Thrifty and Free Valentine's Day

>> 2.10.2010

Although many might hate Valentine's Day, I think it's a fun little break from the cold weather of winter. As fun as it is, it's still not worth shelling out the big bucks for! I skip out on the fancy dinners and new jewelry... but never on the love.

With a few household supplies and about 45 minutes, I was all set to treat my guy to a Valentine's full of big gestures, yummy sweets, cute surprises, and sentimental keepsakes.

*I'm so sorry about the photo quality. Don't you hate this cloudy winter weather?!

1. The big gesture... because they aren't always so great at noticing the small things.
Can you tell I've had that Sharpie for ages? The Post-Its were freebies from a local race sponsored by 3M. When else will I use heart-shaped notes?
When he comes home, Nate will find a sweet note on the door...

...and giant gesture on the wall!

2. The sweets... because guys speak chocolate.
Shhh... don't tell that these were 70% off Christmas Kisses! (Don't worry, I'll take care of the green ones.)
Nate really gets a kick out of finding these. I've hidden them in his lunches, on the computer, and slipped them in his hand while we're watching T.V.

3. The cute surprise... because who expects Valentines in the shower?
After removing the labels, all it takes is a little Sharpie action.
Hopefully he'll pick up the bottle so that he notices!

4. The sentimental keepsake... because it's something we'll both enjoy.
Don't we all have empty photo albums lying around (if not, find one at a thrift store)?
I signed up for a CVS account and printed 50 of our favorite pictures from the past year for free! *No, I don't have a clue as to why Nate wore sunglasses underwater.

How do you celebrate a thrifty or free Valentine's Day?

I'm linking up with Penny Pinching Party over at The Thrifty Home. Come join in on the fun!

Danielle and Clint February 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I am glad to see another Valentine's Day Lover here! I am going to do some cute things in Clint's lunch on Friday. And On Saturday, I am going to make us a heart shaped pizza and chocolate covered strawberries. Cute ideas Kasey!!

Audreya February 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM

What's strange to me is that I didn't even notice it was strange Nate had on sunglasses underwater until you mentioned it! :-)

Great ideas! And you're right... chocolate seems to make the best gift for a guy at Valentine's Day! At least for my guy anyway...

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" February 10, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Nate is one lucky guy! This is such a sweet idea. Chris and I are very low key when it comes to Valentines day. No gifts or fancy dinners to stress over. We like to spend the heart-day by cooking together, and usually it's a new-to-us recipe, followed by a netflix.

I may just hide a couple of heart notes inside each cupboard...since he can't seem to remember where anything is stored!

Meg February 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM

First of all, I loved Danielle's little rant on her blog. I love valentine's day too!

Lee and I are having a fancy date at home. We're serving hummus, wine and cheese for an appetizer, lobster or crab for dinner and some decadent dessert to finish. And we're dressing up and adding lots of candles and good music. That way, we can avoid the crowds and save a lot of money.

I love all of your sweet ideas for messages around the house! I'm going to have to steal that!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno February 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Cute ideas!. I think this Valentines day will pass without any fanfare, the same as every other year. We are so boring!

SeeJaneGetRich.com February 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Awesome ideas. I especially love the heart shaped presentation on the wall with the stickys. An early happy v-day to you. Mine's going to be super low key.

Amanda February 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I'm thinking of trying these for the hun http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2008/04/red-velvet-black-and-white-cookies/ They look divine! I like all your ideas too. And I wouldn't have noticed the sunglasses either haha.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner February 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I'm still trying to come up with something creative (i.e. cheap) to do for my husband. Ugh! I thought about doing something with random post-it notes around the house or in his truck, too. And we'll probably cook dinner together instead of going out to eat. Other than that, nothing too crazy!

micah @ the yellow front door February 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas - I need all the help I can get! We don't have any plans for V-day, will probably just have a nice dinner at home and a bottle of wine :) I like that you are "taking care" of the green Hershey Kisses.

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys February 10, 2010 at 10:29 PM

This such a cute and fun idea! Now, why didn't I think of that?!

Tracy @ Comfort and Luxury February 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Very cute ideas! I used to buy heart shaped chocolates wrapped in red foil and leave them in surprise places for my husband... all year long... forgot all about that! You've inspired me to pick up a bag tomorrow. Thanks for that... and for stopping by my blog today!

Jacquelin Seybert February 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I gave Michael a "heart attack" one year. I covered his room with red and pink hearts on the walls with little messages and I scattered red and pink balloons everywhere. It was fun! Did I mention this was his room at a Fraternity house? He loved it.

Tovah February 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I see my idea has already been mentioned--making a dinner at home instead of dealing with the crowds. Instead of trying to make "fancy" food at home I plan on making one of my husband's favorite meals (meatballs) and invest my "fancy" ideas on decor with candles and a homemade heart banner over the table. I found these great (and cheap!) white heart shaped paper doileys that I'm going to string together. I also just saw a cute idea for making valentines where you glue or stitch a button onto the valentine and go with the "cute as a button" theme.
I also like leaving my husband love notes throughout the year. I hide them in his lunchbag and my favorite is to hide them in the pockets of his work uniform. He never knows where they'll pop up but I know they always brighten his day.

Jen February 15, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Holy Cow! How do you look so amazing and relaxed underwater??? Love the ideas. We don't do flowers and jewelry around here and have sorta made Valentines Day a family event with the kids. When we got up, our door had been "heart attacked" by my kids. They had written all of the things they love about us on hearts and taped them to our bedroom door. It's the small, free things that mean the most.