Little Green Tags

>> 3.15.2010

Ah, the sight of a massive markdown... it just makes your heart go pitter-patter, right?!

Lowe's is now officially on my top ten list of best places to score great deals. It's all about that little tent.
I've heard that you look like less of a clearance sale stalker if you hide behind a tree...

You know, the clearance tent. Most stores have some sort of a clearance section and all are usually great places to look for deals. The clearance section at Lowe's is a little different and it's all because of those little green tags.

What's the big deal about their green tags? Well, what I've found in the past few weekends is that the employees use those tags make up new prices. Unlike at most retail stores where price sheets come down from corporate, these final clearance prices are completely up to the employees.

My first experience watching them do the markdowns happened the weekend before last where an employee makred these drawer organizers down to $1 as I was looking at them. He said, "I think I'll make these $1, I'd like to get one too."

Luckily, I was able to catch another major markdown session this past Saturday where I bought a new light for my ceiling fan and four boxes of outdoor solar lights (I told you this place had big plans).

(That's $10 for a box of six solar lights!)

My suspicions that the employees make up the prices were confirmed on Sunday when I was back at Lowe’s again watching their clearance rug selection getting slashed down to $20 (sadly, I couldn’t find a reason to buy one).

Unless you happen to go to Lowe's as much as I do (I’ll talk about why I was there so much later this week), you'll probably have a hard time catching the clearances items as they're marked... so what good does this discovery do for you? Now you know the amount of power that the Lowe's employees (probably the managers) have over the pricing. This means that that the prices of clearance, damaged, and returned merchandise can probably be negotiated down further! Go out there and cite a few reasons why you think an item is unfairly priced... don't forget to suggest the price that you think is more appropriate. *cross your fingers that I'll be able to use this on a refrigerator!

Have you ever scored big in the Lowe's clearance section? Do you know of any other big box stores that give employees control over pricing?

Jennifer March 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Thanks for sharing this. I always skip over Lowe's clearance but it looks like there are really some good deals!

And it is nice to know we can probably haggle a little bit there!

evitafjord March 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I've never seen a tent or a green tag at our Lowe's, but have seen manager discretion in use. I wanted a roll of stair tread (not sure that's the right term - stuff to make my deck steps not slippery) but they were out of the 2 inch I wanted so the manager marked down the 4 inch to the same price for me.

The Brick Cottage March 15, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Yes! I had a Lowe's employee mark down some hardibacker board for us because it wasn't a full sheet (about 3/4 size) and she knocked it down from $10 to $2. You got some great buys!

Heather @ McKinney Living March 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM

WOW great deals!! I had no idea they allowed their employees to price - I will be stalking behind trees now, too! ;)

Sarah March 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM

After seeing your hope for a deal on a new refigerator at the end of this post, I came across this link you might find helpful!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM

@Sarah~ Wow! I knew about the EnergyStar rebates, but I didn't know about that one. It looks like I can qualify for $240 off of a new refrigerator and $75 for recycling my old one! Thanks for the tip :).

LizzieBeth March 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My cousin is a manager at Lowes. I asked her about this and she had no idea what I was talking about...

Meg March 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Oh, wow! This is so helpful to know now that we're shopping for beadboard. You are so clever, Kasey! Without you, I'd never know tips like these!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM

@LizzieBeth~ Maybe it is only for those super clearance items? I swear, I watched the people make up prices not one, but THREE times! ...or maybe it wasn't the managers who did it? I hope I don't get my Lowe's in trouble!

Mrs. Chic March 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Great finds - talk about a steal!

I noticed that there are clearance closet items at my local Lowes - but havn't found anything at the great bargin you found

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner March 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I definitely do not go to Lowe's enough, because I've never seen clearance sales like this - or a tent! I'd love to snag some of those $10 solar lights. That is awesome!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic March 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

There are a few clearance racks in my Lowes, but I've never seen these tags! Lucky duck!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend March 16, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I love little green tags and always drawn to them.....

Love your blog.

A few hours to blog hop tonight....Hope you will stop by mine....I have another giveaway starting tonight...

Teresa

Rebekah Greiman April 13, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I love Lowe's, as well. Especially their 'oops' paint. I just posted a how to make a piece of plywood and oops paint come together in a beautiful way, and become 'art' for your wall.
Here's the link: