Rockin' the Resolutions

>> 2.04.2010

It's the first week of February and we all know that means it's time to reflect on the resolutions we all blogged about in December/ January. I might be a bit biased, but I must say that I get an A+ for my work on the thrifty resolutions I made for 2010...

1. Solve the great coupon conundrum:
Well we all know that I solved it not once, but two times (unfortunately). We'll see if I'm still keeping up with the new system six months from now.

2. Sign up for a rewards program:
Nate and I had been talking about getting a joint credit card for our expenses for a while so this was the perfect opportunity to sign up for a rewards card. After looking at the many options, we went with this card. With no annual fee, 2% cash back on grocery and gas, and 1% cash back on everything else, it was a good choice for us. While some other cards might offer great rewards in gift cards, this will actually put some cash in our hands at the end of the year.

Before you worry about the fact that two unmarried people are sharing expenses on a credit card, let me explain how we are working out the payment details... The card is in Nate's name so technically he is the one responsible for paying the balance. He owes me a rent check each month (since I own the house we live in) so he just deducts my half of the monthly credit card balance and gives me a check for the difference. I pay for all of the house related bills on my own so his monthly contribution always comes in the form of one lump sum.

I'm happy with the rewards that we're earning jointly (already over $7 in the past few weeks), but I still feel like the other personal charges I'm making could be earning me money as well so I plan on possibly looking into a personal card in the next few months.

3. Spend less on the house and more on school:
I'm happy to say that this resolution doesn't necessarily have to happen! Like I mentioned in this post, my company has offered to pay for my master's degree (tuition and books) and I will no longer have to funnel all of my extra cash into paying for it myself. What will I do with the $800-1,000 I planned on putting towards school per month? Well, some will go into house projects (new appliances and windows), some will be put aside for the future, and some will go to fun (I would love to go on a real vacation this year!).

Wow, I feel so accomplished already! I guess this means I'll have more energy to put into The Ten Party Project. Speaking of which, I think I might postpone the potluck party to week two of the Olympics. I didn't send out any invites yet (with all of the hectic car break-in stuff) and I just don't feel like I have the time to get everything organized in one week. If I'm changing the date, do you think I should go with a weekday evening or a weekend? When would you be most happy to attend a potluck?

babs February 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I'd say still go with a weekend evening, like Friday night. That way no one feels like they have to cut the night short. :)

Audreya February 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I think things like that work great on Fridays. Saturdays are usually a good day to sleep in... whereas Sundays we get up for church, so we try not to stay out as late on Saturdays.

You're doing great on your resolutions! The only one I attempted to keep was your photo a day idea and so far, I've done it. I'm kind of amazed, actually. :-)

Jamie Lee February 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Go with a weekend! It's always so hard to get anywhere after a long day at work. Plus your guests will have time to make food before the event. This will lead to more homemade fresh food! Yum!

Meg February 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Awesome! I'm actually happy to say that I've stuck with all of my resolutions so far too, and I came up with a crazy amount because I figured if I was able to stick to just 2 or 3, I was improving myself and doing well.

Congrats on sticking to everything! And you came up with some really smart resolutions, too! I love the rewards and the coupon book makes my heart sing.

I'd say Friday or Saturday. I go out on week nights sometimes, but for the most part I like to stay at home so I can decompress from the day and get everything ready for the next day. And I'm sure your guests will want to stick around for awhile.

spark! (Ada-Marie) February 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Great job! If you look into another card, we love ours -- American Express cash back. We get close to $1,000 back each year (it's the only card we use).

Mrs. Chic February 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Your doing great so far - I'd mostly likely want to attend a potluck on a weekend, so I could be more creative and not feel rushed getting the meal together

SeeJaneGetRich.com February 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I agree with @JamieLee. Go with the weekend like Saturday for a potluck because people need time to make the food.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home February 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Congratulations on accomplishing so much so quickly.

The Sale Rack February 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM

hey there,

i thought your readers might be interested in the contest I am sponsoring over at The Sale Rack! Whoever submits the most creative way they are saving money so far this year will win a magenta personalized leather journal--a $50 value!