Are you thrifty or a hoarder?

>> 3.08.2010

I'm sure we've all seen or heard of the A&E show, Hoarders, in which people with severe hoarding issues are urged by their family or friends to overcome their hoarding problems.

find out more about this hoarder's space here

Looks a little crazy, doesn't it? Honestly, I thought the same thing until I put a little more thought into how easily some thrifty habits could turn into full-blown problems. Think about some of the major temptations:

1. "But it's on clearance!"
Have you ever bought something that you didn't need or already had just because it was a good deal?
*PS Have you thought about the fact that this might not even be such a thrifty behavior?

2. "They were just going to throw it out!"
I've been there: A friend or relative has a garage sale and doesn't want to deal with the remaining "junk." You see potential in the pieces and go ahead and take some of the free loot home. Six months later and you still have an unpainted bookshelf sitting in your garage...

3. "I might need it again one day!"
So you might not have a shopping problem, but you just can't seem to give things away. Sure, it would save money down the line if you happen to need those jeans that are two sizes too big again... but is it worth cramming your closet with three different wardrobes just for that possibility?

Have you ever found that your thrifty tendencies create little clutter problems?

PS I promise none of my rooms look like the one pictured above, but I've been known to fall into temptation before.

Amanda March 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Whew, Kasey, I got worried for a second when I saw that picture! I've watched that show and it is really sad. Fortunately I think I watched it early enough in life to scare me. Sure, I'm addicted to thrift stores and good deals, but I also have periodic closet purges to keep it from getting out of hand. There really can be a frighteningly thin line!

Jacquelin Seybert March 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I'm the absolute opposite of a hoarder. I go through my rooms once or twice a year. If I see clothes or something for the house that I haven't used in a year, out the door it goes! Craigslist or it becomes a garage sale item. Mike and I don't have the room [only 1,000 sq. ft.] for too much stuff!

Stacy March 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I just found your blog! I'm so exciting for the new series "Hoarders: Buried Alive." I can't help but be fascinated with those people - but not so much in a good way!

Danielle and Clint March 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I think my mom does this with groceries. She is always over buying with things on sale, etc. A lot of times, she would forget what she had and would have multiple items. She always complains how my cupboards look so bare.

Heather @ McKinney Living March 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I TRY to live by the rule that for each item I bring in, I need to sell or donate an item to make 'room' - but the "they were going to throw it away" and "it's on clearance!" have gotten the best of me before! It's hard to keep a good balance, but that Hoarders show will shock you into MAJOR spring cleaning/purging mode!!!

Caity March 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I think my thrifty habits partially developed out of my general affection for stuff. (Little me could always convince my mom to buy something if it were on sale!) My little black dress collection may not be the most frugal, but seeing them all hanging together makes me happy...

McCarthy Designs March 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I can see how easy it would be to become a hoarder! However I am pretty good and clearing out often and giving away/selling/throwing out anything I don't use. If I didn't my husband would gently encourage me to. xx

The Thriftress March 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Sometimes I feel like a hoarder when I can't get organized. But I don't really have the behaviors you mentioned. I DO, however, love to shop!

Thanks for the comment love!
Sarah

The Thriftress March 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Thanks for the comment love!
Sarah

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards March 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM

You got me.... I totally have a wooden shelf in the garage, waiting for love. But, it was in the garbage and I had to save it. =)

Christie, Describe Happy March 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Is it bad that I want to know if their are any good treasures in there?

Christie, Describe Happy March 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Is it bad that I want to know if their are any good treasures in there?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

@Christie~ No... there actually are good treasures in there! The website has interesting information about the different things and why the owner held on to them.

Kayla K@Kayla K's Thrifty Ways March 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I posted on this topic just a little while ago. I definitely agree that overblown thrifty-ness can lead to hoarding. I'm reminded of Depression-era folks who can't let go of their margarine containers.

I love to make crafts out of old clothing, jewelry, plastic bags, etc. So it's sometimes hard for me to give things up because everything is a potential project.

Meg March 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM

There was a time in high school and college when I was scared to throw things away. Old school papers and clothes were thrown into storage in case I needed them (not sure why I thought I'd need old French tests).

But then I started to realize how dangerous that was and ridiculously stupid. Thankfully, I'm not afraid to throw stuff out these days.

Anny March 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Ugh I just bought a curbside dresser mirror home. I have nowhere to put it but I love mirrors, it wasn't cracked and they were just going to throw it away! I need to inspiration or it goes in craigslist's free section!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM

@All~ Just to clarify... I'm not bashing any of the behaviors above, just saying that they can become bad habits if you do them too much. I've seen some amazing projects come from curbside trash and overbought things that were on sale and ended up needing them later. It's all about keeping these habits under control!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic March 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I'm the opposite, to a fault. My last roommate thought I was cold hearted because I don't keep much for sentimental reasons. I hated "stuff" and dust collecting knick knacks for so long.

I do have some pottery and ceramic animals around these days, but after my flood, I tucked them all away until I could get my floors redone and I've actually enjoyed the minimalism. It'll be strange to put everything back out!

By the way, I LOVE Hoarders because I can't sit still while I watch it. I have to clean while it's on. Isn't that odd?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM

@Jeaninne~ Nope, that's why I would go to the gym to watch Biggest Loser!