My Closet

>> 3.02.2010

I showed you how I saved $1,500 by buying an IKEA PAX wardrobe used off of Craigslist (Thrifty Tip: the major costs are in the drawers and accessories and buying a used wardrobe shell usually won't be worth the hassles) then I shared how I fixed up a broken glass panel and created a custom look for the doors... but I never shared the final results. And well, what would closet week be without a look into my closet!? Let's take a look:

Here's a peek into my half of the 10 foot x 8 foot monster.

I had so much fun planning out all of drawers and shelves. After living with this set up for a few months, I'm still loving it!

One splurge that I would suggest to anyone is to buy matching hangers (my wooden hangers are from IKEA and were on sale in January)! It might also be helpful to organize your things by type and color. Black and navy tops are on my "No Buy" list!

I even sprung for the wooden skirt hangers ($1/each). I keep telling myself that I can't buy any more skirts because I don't have any hangers left :).

All of the drawers were included with the $500 I paid for the closet... even this amazing accessory drawer!

I love the girly curves at the ends of all of the drawers.

At first look It might seem like one drawer isnt' much, but these things are deep!

I'm able to keep almost all of my shoes in the base of the closet...

but there's always the hall closet for the overflow of t-shirts, seasonal shoes, purses, and coats.

Can you believe that Nate gets to use the exact same amount of space for his clothes?!
I know, I'm a nice girlfriend.

Maybe we'll have a look into his side later... Remember, I'm featuring other closets on Friday so make sure to send a link to your blog post or email me: kasey(at)thriftylittleblog(dot)com.

How do you store your clothes? Do you have a fancy light fixture, fun paint, and matching hangers in your space... or do you just throw everything in and hope the door shuts behind you?

stacy di March 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I'm totally impressed with your organizational skills!! your closet looks great. Mine? Not so much.

Kate March 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Now I have a serious urge to "decorate" my closet! This looks so great!

Mrs. Chic March 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Nice, we just added a basic closet system to the interior of our closet all wire yep! lol

I love your closet and the jewerly trays - talk about perfection!

Danielle and Clint March 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I was wondering what you were going to show off the finished product! I love the hidden jewelry rack! Looks great, Kasey!

Ashley Mutschler March 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I have a smallish walk-in closet. It's a little lackluster at the moment. I LOVE yours, though!

Meg March 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM

"Any closet is a walk-in closet if you try hard enough"- Steve Connelly

I saw this quote on a blog the other day and I think you just proved that! I, unfortunately, have not. But you have totally inspired me! you're so organized!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home March 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Kasey, I am in LOVE with your closet! So organized - a girl after my own heart.

Also, I think matching hangers are key for the uniform, more pulled together look. I wonder though, did you investigate the thin, "huggable" hangers? They have an almost velvet texture, and save so so so much space. I recently rehabbed my closet and went with those.

Dayka (Life +Style) March 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

this really looks great! love that there's a place for your baubles, too!

thanks for making me feel better about the donation swipe. :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

@Kim~ Thanks! Yes, I have an appreciation for those thin velvet hangers (and I swear, get hooked to the TV when it's on the shopping network), but I'm a girl in love with wooden hangers :). Plus, I knew that having the extra space would mean that I would use it all and I really want to try and simplify my wardrobe as much as possible.

priscilla March 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

oh my gosh your closet has me DROOLING! i love it! great organizational system! our master bedroom closet is sort of on the smallish side and it's a total mess. you have me inspired to invest in wooden hangers and get things organized once and for all!

carrie March 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM

We have a free-standing elfa unit and LOVE it!

Love you PAX!!!

AngieB March 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

OK, I'm feeling some serious closet envy right now! I just cleaned mine out but your organization and use of space is, well . . . I'M NOT WORTHY! (insert Wayne's World visual here)

change is a good thing March 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I have closet envy!!! Right now the closet is pretty low on our priority list, but seeing this, it might have to bump up the list a bit. Oh, once the kitchen is done, it'll be time to think of what the next project is going to be. Bathroom or closet? Bathroom or closet? Hmmm...DH is not going to be happy when I start talking about the next project. :) Yours looks great, thanks for sharing!

Lauren March 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Your closet looks awesome! I also have a love for wooden hangers.

How is the pup doing?

Carmie - the Single Nester March 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Looks terrific! I wish I had a huge walk-in closet with a sexy chandelier and tons of storage. Alas, not until I win Lotto.

Heather @ McKinney Living March 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM

CLOSET ENVY right here! Fantastic!!

Also - you are a VERRRRY nice girlfriend! :)

micah @ the yellow front door March 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM

This puts my closet to shame. I am too lazy to organize my clothes by color. Love your wooden hangers!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM

@Lauren~ We're still having a few issues with him (his puddles), but I'm sure these things don't get fixed overnight. On the plus side, we do find him cuter every day!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now March 2, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Wow!!! :) I wish our closet looked like that. :)

Anny March 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM

The whole thing is awe-inspiring but I'm most jealous of your accessory drawer. How handy is that!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno March 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM

You have done a wonderful job with your closet, and you are a very generous woman for sharing as much as you do! I think it's funny that you have a lot of black and blue clothes, where I just have too many rainbow colors.

I think everyone in blogland has seen enough of my 'closet' so I'll spare the link! haha

Alicia (The Red Deer) March 2, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I love it so neat and organised!

donkee March 3, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Wow...you're so NEAT! I'm very envious of your space...I love that everything has its own place, even jewelry!

Great job :)

LizzieBeth March 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Wow. I am soo in love with your closet.. Trish Surh would be proud!

Our bedroom closet doubles and general storage for us too, so we had to add a lot of Closet Maid. If I think of it, I'll get you some before and after pictures!

dolores @ "Welcome to My Humble Ablog" March 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I am so jealous over your closet! I tried to keep my clothes color coordinated but I ended up wearing purple 3 times in one week; not cool.

I have those non-slip clothing hangers (thank you QVC); love them to pieces!

spark! (Ada-Marie) March 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Wow, Kasey! Looks great. I love the matching hangers -- you have inspired me to find some of my own!

corner wardrobe April 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Your closet looks great! I'm totally impressed with your organizational skills!!

3 door wardrobe May 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

this really looks great! love that there's a place for your baubles, too!