Anthro Necklace Knockoff

>> 3.29.2010

While I waited for stain to dry this weekend, I kept busy with a little thrifty craft action:

Have you seen this necklace before?

I knew I had to make my own after seeing one in the newest Anthropologie catalog:
$48... no thanks!

I created my own version using Dollar Tree flowers ($1), two thrift store chains ($2), scissors, and pliers...
 for a total of $3.

I used the pliers to remove the clasp from the gold chain and attach it to the silver one. The scissors helped me cut apart the petals and create holes to thread through the gold chain.

I was able to get the fuller look by alternating between one hole and two hole petals.
I love the way the gold looks peeking through the white petals.

Don't worry Anthropologie... although I was able to make your $48 necklace for $3, I still love you! I promise to wear it with one of your dresses. I doubt that will be something I'll be able to DIY.

Anyone have a chance to do a knockoff craft lately?

PS I'm linking up with The 27th Penny Pinching Party over at The Thrifty Home.
Make sure you head over and join in on the fun!

Ashley Mutschler March 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM

What a great idea! I love it!

Babs March 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM

wow, great job! it's inspiring me to do the same thing with the fake flowers from my upcoming wedding for jewelry after :)

micah @ the yellow front door March 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM

so cute! want to make me one too? :)

Meg March 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Kasey, this is SO brilliant! I might have to copy you. That necklace is beautiful! I love the effect of the gold peaking through, too. So smart!

Jennifer March 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I love that and I am going to steal the idea :)

Kerry @ First Time Fancy March 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Oh wow - you did an awesome job! That looks great... makes me want to run home and make one! ;) great work!

hiphousegirl March 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Gaaaa!!! Soooo cute. Love the dress too.

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog March 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM

omg, Kasey. You never cease to amaze me! It's absolutely fabulous.

Mrs. Chic March 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

whata great idea! I really like the dress your paired your necklace with - it looks so cute.

Heather @ McKinney Living March 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Brilliant!! You could make a fortune!! ;)

Flavia @ Estilo Home March 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM

It came out great! I'm impressed. Loving that dress too!

The Brick Cottage March 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I'm so happy I can finally see the last picture--it looks awesome! You are so creative.

McCarthy Designs March 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Wow Kasey! Your necklace turned out so well and with all that money you saved you can go out and buy yourself something nice! ; )
xx

Katie March 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM

That turned out great! Good job! :)

Luke and Ashley March 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I knocked off a "Frame the Date"

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life March 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM

LOVE THIS! I think I am going to have to make one myself- it will look fab with that dress :)

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman March 29, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Kasey - what happened with Blogger? I saw something on my google reader about you having some blogger issues, but now that post is gone. weird! I haven't had any problems so far (knock on wood). I did sign up for Wordpress, just to see what it's like. It's definitely not as intuitive and I *think* you have to pay to use your own template design. Not sure though, will have to explore more.

Rachel March 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM

WOW! What a fantastic idea. I'm completely inspired and am going to try this myself. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Samantha @ i heart mini. March 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I jumped over to your blog from YHL when I saw you posted about using Dollar Store flowers. I use them ALL THE TIME! This is a great idea for them, and it turned out great! I'm just boring and use them in their usual flower form :) but I did 6 flower arrangements for $7.

Life in Rehab March 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

That was simply brilliant, and I love it! Thank you for sharing.

Where is that jewelry-making daughter of mine...

Jen March 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM

You always have such great ideas. I finally added your blog to my side bar with the Thrifty Blogs (I had been planning on doing it for a while).

Rockin Momma March 31, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Hello! I'm your new follower though Penny Pinching Party! Great site! Visit me at www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=848 and sign up for my giveaway!

Heather April 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I love this! I just became your newest follower, and I've only read this one tutorial but after the creative idea you had I knew I wanted to be one of your fans. If you feel like stopping by my blog, we've got a Blog Party going on, here's the link: http://500dollarwedding.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesday-blog-party-1.html I'd love it if you wanted to contribute something! Our blog is for brides and newlyweds on a budget. :) Heather

Jill June 25, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I love this idea! So creative!