A Little Green for St. Patrick's Day...

>> 3.17.2010

The garden started growing already! Check it out:

You might notice that the lettuce seeds seem to have been thrown around everywhere. I promise, Nate did his best to plant them in an orderly fashion. It's these two that are to blame:

While the seeds were freshly planted, they decided to do a little of this:

and a little of this:
(I swear that they're actually BFF's!!)

...in the garden box! So, this past weekend we added $10 of chicken wire to the garden's grand total, making this a $138 project.
It's highly doubtful that we'll get $138 worth of veggies out of this garden (even over the course of a few years), but this project was about more than the possibility of getting fresh food:

*It was good practice. You can't become a master gardener all at once and by beginning to dabble in gardening now, we'll have great experiences to look back at in the future.

*It adds to the look of the yard. We're in need of some serious curb appeal around here and this garden is a nice first step!

*It's so "in" right now. We'll never become true members of the "Go Green" club without planting our own veggie garden first!

*It's fun. I swear, I've never seen a grown man so excited about a few beans popping out of the ground :). Nate and I love watching the garden's progress each day after work!

Why do you garden? ...or do you actually get your money's worth of food?

Kate March 17, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I don't garden (I have a black thumb), but think it's really cool that you're already seeing growth!

Stacy March 17, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Awww your doggies are so cute!!!!! It's hard to get mad at those faces, right!?

craftosaurus March 17, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I'm not sure if we save money on food from the garden versus the grocery store, but even if we don't, the veggies we grow are fresher and tastier... and like you said, gardening is just plain fun!

Danielle and Clint March 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM

No matter if we save money or not, I just love watching our garden grow! Plus, the food is super healthy and tastes a million times better than what you get at a grocery store! My doggies battle like that also!

Meg March 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Lee is the plant man. You can point to virtually any plant or tree and he knows not only its common name but its latin name as well. He minored in horticulture in college and he plans parks for a living. You'd think we'd have the most amazing yard ever. And it's totally embarrasing that we don't. At all.

My excuse is that we moved in over the summer and it was too late to start a garden, but now the pressure's on. We're currently discussing strawberries, raspberries and daisies.

Yours, however, is looking fabulous! I'm inspired by all of your green! Fabulous as always!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty March 17, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I love gardening and I agree that there are so many more benefits than the possible cost savings. It does feel nice in the summer to have smaller grocery bills and tons of fresh stuff from the garden and just not think about how much money it took to get us there. I also feel your pain with the pups....chicken wire is going to be a must-have this year if we ever want to be able to eat a strawberry!

alanna rose March 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

You might be surprised at how much money you'll save without having to buy a few veggies every week. And if you're able to put some up for the winter, it feels wonderful to know you are eating "locally" even in Dec :) Plus, taking a few extra veggies to the neighbors is so much fun.

The chicken wire will also save your lettuce from the rabbits! We're building a salad table this year to keep them from turning the garden into a buffet.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards March 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM

We had to fence off our garden, too.

We definitely didn't come out ahead with our garden last year. This year, we just might. =)

For us, it was more about learning a lot and knowing what goes into feeding us and knowing what goes into our food. It was an awesome experience.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner March 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I am looking forward to seeing your garden grow! We don't have a veggie garden, but it's something we'd like to try someday. I think it would be awesome and very fulfilling to grow your own fresh produce. Good for you guys!

McCarthy Designs March 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM

We are not great gardeners and we get really excited about seeing things grow. Our beans (the couple that grew) didn't even make it inside, there is something that makes your vegies taste better straight from the garden! xx