A Little Closet Conversion

>> 3.04.2010

What do you do with your small bedroom closet when you buy an amazing 10 foot PAX from IKEA Craigslist? Well, you build in some shelves!

Waaaay back in August, the space looked like this:

During the bathroom renovation, a few feet of space needed to be cut out and we ended up with this (which I showed you here):

This space was really only enough for um, maybe half of my things... so in came the IKEA closet idea and out went the little closet. Instead, it now functions as the perfect nook for my tv and storage for things like linens. {I know, "enough with the boxes already!" I'll tackle the decor a little more creatively when it's time to redo the entire master bedroom... promise! I also promise to add some baseboard to that one wall :).}

How did we (Nate= builder/ Kasey= painter) do it?
A structure was built around the walls to hold each of the three shelves. We used a level, found the studs, and just copied what we saw used in the pantry's shelves.

Wood was cut to fit perfectly in place. You can see that the top shelf was cut from a much sturdier wood than the bottom two... we weren't willing to risk anything happening to the tv! A front panel was added so that each shelf would look to be uniform (see above).

We made sure to plan for the wires that would run up to the tv and cut specially hidden holes.

We also measured so that the lower shelf would be at the perfect height for a dog cave :).

Before you say anything, I know it's a little crazy that we have such a nice TV in our bedroom (doesn't look so thrifty), but what happened was that I had splurged on a nice TV (when my other one broke and on post-holiday sale) before I started seriously dating Nate so when he moved in we were "stuck" with two nice TVs.

Budget Breakdown:
Wood: $35 (including heavy duty wood for the top shelf and a few scraps that we had on hand from other projects)
Screws: $8
Paint and primer: $15 (including coupon)
Tools and other materials: $0 (used supplies we had on hand)
Total: $58

Have you creatively converted any of your closets to better suit your needs? Any other dog caves out there? Ideas for how to best decorate my box shelves?

PS I'm joining in on the fun over at Remodelaholic...

Babs March 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I love how much organizing space you created with the shelves!

The closet in our master bedroom was converted to a half bath by the old owners, and we never use it. We're planning on ripping it out and converting back to a closet, complete with some custom built shelves. Haven't figured out yet if I want a door or a curtain to "close" it yet though.

Thanks for the step by step on the shelves!

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman March 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM

That looks great! Our dog has a little sleeping nook between our Ikea closets. :)

The Brick Cottage March 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM

It looks great (even with the boxes!). I love how you incorporated the dog cave, very creative and functional!

Jamie Lee March 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM

This looks so great Kasey!! You two did an amazing job.

Danielle and Clint March 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM

You need to let me borrow Nate for a few days! He did a fab job!

Katie March 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM

i really like the dog cave. my dogs would love something like that! plus i'd love to not have 2 giant dog beds sitting in the middle of our bedroom :-)

Ashley Mutschler March 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Awesome ideas (and great budget too)!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home March 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM

After you stopped my blog and told me about your adventures in bedroom tvs, I was very curious! This is perfect, thank you for sharing!

Mrs. Chic March 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I really like this idea of a tv nook and room for the dog is perfect

Dayka (Life +Style) March 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM

it's not crazy that you have a nice tv in the bedroom! if you guys love it, and like to relax in bed while perusing, more power to you! i actually enjoy watching tv in bed and am debating on whether to get a flat screen or stay with the tube tv i have (and use it in the armoire i'm refinishing). anyhow, i love the nook you guys created--very ingenious and it looks great.

i'm planning a closet re-do for my office since it's oddly shaped and would be better suited to storage for books, magazines, and papers. i'd love to share it when i'm done. also, i love that you still use your tote!

carrie March 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM

We made a laundry/linen closet out of the small closet in our bedroom - http://brickcitylove.com/2010/02/11/quicky-closet-make-over-free-download/. It's working out SO well for us!!

Low Tide High Style March 4, 2010 at 7:55 PM

That is the perfect spot for storage and your tv! Plus your puppy seems to think it's a great place for hanging out, I love it! And I like your boxes, they even coordinate with the cute dog bed!

Kat :)

Nikki March 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Nice project! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

McCarthy Designs March 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Hi, Kasey, what a great idea and what a great use of the space. I just came across your blog and I look forward to reading more.
Nellie xx

Meg March 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Wow! I would so hire you to organize my life. You did such a great job!