Garage Sale Challenge

>> 4.09.2010

Is spring amazing or what? After a winter like we had, I know I'm soaking as much of it in as I possibly can! Although I love the warm weather and beautiful flowers of spring, I must say that my favorite thing that comes with it is garage sale season!!

Now, I know that all of you thrifty blog readers have been to a sale or two (million) in the past so this sign should be a very familiar sight. I have a feeling that the next image is familiar to you as well…

You know that scene: the look of a pathetic sale through the right side car window as you drive right on by... that garage sale that just wasn’t good enough for you. People, it’s time to put a stop to this behavior!

In the next three weekends, I challenge you to  find a day (just one) to shop garage sales without passing by one sale. On April 27 (a Tuesday), we’ll all get back together for a MckLinky party to celebrate the amazing treasures we find and the ways we’ve put them to use. Feel free to try the challenge each week or just one Saturday. Oh, and feel free to grab a party button from the right-hand side of my blog!

I actually began this challenge over a year ago and choose to participate each time I go garage sale hunting. A recent success was when I found a set of sixteen of those yellow and white napkins at a teeny-tiny sale with only one table. The little voice in my head kept saying, "don't bother... they obviously don't have anything," but I pushed it aside and found my new favorite (eco-friendly) table accessory for $2. I don’t think my life dining room table would have ever been complete if it weren’t for that tiny garage sale I decided to walk up to.

Please tell me that you’re in on the challenge and come back on April 27th for the party!!

PS Check out this post for a few more of my garage sale guidelines.

Heather @ McKinney Living April 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I am VERY guilty of lazily driving by "pitiful" looking sales! LOVING this challenge!!!

~Melissa~ April 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Can you believe I've NEVER been to a garage sale?! I now feel like I'm missing out on something. :) I may have to venture out in search of some great deals.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM

@Melissa~ What?! You'll have to join the challenge!

The Brick Cottage April 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I hope I have a chance to go to a garage sale from now until then. I usually drive right by but I really shouldn't since my yard sales usually look like that. haha! I can't wait to see what goodies people have found.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic April 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Great idea! I try not to pass by garage sales, but sometimes after a long day of going from sale to sale I just can't get out of the car for every one. I would love to participate - I just don't know if I will have a day to go garage saling by that date. We'll see, though! I can't wait to read about what everyone else finds!

Christie, Describe Happy April 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM

This would torture my husband. If I can get out by myself.. I am so in! Can't wait to see all the things you find!

Patty April 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I have such a weakness for garage sales ;)

alanna rose April 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM

you're such an enabler ;)

Jenny April 9, 2010 at 4:33 PM

We don't really have garage sales here in Germany, at least not in my area. Too bad, I imagine it would be so much fun to spend a day shopping at garage sales :-(

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

You know, I can't remember the last time I went to a garage sale. I really hate dealing with all the scavengers and feeling bad for the people who are getting haggled with all day. That is why I don't do sales myself! But I may have to take this challenge....

kim April 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM

cute idea, i'm going to have to try this!