Finishing the Refinishing!

>> 4.01.2010

I'm soooooo excited to finally show you my refinished table!
...maybe because it took me THREE tries to get to a table I'm happy with
...maybe because we've been living without a table for several weeks
...maybe because the chocolaty brown color looks so yummy (have I mentioned that I haven't had an ounce of chocolate since Lent began?!)
...OR maybe because I'm so happy with the final product!

Where we last left off, I explained the ten different mistakes that I made in sanding and prepping the table and all of the expert tips I learned from my professional carpenter friend. If I've learned anything in this process, it's that everything after prepping is all down hill! Seriously, the staining part isn't hard at all.
*Thrifty Tip: The Dollar Tree is a great source for cheap brushes and gloves. Quality isn't too important for staining and I'd rather not risk a nice brush. Oh, and if you've ever used stain before, you'll know what those gloves are for (zombie manicure anyone?)!

Staining is as easy as brushing on the stain, waiting for it to soak in, and wiping it off with a rag... but that doesn't mean that I didn't make every mistake possible during this process:
mistake #11 Test the color before you apply it. Believe me, you don't want to re-sand your entire piece after finding out that the stain color you picked out is all wrong.
mistake #12 Don't stain in full sunlight. The sun dries the stain too quickly. Because of this, you can find yourself suck with a sticky, uneven mess. By my final attempt, I realized that the garage (with doors opened) was the best workspace at my house.
mistake #13 Stay away from the wind. Wet stain + dust bowls = bad combination.
mistake #14 Remember to reread and follow the instructions. My stain recommended waiting a good 4-6 hours before applying the next coat. For some reason I remembered reading 15 minutes... and created an uneven, clumpy mess.
mistake #15 Get all unnecessary supplies out of the way. First, I almost used the stripper instead of the mineral oil to clear off the dust... then I actually grabbed and used the dark ebony stain on the table legs instead of the new walnut color (yes, I'm that dumb).

In case you're wondering, here's my all-star cast of staining supplies:

Remember that sea of wood from before?

It's long gone now...

Don't worry about the rug; it's just a place holder until I find one in the right size.

The chairs still need to be recovered and receive a few more coats of paint, but I'm liking the look so far:

What do you think: big improvement or waste of time?
About that buffet... I'm thinking it needs to change. Would you go darker or paint it white?

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life April 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM

HOLY MOLY- WOW- LOVIN IT! I could go on and on... It looks so awesome- def not a waste of time :)

Lauren April 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

It looks awesome!! Definately worth all the hard work!! I can't wait to see the whole dining room pulled together!

Ashley Mutschler April 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I love it! You did such a great job!! I can't wait to see the rest of the room.

As for the buffet, I would go white on the color. I think it would help both pieces to pop!

Kate April 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Yay! It looks awesome! And at least you figured out all the mistakes with your first piece, now you'll never make them again! The white chair looks great with the "new" table too.

Lauren April 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Sorry for the second comment.. but I think I would not make the buffet the same color as the table. It would be too much dark wood all together.

Chris and I are going back and forth about staining our kitchen cabinets darker.. but honestly it scares me and I am sure I would make more mistakes than you!!

chacha April 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I would paint the buffet white and swap out the knobs for something with some color :) Or a crystal/glass knob, clear or a pale green or blue...

Jenn April 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

This looks so yum! I recently refinished a buffet for my dining room and I feel your pain! Polyurethane was my downfall - sand, wipe, brush, dry and repeat - like 6 times! Great job!

The Brick Cottage April 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I think it looks fantastic! Definately worth the effort. My vote is to paint the buffet white--it'll allow the table to be the show stopper.

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog April 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM

The table turned out great!! Great improvement indeed.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic April 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

It looks amazing! Definitely not a waste of time! I think the buffet would look great painted a different color entirely and maybe sand parts down to let the stain come through. I don't know, that's a tough one.

oneluckycouple April 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I LOVE the color of the table! It looks incredible! Great job. I think I'd paint the buffet white... then it'll match the chairs and pull that look together. Can't wait to see it all!

hiphousegirl April 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Definitely not a waste of time- it looks great! About the buffet... I would say to either go white to tie in with the chairs, or stain it darker and maybe do white knobs or something. Actually, not necessarily white knobs. Now I can't wait to see the chairs!

Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com April 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That stain color is great! I really like it. I would do the buffet white, and distressed. Looks great!

www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com

Babs April 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

GORGEOUS! nicely done Kasey!

Mrs. Chic April 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM

you did a wonderfull job!! It looks great! I like the contrast of the white chairs!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home April 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM

beautiful! looks straight from a catalog!

Flavia @ Estilo Home April 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM

It was worth all your effort - it looks great! As for the buffet, I think white would be really nice.

Sarah,  April 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM

It looks fantastic! I would paint the buffet a different color, maybe white or blue?

alanna rose April 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM

The table looks great - definitely worth the effort! And I'm really digging the chairs! I'd paint the buffet, perhaps not white-white, but a faintly-colored white? And try some fun hardware?

Carrie @ Two Poms and a House April 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Looks great! Thanks for the tips! I think that white would look good for the buffet. Can't wait to see what you choose!

Tara April 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Paint the buffet white. That beautiful table needs to be the showcase peice.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

@All~ Thanks for all of the support! I didn't really think that anyone would call it a waste of time... that was kinda a joke... or a trap because we would not be on the best of terms if you would have gone there!

I was already leaning towards white so I'm glad to hear that it's the popular choice. OH, and those knobs HAVE to go!

Carolyn April 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Looks great! I say white for the buffet. Or what about another random bright color that coordinates with some art you plan to put on the wall? Weird? I'm no decorating expert, so ignore my comment if it is.

LizzieBeth April 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Oh... my goodness. It looks AWESOME Kasey! I can't wait to see it with the chairs covered.

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life April 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM

The table turned out great! I'd go with staining the buffet myself, just cause it's such a classic piece.

loribethswan April 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

It looks fantastic!!! I would paint the buffet. And maybe, just for a little added interest, instead of painting the drawer fronts, stain them the dark color of your table, but only the top three drawers, not the all of them.

Loribeth

Heather @ McKinney Living April 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Wow wow WOW! Kasey - what a makeover!! Well worth the work!!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Wowee, that was worth all the pain and agony! Let me tell you, I will never make the mistake of not wearing gloves again. And I think if you put that gorgeous table in my dressing room, it would blend right in with my floors. ha!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty April 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Love the color...you did an amazing job! It was all so worth it.

Elisa @ whatthevita April 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

WOW! Beautiful table, beautiful job, beautiful chairs! Can't wait to see the buffet now. White with cool blue knobs??

The more mistakes you make, the more we all learn from you - so, thanks for recording everything!

Jenny April 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM

LOVE it! The color of the table is awesome, and the white chairs are a nice contrast! Can't wait to see it all finished, bet it's gonna look great!

micah @ the yellow front door April 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Definitely worth it!!! I'm so glad you didn't give up. I never thought of going to the dollar store for paint supplies - great tip! What about a bold color for the buffet - red? turquoise? yellow?

Alexis L. of One Grand Home April 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Oh it is *beautiful*. Your persistence paid off.

Life in Rehab April 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Kasey, you did GOOD, girl! I suggest matching the buffet to the chairs so that the table is a stand out focal point. So far, everything looks like it's progressing nicely toward fantastic.

Laura April 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM

This turned out great! I think the buffet would look great painted white.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you come by again soon!

Carole April 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM

wow, looks sharp! I'd paint the buffet white, too!

Traveling Thrifter April 8, 2010 at 6:08 PM

paint the buffet but stain the "tops" dark

Anonymous,  October 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM

HI Mike,continuing comment from:hinmanrestorations. Your table looks rough in the photograph. If you lightly sand it with the grain with (320 or 400)grit paper and put another top coat on you can build and smooth the finish. This step can be repeated until finish full and flat, as coats build sanding can be more aggresive but do not sand into your color coat. Final rub can be with 0000 steel wool and paste wax. questions / contact me through my website indicated in text. THR.

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust February 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM

It looks great! Thanks for all the help. I think the buffet would look great if it was the color of the chairs.

Warmly, Michelle