Budget Breakdown: Dining Table and Chairs

>> 4.21.2010

As promised, I'm back with a budget breakdown for that big table and chair project:

The Table:
Transforming this thing was a doozy of a project (mostly because I had no clue what I was doing!), but it was all smooth sailing once I learned how to do things correctly. {Make sure that you read this and this before you start a staining project!} Because of my mistakes, I'm going to have a higher supply total than most will:
$8 sandpaper (and I use a lot!)
$16 wood conditioner (because I bought the wrong type at first)
$14 stain (I had to buy two different shades)
$8 stripper (that didn't help much)
$6 brushes and rags
$9 poly
Total: $47... which should have been more like $20 if I hadn't made so many mistakes!
*I some things like gloves, mineral spirits.

The Chairs:
Painting and recovering the chairs went pretty smoothly so no extra materials here (woo hoo)!
$11 primer
$12 paint
$18 fabric for four dining chairs (3 yards of $10 fabric with 40% off JoAnn coupon)
$15 fabric for two office/ dining chairs
Total: $46
*I had staple gun, poly, and brushes.

Grand Total:
$200 for Pottery Barn table and chairs off of Craigslist
+$47 worth of mistakes on the table
+$46 to recover and paint the six chairs
=$293 for solid wood table and chairs fit perfectly to my taste!

I guess I could have saved all of that work and gone with this PB table (even though the one I bought was from Pottery Barn...):

and these West Elm chairs:

...but that would have cost $1,373 (plus tax). I'll take the same quality for $1,000 less, thanks!

Where do you stand on DIY projects like this? Would you rather look for a deal then make it your own or spend the extra money to save the time? (...and trust me, doing this project took a lot of time!)

Kerry @ First Time Fancy April 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Looks great & at a great cost! :) I'm all about the DIY projects too! I just posted last week about my grandmothers dining table that we transformed to our own taste! It took us a LOT of time, but saved us a ton of money for what it would've cost us to buy something new! Plus, it's so much nicer to tell people you did it! ;)

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic April 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Not bad at all, even with the mistakes! I'm like you - I'd rather save the money and do it myself. I think people use things more when they don't spend a ton of money on them and when they know how to fix them if anything get wrecked (like chipped paint or refinishing another layer of stain).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

@Sarah~ Good point! I'm sure I'd be much more nervous about those chairs (especially with a crazy puppy) if I didn't know how easy they are to recover!

Christie, Describe Happy April 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I am always so amazed on how you find ways to be thrifty! We recently replaced old sliding glass doors ourselves and it is so rewarding now to look at the new french doors and say, "yup I helped do that!" Keep the inspiration coming!

kim April 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

love that table, this turned out great!

Mrs. Chic April 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM

We redid our dining room table and like you it was so worth it!! We did 'spend' extra money on new chairs but saved becasue we got them fomr Ikea - the old chairs were way to country for our taste

Danielle and Clint April 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Hey Kasey, next time you are using a stripper, try Citri-strip. I just used it on something I am stripping and it took the stain off so well! I have used others before and they didn't do so good. More headaches from the fumes than anything. I do love the look though and you did a great job!

Meg April 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Um, whoa!! It looks amazing and way cuter than PB and West Elm. Seriously, props! I love the fabric you used, the money you saved, and the bragging rights that it was all you! Yay, Kasey!!!!

AMAZING!

Sarah April 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I can go either way; it just depends on the project. I'm refinishing our kitchen table and painting the chairs [peacock blue!] right now, which puts me in the "make it my own" camp. The kitchen set has sentimental value to me, so while it's not my taste, I cannot bear to get rid of it. I do think I appreciate the kitchen set more since I have sentimental value and sweat equity into it.

Ashley Mutschler April 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

You did a great job on the table AND the budget.

I can also go both ways on DIY vs. the BIG buy. In your case, I am 100% with you :)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, it really depends. It is so much work to refinish things and sometimes I am tempted to just buy exactly what I want. But I also have a very hard time 'wasting' good furniture, so if I couldn't sell something I'd probably just make it work. I love what you've done, and the price is great!

Mama E April 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Kasey,
Thank you so much for the decorating dilemma feedback. I am going to paint the entire base of the lamp, then wash over it.
I love your blog!!! The way you break down the cost of everything...awesome! I am following you now.
-Mama E
home and hearts

Elisa @ whatthevita April 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I'm sure it felt so, so, so great to type up this post :-) Dining room is definitely looking good! Decided what to do with your buffet yet?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards April 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

ummmm.... yeah I would take it, too. It looks totally amazing.

Alexis L. of One Grand Home April 22, 2010 at 7:58 AM

I always err on the side of saving money but I have to admit, I end up hating most diy projects. I really don't want to sand and paint and modify so mostly I try to find things that are as spot-on as possible in their original condition.

Jenny April 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I'd really rather spend less and make something my own. That way it'll be exactly what I want and I think because of the work put in it I'd appreciate and enjoy it so much more!

Killian Dougherty February 4, 2011 at 7:43 AM

wow, good job, i like your furniture.Im always fan of color black..

plumbing May 4, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Choice of the ideal dining table design for the home depends on the decorating ideas implemented in your home and the space available. For example for those who have less space, then drop leaf or folding dining table could be a perfect fit.

glass dining table June 10, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Great chairs and tables tips you have shared

corner kitchen table April 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

love that table, this turned out great!