The Fabric Fight

>> 3.23.2010

First, I have to say that I did spend this weekend redoing the table and, in Nate's words, "it looks a hundred times better!" I'm not finished with it yet, but look out for a post outlining the many, many mistakes that I made when refinishing it and all of the tips I learned when I went over to my friend's professional wood shop on Saturday.

Now, on to the important stuff! I could use a little advice when it comes to recovering the seats of the dining chairs. When I first made the dining room plan, it looked a little like this:

Now, since the inspiration fabric was a lot out of my budget (about $40/yd), I had a little shopping to do. A chic friend of mine led me over to fabric.com where I fell in love with a beautiful and affordable ($13/yd) option for my desk chair.

I swear, this image of a gorgeous Domino office (source) is actually on topic... you see, my dining room table came with six chairs, but we're planning on using two of them up in the office when we aren't having fabulous dinner parties (so... most of the time). For the two office chairs, I want to go with a more exciting color or pattern that will pop against the white furniture and walls (like the pink of the chair above). That's why the fabric I fell in love with was absolutely perfect:

I would get the girly pink and Nate would have the navy option:

then, the dining room chairs could get a coordinating grey version:

Okay, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised when Nate didn't quite go for the plan. I thought that he would at least go for the pink/ navy office chair idea, especially because the fabric was made to look like a stack of books. Didn't he know that it could have been worse?! I fell in love with a millon other girly patterns, but didn't actually suggest them because I knew that they would get the instant veto:

So I think my new argument will be to offer to go with all white for the dining room chairs to trade for the option of using the girly pink and navy prints for the office.

So currently, Nate's stance is: "I don't care what you do as long as you don't use that fabric." He thinks the blue print looks 1980's beach house. Do you think that the fabric is worth fighting for or should I go for something less gender-specific like a geometric pattern?

efedesigns March 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I hate to say it...because I'm all for solidarity...but I'm on Nate's side against the print. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just not a fan. Plus, I'd probably still do SOME kind of print in the dining room for some visual interest. Most of your other finishes are solids already. Sorry if that was completely unhelpful!
-Kim

jbnmikki March 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I have to agree that I don't care for the print myself but it should be about what you like. That said I wouldn't go with white unless you slip covered them because they would show too much dirt. You can always change them , I think mine are in their 6th incarnation. mikki

Sarah March 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Wow, I'm impressed that Nate was able to come up with "1980s beach house".

I hate to admit it, but I agree with him. I'm not a fan of the fabric. But the rest of your plan, I love. Looking forward to the table reveal and staining tips!

Sarah,  March 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM

On second thought, the fabric isn't bad. I like the pink and blue with the "book stacks" centered. I don't like the white space centered. Having kids makes me cringe with white upolstry.

Mrs. Chic March 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for the shout out! lol

I like your original fabric option much better, so I looked on fabric.com and saw this fabric very simular: http://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-designer-home-decor-fabric-p-kaufmann-home-decor-fabric-collections-p-kaufmann-ritzy-collection-p-kaufmann-loopy-lou-robin-s-egg.aspx

It's a robins egg blue...

Also check out www.tonicliving.com for more fabric options and a better color version of the Loopy Lou (from fabric.com)

GL

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM

@Sarah~ I don't really like it the way it is on that chair either. I would rather have the stack centered the way it is in the pillow.

@Mrs. Chic~ Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out!

Danielle and Clint March 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

OOO! I like what Mrs. Chic picked out!! I do like the way the fabric looked on the pillow and I think the chairs still painted white would work with it. But, after I saw what Mrs. Chic found, I say go with that!!

change is a good thing March 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Gonna have to go with Nate on this one too! Sorry. I love the idea of all white for the dining room too. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

maura March 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Going along with Nate on this one. Sorry Kasey!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life March 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM

FIGHT! Haha, I love the fabric and I'm not sure how it's girly? It's kind of funny how transforming it can be, it looks like a totally different pattern on the chair and on the pillow.

Meg March 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Men! Lee drives me crazy because he vetoes pretty much anything that has a print or bold color. He always wants solids and neutral colors, but I think there should be a little color and prints to add interest to the room.

I'm a bad influence, but I've started just going ahead and buying the stuff I truly love and then putting it up to see how he reacts. He has yet to notice the ruffles shower curtain I bought a week ago. I thought for sure he'd spot it after his first shower. I feel guilty, but then again, I'm not a fan of him telling me no without providing any other suggestions or ideas.

I say you find another print that you like and then tell him it's either that one or he has to pick out some himself. If he really cares that much, you can look together and if he doesn't, he'll let you go for it.

Dayka (Life +Style) March 23, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I saw go with something less gender specific, or try for a geometric print. There are so many great fabrics out there, I know you'll find something! I like the direction you're going in, though. :)

chacha March 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Tough call. It's go to be on the same page, but perhaps go for a compromise where maybe you each get to pick one you really like for a specific set of stuff. Or else it's too crazy trying to find the "perfect" one. Luckily my huz has been letting me pick fabrics without too much complaint (which is new).

I like your choices - Anna Maria Horner has some really nice prints. I just got one of hers (6 yards at 10.50 per yard) for a chair I'm going to recover.

Etsy has some great fabric deals, btw. I got a yard of Amy Butler for $8. $13 you mentioned is pretty good, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life March 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Also, I meant to say thanks for the link to SYL Kasey! Just added Thrifty Little Blog to my blogroll as well!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty March 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM

OK I am going to disagree because I love the "book" fabric but no matter what you decide I am sure it will be fab. And not sure if this will work with Nate, but with my husband I suggest to him all the flowery stuff that I know he will veto. And then a little later I show him what I really want. Compared to the flowers, my real choice suddenly looks so much better.

Good luck with you decision....there are so many great options out there!

Kim March 25, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I love the book fabric (prefer it centered on the pillow). Is it worth fighting for? Probably not. There are ton's of fabric selections. If you are "sold" on this fabric, use it for something else.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home April 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I like the idea of using iterations of the same fabric throughout the home. I like the fabrics themselves and I actually like using them both ways. But as regards the battles with your SO, I don't think it's worth it. There are so many beautiful fabrics and you will love what's in your home more if you can both enjoy it.