Reality Bites

>> 2.05.2010

I was so, so naive back when I finished up my bathroom reno. I loved the idea of a simple white soap dish with a fresh, clean bar of soap; it would be so hotel chic…

or not.

Enter my friend Tilex and

my new $4 soap pump from Marshalls...

and a nice little swap was made.

I found myself using the glass shelf to catch my necklaces on as I went to bed at night so adding the soap dish was the perfect way to reuse my purchase. Speaking of soap dishes, check out the dish turned glasses holder in this bedroom reveal (cute, right?).

So, when did reality sink in after one of your projects? Other than soap dishes, what else should I not try in my home?

Anny February 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I had the same issue in my bathroom and ended up using BOTH the soap dish and the dispenser until the bar soap ran out. I ended up chucking the holder under the sink but I like your idea and may dig it back out :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards February 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

haha... thanks for being real. Isn't it funny how a grand idea can turn out being kinda bland?

micah @ the yellow front door February 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I'm not a fan of bar soap either... way too messy! At least you found a good use for your cute little dish!

Audreya February 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I guess if you want hotel chic, you have to leave the soap in the wrapper! :-)

A year or so ago, I painted my kitchen cabinets in what I hoped would be a Tuscan-inspired look. It turned out looking like rotten margarine. They will be a crisp white soon. I can't wait.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty February 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I love real pictures...and the jewelry plate is perfect! The first time I painted the kitchen cabinets I decided not to poly. Mistake..... They were difficult to keep clean and showed every waterspot. So exactly a year later I had to repaint them all and then add the poly. Talk about a frustrating project.

Loribeth February 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM

My ex-husband was a smoker, and when he left, he left behind the lead crystal ashtray behind that I gave him. It was so pretty, I re-purposed it as a place to put my jewelry in the bathroom. So I love your idea for the soap dish!

LizzieBeth February 6, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Ah ha ha ha! This totally cracks me up!

I'm not a fan of the bar soap, but I do have a hammered metal soap dish that I have a small crush on. It sits next to my sink and collects all my bobby pins and hair ties for the week.

Love the pump though!

Amanda February 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Pumps are definitely the way to go! I guess we should just leave the bar soap to the fancy hotels. Love the $4 Marshall pump!

Delightful Dwelling February 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I don't use bar soap for that reason. Although sometimes the soap pumps will leave rings too! I gave you an award on my blog: http://delightfuldwelling.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreativ-blogger-award.html

Amanda February 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Most of my "reality" moments have to do with my yard. I'll spend hours doing something, with such a satisfying result, and then I'll forget how much upkeep it takes. Before I know it the whole thing is grown over again!

Anyway, I like the soap dish idea a lot. I may copy it for bobby pins, as I need a little something else on my bathroom shelf and it looks so chic!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life February 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM

My 'super cute' makeup holder? Its cute, but it tips over ALL the time and its basically a big disaster at this point...

chacha February 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is the case for a lot of "cool-looking" things. They don't necessarily work great in practice. Like all those home-decor blogs we read - I'm fairly certain most of the time their houses don't look as perfect as the pictures.

I gave up on bar-soap (outside of the shower) years and years ago. My parents always had bar soap at our bathroom sink and it was always a big fat mess.

Nicole R.J. March 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I finally found a soap holder that doesn't get all mucked up like most of them do ~ so annoying! But I think they're still great for guest baths!

We haven't gotten far enough in our own renos to make many major booboos... aside from starting renos in the fall and realising that once winter hit we'd just have to live 'as is' until we could open windows and work {powertools} outside again!