy) dogs and it was no big issue. i'd never had a dog before so i was nervous about that at first, but they learned very quickly that they needed to go outside and not in the house. after only a few months we were able to leave them out at night and only used the crate when we were away during the day. now we usually just put up a baby gate for them and leave them in the kitchen during the day.

Mrs. Chic February 25, 2010 11:05 AM

I feel you on this! Small dogs are sneeky large dogs will 'hold it' then go outside!

Here's what kindof been working for us -- our doggie sleeps in the bathroom at night, and I soon as I wake up I take him outside for a good ten mins, and then while we are gone I leave hin the bathroom. He has a crate but dosn't like it. Whne we are home I keep and eye on him, if he's quiet, I know he's up to NO good! GL

Cindy @The Flipping Couple February 25, 2010 12:51 PM

I don't have any great suggestions for the training part...our dog literally trained herself. But whenever we have puddles (she still submissive pees) we use Natures Miracle which I SWEAR BY. It eliminates the odor completely and we don't have trouble with her favoring a spot. We get it at Pet's Smart and it's fantastic!

chacha February 25, 2010 1:05 PM

Seems to me the boys are harder. I had two girl puppies that understood in like a week. I expected mine to be done with this potty training business by now (more than a month), but no. He is still unreliable. However, he is not that bad and I think it's b/c of the crate training. Right now, he has about 2 accidents per week and almost always in the evening (it's like his brain is tired and forgets to hold his pee or tell us he needs out). We've also corralled him into one area of the house by blocking doors with pieces of drywall and whatever else we have lying around so we can watch him at all times.

Crate training is seriously worth the effort (and it is effort). Even if a year from now you stop and let them sleep wherever (Nikki wasn't crated for the last 2 years - slept on the bed with us), you can always start crating again and they're fine with it. She's crated now next to the puppy at night and didn't put up a fuss about it.

AB HOME Interiors February 25, 2010 4:29 PM

Oh no! Well cant live with them, cant live without them! Look at that cute face, isnt it worth all that trouble?! haha

micah @ the yellow front door February 25, 2010 7:08 PM

We have female dogs, so not sure how boy dogs work.... maybe try those wee-wee pads (technical name) for when you're not at home. When you are home, I'd keep him on a leash so he can't run off and pee when you're not looking. and of course, treats are always good for when they do go outside. Good luck!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty February 25, 2010 9:38 PM

I don't have a lot of advice as well have not had a lot of issues like this with our pups (but no worries...we have just had different issues). You might want to look at leerburg.com. They have strong opinions and I do not agree with everything they post, but there is a huge amount of dog training resources on there and their videos have been really successful with helping us work through our dog issues. They sound like they really know what they are talking about even if it is not the "easy" way. Good luck!

jacquelin Seybert February 26, 2010 10:08 AM

Do you have a dog door? Mike and I both work all day. The dog door has been wonderful! Morgan learned to use his dog door immediately. He was far more interested in being and peeing outside than inside. That worked really well for us.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 26, 2010 10:30 AM

So many good ideas... I'm going to try them all!!

@Fianna~ Yes, he is fixed.

@Kristi~ That's up in the air... it looks as though he is doing most of it when we aren't there, but I think he sneaks in a few puddles during breakfast time (although we take him out three times before work).

@Jacquelin~ No, but that might be something to look into. The only thing I'm a little worried about is mud/ dirt being tracked intot the house.

threeacres February 26, 2010 11:13 PM

Get him checked for a urinary tract infection right away.

Whatever you do DON'T use pee pads. They only encourage peeing in the house and make it harder to completely house train. And doggy doors are not the answer either. Leaving your dogs unattended outside is a very bad idea. I could go on but just google it.

We have a female dog but had a male foster dog who was intact at the time (he had to finish his heartworm treatment before he could get neutered). Crate training is the single best way to enforce your house break training. 100% of our rescue's dogs are crate trained. Why isn't crate training working for you? Try putting the crate in a central area like the living room. have the crate fairy stop by (when your dog isn't looking through some treats in randomly) so that he'll get used to go in there and associate the crate with treats. When you go to work in the morning feed you dog in the crate. Give him a treat everytime he goes in the crate, preferably something like a filled and frozen Kong. Start re-introducing the crate with 15 min times when you run an errand, then move up the time as he gets used to them. If he has a problem specifically against the crate try a small bathroom or laundry room. But those rooms aren't preferred because they don't usually feel like the dog's own den.

Use Nature's Miracle & let it soak in. Do potty praising followed by a treat. Positive reinforcement is the best way to train a dog. Find the #1 treat he likes (usually some type of human food like a tiny piece of hot dog or cheese) and use those treats only for when he goes outside/in his crate. They are a high value treat and he'll take onto your training quicker when you have his attention like that. If he's one of those dog's that will drink and drink and drink you might need to limit how much water he gets in the AM...but be very careful with this talk to your vet.

If he's going to the bathroom when you're home try tethering him to you (wearing a belt with his leash handle through it works well). That way you will always be able to see him and when he lifts his leg to go you can correct him in the act, hurry him outside, and praise him when he goes outside. I know it doesn't sound fun but it's very effective because you are catching the bad behavior in process so he'll understand what you want. Dogs really do want to please their owners they just don't always understand what you want. You may only have to tether him in the mornings if that is the problem time.

Good luck!

Lauren February 28, 2010 8:20 PM

I would talk to your vet about it and make sure that there isn't a medical reason for it. My dog did the same thing when we first brought him and home and the vet said that he was just marking his new territory.. it stopped in a few weeks after we brought him home.

Also.. I am laughing aloud with the picture of the dogs and their thought bubbles.. classic!

pammyg August 14, 2010 8:08 PM

I have three dogs, two of which are rescues. One was three when I got him, totally unhousebroken as he came from a puppy mill (who, four years later still has occasional accidents), the other has separation anxiety, and both are petrified of thunderstorms. What saves my home are belly bands, a layered band of fabric that has velcro to hold it closed around your male dog's penis area. You can also put a pad inside the belly band if you are going to be gone for an extended time, which I regularly do with one of my dogs. I just use a Walmart Poise type pad in the small size and keep reusing the same one until it gets wet. I prefer ones made of cotton flannel as they are more absorbent than plain fabric ones, but if you plan to use a pad I don't think it would matter.

Check them out on eBay, here's an example:

I bought a few in the beginning when I got my first rescued dog and now I just sew my own, they're not hard to make at all. Crating is fine, but my dog with sep. anxiety has wrecked two crates and chipped his teeth. I just won't do that to him anymore.

Most of the time my dogs don't have accidents but if they do, we're covered.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

pammyg August 14, 2010 8:19 PM

p.s. My daughter moved to Austin (from Fort Worth) a few months ago. She and her husband just love it!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog August 16, 2010 10:43 AM

@pammyg~ Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that!!