Bathroom Waterpark

>> 4.23.2010

This was the scene in my bathroom this morning:
Can you tell what is going on?

The tube that brings water into the toilet burst off at about 7 AM. This caused water to shoot EVERYWHERE. Simple fix, right? All I needed to do was turn the water that goes to the toilet off. That would be simple if the turn didn't lose all traction and refuse to work.

On to plan B: shut off water to the entire house. This would be easy if the shut off valve wasn't covered in dirt/ rusted/ missing its handle...
Here's the pile that had to be dug of the hole.
This rusted fixture should have an easy to turn handle.

Plan C: Call the emergency plumber while sitting on the toilet and trying to direct the gushing water into the tub:
At 1 1/2 hours into my wait, I just had to laugh at how crazy it all was. Most people would have been able to simply shut off the water to the house and wait for someone to come by and fix the problem. Thanks to 3 different breaks, I got to spend my time SOAKING wet with toilet water trying to keep a steady hand so that the stream wouldn't spray into my face (again).

*Don't worry, we didn't take any pictures until we realized that the only option was to wait for the plumber.
As a fun bonus to the whole thing, it looks like the ceiling to the kitchen will be replaced again!
With the plumbing ($212) and kitchen ($200-400) damage, I'll be lucky to get out of this mess with under $500 in damage. Oh, but did I mention that the whole problem was caused by a water pressure issue? Installing a new regulator and shut off valve will put me back $700. Total unexpected expenses: around $1,200. Again, a big shout-out to the emergency fund.

Want to make me feel better?
Join the challenge! It's your last weekend to go out and challenge yourself at a garage sale... Maybe you've never been to one? Maybe you're guilty of being too picky about the ones you stop at? Try something new then come back and share your goodies with me (via Linky party) on Tuesday, April 27th!! I'll be sure to follow up with a recap post full of great finds!

Nicole R.J. April 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Oh my goodness, poor you! I can't believe it took so long for a plumber to come knowing that you had water spewing into the bathroom!

I'm off on another round of garage sales tomorrow, hopefully better luck than last week for which I have nothing to show at your party! *lol*

Mrs. Chic April 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That sucks!! I'm so gadl your home when this happend, my parents hoyse flooded before due to the icemaker! not fun.

Garage sales are fun, I'm sure I'll stop at a few over the weekend, next weekend we re having our home Garage sale!

The Brick Cottage April 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Oh my gosh! At least you were able to keep a sense of humor about it! I can't say that I could have if that was my situation.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife April 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM

OH MY! Good for you for keeping a good sense of humor about the whole ordeal! = )

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM

NOOOOoooo! I can't see blog pictures at work anymore and I NEED to see these pictures! Stupid company firewall....anyway, that sounds like a big mess. I don't have anything quite that funny to make you feel better, however when we were trying to get homeowners insurance before closing, they wouldn't cover us for a reasonable cost until we upgraded the old fuse electrical to circuit breakers. To the tune of $1300. So, that was an unexpected fix right from the start. Welcome to home ownership, right??

Katie April 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM

wow! that is no good! i have never heard of such a thing happening!

Katie April 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Wow. We just had a contract accepted on our first house. This is so encouraging! ;)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM

@Sara~ Just imagine me, but soaked in toilet water...

@Katie #2~ Ha, maybe you too will be the owner of your own personal waterpark?!

Kate April 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM

OMG! That is nuts! I've never heard of such a thing happening!! That pic of you cracks me up though - I love your attitude. If you have to get soaked with toilet water, you might as well laugh while you're at it!

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life April 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM

YIPES! So glad that you were able to have a sense of humor about it all!

Anonymous,  April 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I've been having one of those "every little thing goes wrong" days....you really put it all into perspective for me...with a smile!

Thanks for a great attitude!
Mary

Lauren @ with two cats April 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Wow that so looks like something that would happen to me! When it rains it pours, right?!

Meg April 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Nooooo! Oh, Kasey that sounds AWFUL. But I have to admit that when I saw the photo before reading the post, I thought, "Wow, she looks like she's having so much fun!" You couldn't have handled that situation with more class. I love that you laughed your way through it! If you can get through being drenched in toilet water while having to direct the rest of the flow while waiting for a plumber with that much humor, you are going to do very well in your life.

Props once again for your emergency fund!

Life in Rehab April 25, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Yeah, one of my favorite words as the owner of a historical home is "SURPRISE!" We were actually laughing on the lawn the morning we watched the firemen rush inside with hoses.

Seriously, what else can you do but think how absurd things are and laugh?

Jenny @ Anything Pretty April 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Oh that stinks...and I am so impressed that you can have a sense of humor about it. We had a similar situation with a toilet and the shut-off not working....but luckily the entire house shut-off still was working. But of course not until our kitchen ceiling looked like yours. Aren't homes fabulous?

chacha April 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Well, it's nice that you can laugh about it - I think I would have been cursing :o)

At least the nice tiled walls around your bathtub are waterproof!

I guess the moral of the story is when you move into a new place, check the water shut off valve and make sure it works. Luckily mine always has when we've had plumbing issues, but it never occurred to me that it might not be able to shut off.

Carrie @ Two Poms and a House April 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM

wow! I do not envy your bathroom waterpark party. Hope you have no more unexpected repairs for awhile!!

Tran April 29, 2010 at 9:55 PM

OMG this is my nightmare...