Banned from Craigslist

>> 4.13.2010

Don't worry! Craig and I are still BFF's... this ban is more of the unofficial boyfriend variety. You see, he's a little jealous. I'm getting quite close with Craig...

Some of my finds (like this West Elm Parsons Desk) are okay with him because he knows that I need them (I didn't have a desk) and they don't require any TLC.

Others are getting on his nerves...
I love this nightstand. I mean, LOVE it! It's mid-century, solid wood, and has some pretty amazing hardware and detailing. Okay, so it needs a little extra loving before it will be fit for our bedroom (which only had one nightstand), but I couldn't pass it up for just $20. Just look at how expensive those pieces are on Ebay!

Oh, and I know it looks super trashy in my front yard, but I promise it's in the garage all day!

In my opinion, the more solid wood pieces that I can move into my home, the better... so I went for this $40 cabinet. Yes, it would need a new coat of paint or stain, but it would be a perfect piece to catch all of our mail, shoes, and bags:

I know, I still haven't finished the Pottery Barn table overhaul that I planned in October... I promise that it's coming this week!! Some Craigslist projects are worth waiting months for, right (just say yes)? Just look at Micah's chair!

As if the unfinished table, chairs, nightstand, and entry cabinet weren't enough... I just had to bring home one more project this past weekend. I think it was what truly did me in. I was at an estate sale this past Saturday (you know, as part of the challenge) and just couldn't pass this chair up:

I found this mid century piece in near-perfect condition for just $10. I rationalized the purchase because I could think of two places that I could use it in (bedroom or entryway) and I knew I could sell it on Craigslist for three or four times what I paid if Nate wouldn't let me keep it (there's a really big market for mid-century pieces in Austin).

Nate put an end to my furniture-buying spree when he saw the chair.

We agreed that I would finish the projects that I've started before I make any more clutter in the garage. So it looks like you have a few things to look forward to on the blog. Before I can buy anything else on Craigslist, my projects will include:
*Pottery Barn chair makeover
*refinishing wood entry cabinet
*painting master bedroom nightstands and bed
*altering and painting Craiglist coffee table (I didn't even mention this above)
*painting dining room buffet
*installing new dimmers and IKEA hallway lights
*recovering mid-century Craigslist chair?

How many unfinished projects do you have on your plate?
Anyone else see why I *needed* to buy the nightstand and chair? Do you think the chair is worth keeping or should I sell it for a profit?

PS For the record: I'm not buying anything that doesn't have a space in the home. That chair from the last picture was actually the only thing that I bought during my garage sale trip last week (I promise I'm not buying a bunch of crap).

The Brick Cottage April 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Oh my gosh, I love all of your finds! I can't wait to see what you do with them. I think you should play around with different locations in your home and see if you love the chair in them...if not sell that baby and use the profit to buy something else.

Kerry @ First Time Fancy April 13, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Seems like we're in the same boat! We have a nightstand, a desk and two chairs, a dining room hutch, and possibly more, sitting in our garage waiting for us to get to them. One day! :) Looking forward to your transformations!

Elisa @ whatthevita April 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM

HAHA! We're in the same boat - my husband has banned me from even looking at Craig's List except for nightstands for our bedroom. At least, until after our vacation this summer :-) We agreed on a long list of projects that we MUST finish before the trip, so I can't buy anything more until then.

Oh well! At least maybe you and I will finally make progress on furniture that's sitting in our garages.

AND - SWEET nightstand! Love it to death.

Flavia @ Estilo Home April 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I haven't made any recent Craigslist purchases, but I do have a few projects on my plate that have been on my list for a while...one of them is finishing painting a cabinet that I started back in November! I keep saying every weekend that I'll finish it...

Mrs. Chic April 13, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I have too many to name! lol - I'm doing my best by avioding Craigslist and only looking for items we need, not just good deals! It's so hard sometimes...lol so I so feel your pain!

Sarah April 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Lets see...

1. The kitchen table is currently on our deck, waiting for final sanding, staining etc...
2. A television stand that desperately needs to *not* be a distressedc country sage green.
3. Child's dresser and night stand

This is just the furniture. I don't even want to include the stairs, walls, wood trim and yard projects.

Audreya April 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

When did we start our kitchen makeover... January? Is it done yet? Not even close. So I can't make any sort of comments about unfinished projects. :-) But I do love that chair.

chacha April 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I have no idea how many projects I have. Probably 4-6. But you definitely have a lot of refurbishing to get on with.

You can knock out the dimmer install in an hour or less. Easy peasy.

I also can't seem to help myself with the Craigslist. I got two antique electric fans last week for $10 each. Cleaned up one but the other one is going to take a lot longer to rehab!

Kate April 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I love that nightstand! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I love mid-century stuff.

I try really hard to stick to one project at a time, but when you find something good (like you have!) you have to grab it!

hiphousegirl April 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Boy DO I have unfinished projects! I haven't finished the kitchen, because now that it's functional I can't stop cooking in it.

I love the chair- don't sell it. Even if you got a $30 profit from it, you would spend more than that getting a new one. It is really a great piece!

Life in Rehab April 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Kasey,

Remind Nate how light his wallet would be if you just drifted into
Pottery Barn. It worked like a charm on Sam 20 years ago.;)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Oh gawd, I have about a million projects on my plate, however mine involve entire rooms contents being displaced, so I think you are still better than me! I love what you've found, I would've bought all of those items too, if I had places for them!

Katie April 14, 2010 at 7:54 AM

thanks for the comments yesterday :-) love the nightstand, the hardware is so great!

i too have been banned from craigslist by the husband. not that i don't still look, cause i do!